Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 04:56 AM

139 posts, read 410,921 times

Advertisements

We looked all over Cedar Creek for you folks yesterday. I'm sure some of have a legitimate reason for not being on the water but there's a few (and you know who you are) that should have been there. It won't be long until we're hunting shade and air conditioning, these are the days we're sorry we wasted in the summer.

We call this River City, drive over bridges all the time and forget why. Not just the big bridges, those little humps in the road with a guard rail on each side are there to remind you - there's water down there! Some of these smaller waterways offer another dimension in boating, imagine drifting through your neighbors backyard and it's OK to be nosy. Meet them, their children and dogs. Drift through the smells of bacon, barbeque and jasmine. Take a moment to watch the water birds and search the trees for owls, chances are they're watching you. Feeling adventurous? Follow a feeder or branch creek as far as you can and get back into the canopy where you're the outsider. There's more wildlife, scenery and solitude back there than you can shake a paddle at! So much this area has to offer, and you just drove right over it, we were down there and heard you...so don't deny it.

Folks, if you don't play on the water you're missing out on our greatest resource. There are several places to rent and a good used market in Jacksonville.

Have kids? Were they wasting away in front of the TV or video game yesterday? If they can handle a remote it's a safe bet they can figure out a paddle. Give it a shot one day - it may stick to their hands.

Here's our trip yesterday, we don't have a high quality camera so bear with the photos. Set the map to satellite view, zoom in a tad and imagine yourselves on the water. Cedar River to Wills Creek - 031112 - Kayaking / Canoeing trip | EveryTrail

I'm not soliciting but there is a clean-up at Pottsburg Creek this Saturday. All Wet Sports has equipment to rent and I believe they're putting out eats too. Sounds like opportunity is pounding at the door.
St. Johns River Cleanup & Celebration » Events » St. Johns Riverkeeper

Here's the fine print: I can't imagine being on the water without a proper flotation device. There are inflatable ones so comfortable you will forget you have it on. Plenty of other models too and they can be very reasonable, find one you can wear and wear it. Please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 05:00 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,889,856 times
Interesting you posted this now. Been wanting to get a kayak since we moved here a year and a half ago. My friend--who moved here about a year ago--and I went and picked up a kayak for him (it's a 2-person) yesterday. I'm hopeful I can get one for myself once my tax return arrives.

I also have a wife and two boys (9 and 6) whom I want to enjoy it as well. Unfortunately, the boys don't know how to swim yet (yes, we'll all be wearing vests but I'd like them to know how to swim before heading out on a boat themselves--with us in another boat).

Might be going out with my buddy on his next weekend. We don't know what we're doing. If you're free, maybe you can show us around.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:09 AM

219 posts, read 511,855 times
My *** arrives Tuesday! Unfortunately the paddle and PFD will take another few days and we have family coming in over the weekend so I probably won't be able to hit the water until the following weekend but I'm really looking forward to it. We are real close to the intracoastal so I'll be paddling there most of the time.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:50 AM

9,027 posts, read 20,450,994 times
No "paddling" for us, but will be firing up the 5.7L/350 hp engine on the old "cuddy cabin" very, very soon! It will be........PARTY TIME!!

Old 03-12-2012, 07:18 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,521,297 times
I paddle my kid year round

Old 03-12-2012, 12:51 PM

139 posts, read 410,921 times
GadgetRick, We're on the water almost every weekend. This Saturday we'll be chipping in to clean up the pottsburg. You should be able to get my email address from the forum - let me know a few days before you want to splash and we'll work out a location. I'm also free during the week now and then... just let me know when it's good for you.

LilMikey, I can't help with the paddle but do have a few vests, let me know if you want to borrow one or two.

I forgot to mention in the post the colors are busting out there too. Azaleas, Wisteria, small white lily type flowers all over the place.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:05 PM

219 posts, read 511,855 times
Thanks Bob, the gear will be here before I'll have time to use it so, no worries. In fact, the paddle itself arrived to day but the boat was delayed until Wed.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:22 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,889,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsim View Post
GadgetRick, We're on the water almost every weekend. This Saturday we'll be chipping in to clean up the pottsburg. You should be able to get my email address from the forum - let me know a few days before you want to splash and we'll work out a location. I'm also free during the week now and then... just let me know when it's good for you.

LilMikey, I can't help with the paddle but do have a few vests, let me know if you want to borrow one or two.

I forgot to mention in the post the colors are busting out there too. Azaleas, Wisteria, small white lily type flowers all over the place.
I'll pm you my contact info.

Not looking good for Saturday. Long story. Maybe Sunday at this point.

Looking forward to getting out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville