Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 08:53 PM

541 posts, read 2,287,014 times

Advertisements

After moving to paradise a while back I have decided to post of a few of the things I think Jacksonville could improve upon. Here is a starter list of the things that suck about Jacksonville which are not mentioned too often on this forum.
  • High percentage of adult male population has mullets
  • Even higher percentage has tattoos…..not just a small, hidden one…..a massive tattoo… like all the way up the freaking arm…totally disgusting.
  • Southern twang from the natives.
  • Confederate flags here and there.
  • Strip clubs zoned into strip malls. Literally, there is a strip mall that houses family dining, a dmv, and a strip club all in a row. That is messed up.
  • A 15 years later follow the leader city.
  • Low-density-unnecessary sprawl.
  • Grits and fishin are number one social priorities.
  • Not just one evangelical Christian station on the FM dial….more like ten. I just want to listen to Sublime…is that so wrong. Should I be preached to 24-7?
  • Public transportation sucks. Almost worthless. Rare and empty buses driving around.
  • Few walkable neighborhoods. Maybe 1% of the city’s population can actually walk to a store of any sort.
  • NPR station only viable source of news-radio.
  • I find the 6 and 11 o’clock news to be more humorous than informative.
  • Going to a public festival is your chance to see thousands of rednecks. Butt cracks hanging out of the pants, beer bellies flopping, tattoos beaming, and enough cigarettes for the whole family.
  • The city closes at 10. Except for a few pockets at the beach and downtown this city is fast asleep at 10….not just on Sunday nights every night.
  • Ethnic food is limited and spread out like crazy. If you want variety in your ethnic food diet you are going to be driving around a lot. 15 miles to Indian, 10 miles to Korean, 7 miles to Puerto Rican….etc, etc.
  • And when you go get ethnic food its usually just going to be you in the restaurant. Not you and the local ethnic population….just you. This city really has little appreciation for world foods or cultures.
  • Very Americanized.
  • Little identity of its own besides the Jags. Nationally this place is off the radar.
  • Even off the radar in Florida. I mean when you are competing against the touristy and international destinations like Miami and Orlando….no one ever thinks of Jacksonville.
  • Brownish, dark blue water at the beach….a little hard to compete with a lot of the beaches in south florida and the gulf.
  • Rare to have educated or intellectually stimulating conversations here.
  • Can’t grow the unique tropical fruits and veggies that you can in south florida.
  • Not too much diversity of people. Very Americanized population. This is the last place a legal immigrant thinks of coming to.
  • No real presence of a university. UNF and JU are off the radar in terms of influencing Jacksonville culture.
  • Where is the nearest post office? Oh great….its ten miles away…and its in a drug store in a strip mall….its not even in a post office building. But at least I passed ten hooters restaurants on the way.
  • Hooters restaurants on every corner.
  • No big time fish market. For a place so close to the ocean….buying local fresh fish is a chore.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:15 PM

472 posts, read 1,544,937 times
Could you please stop venting on our forum. It is really just wasting bandwith. If you have a ligitimate complaint okay, but this stuff is just not funny to anyone with sense. As ill-willed and narrow as your comments are, they are equally annoying. Use those fingers to job-hunt or pack, not type.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:17 PM

702 posts, read 2,186,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
After moving to paradise a while back I have decided to post of a few of the things I think Jacksonville could improve upon. Here is a starter list of the things that suck about Jacksonville which are not mentioned too often on this forum.
  • Even higher percentage has tattoos…..not just a small, hidden one…..a massive tattoo… like all the way up the freaking arm…totally disgusting.
  • Strip clubs zoned into strip malls. Literally, there is a strip mall that houses family dining, a dmv, and a strip club all in a row. That is messed up.
  • Not just one evangelical Christian station on the FM dial….more like ten. I just want to listen to Sublime…is that so wrong. Should I be preached to 24-7?
  • Public transportation sucks. Almost worthless. Rare and empty buses driving around.
  • Few walkable neighborhoods. Maybe 1% of the city’s population can actually walk to a store of any sort.
  • Going to a public festival is your chance to see thousands of rednecks. Butt cracks hanging out of the pants, beer bellies flopping, tattoos beaming, and enough cigarettes for the whole family.
  • The city closes at 10. Except for a few pockets at the beach and downtown this city is fast asleep at 10….not just on Sunday nights every night.
  • Ethnic food is limited and spread out like crazy. If you want variety in your ethnic food diet you are going to be driving around a lot. 15 miles to Indian, 10 miles to Korean, 7 miles to Puerto Rican….etc, etc.
  • And when you go get ethnic food its usually just going to be you in the restaurant. Not you and the local ethnic population….just you. This city really has little appreciation for world foods or cultures.
  • Very Americanized.
  • Little identity of its own besides the Jags. Nationally this place is off the radar.
  • Even off the radar in Florida. I mean when you are competing against the touristy and international destinations like Miami and Orlando….no one ever thinks of Jacksonville.
  • Brownish, dark blue water at the beach….a little hard to compete with a lot of the beaches in south florida and the gulf.
  • Can’t grow the unique tropical fruits and veggies that you can in south florida.
  • Not too much diversity of people. Very Americanized population. This is the last place a legal immigrant thinks of coming to.
  • No real presence of a university. UNF and JU are off the radar in terms of influencing Jacksonville culture.
  • Where is the nearest post office? Oh great….its ten miles away…and its in a drug store in a strip mall….its not even in a post office building. But at least I passed ten hooters restaurants on the way.
  • No big time fish market. For a place so close to the ocean….buying local fresh fish is a chore.
This Sublime? With the tattoos? With lyrics most on here would prefer not to see or hear?

And the post office thing... where the heck do you live?? That is a federal building. They are not in drug stores.
Attached Thumbnails
Jacksonville: Paradise at Last :)-sublime.jpg  

Last edited by apanda; 06-18-2008 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: Saw the post office comment

Old 06-18-2008, 09:19 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,968,935 times
Quote:
  • Very Americanized.
you are just a simple minded little person, these fits are child like tantrums because you don't like it here. If you learned to accept things that are different than what you are used to you'd be a happier person.

and lastly half the crap you posted is inaccurate

Old 06-18-2008, 09:21 PM

702 posts, read 2,186,422 times
Vdecapio, I must ask. I am not sure if you have answered this before, but how did you end up here in this personal hell called Jacksonville and why do you stay?

Old 06-18-2008, 09:49 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,916,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apanda View Post

And the post office thing... where the heck do you live?? That is a federal building. They are not in drug stores.
I have seen them in gas stations in South Florida. In one of these gas stations, you can get a slice of pizza that I think even vdecapio would approve of.

That was off topic, but don't even pretend he had a point there, or anywhere in this thread for that matter. Not even our malcontents are as bad.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:52 PM

39 posts, read 120,427 times
I want a mullet, party in the back!!! its coming back man...i remember having a rat tail....wooooo

Last time i got my hair cut the stylist shaved it off. now back to growing it again

Old 06-19-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apanda View Post
This Sublime? With the tattoos? With lyrics most on here would prefer not to see or hear?

The post office is in Ossis Apothecary on Old Baymeadows Rd. The only other post office within a 5 mile radius is on Sunbeam Rd. Strange, but true. Like the twilight zone here, I know.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
you are just a simple minded little person, these fits are child like tantrums because you don't like it here. If you learned to accept things that are different than what you are used to you'd be a happier person.

and lastly half the crap you posted is inaccurate
Just trying to save some people, like myself, from making a mistake like I did who may read this forum from other parts of the country.

Oh yeah, and this is the short list. I could easily add to this things like: the ocassional camoflauged chevy trucks I see, the dead downtown, etc. etc. This is the short list. Jacksonville really sucks compared to big cities.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:13 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,968,935 times
Quote:
Just trying to save some people, like myself, from making a mistake like I did who may read this forum from other parts of the country.

Oh yeah, and this is the short list. I could easily add to this things like: the ocassional camoflauged chevy trucks I see, the dead downtown, etc. etc. This is the short list. Jacksonville really sucks compared to big cities.
so someone has a truck painted in camo, what's it to you? why is it any concern of yours? Maybe if you concentrated on finding things that enhance your life instead of dwelling on negative things you'd be a happier person! it must be tough going through life always seeing the bad in everything, I feel sorry for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville