Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2008, 09:32 PM

3 posts, read 10,550 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Jacksonville around March and would like some inside info on NAS. We are selling our house here in GA and are hoping to live on base this time around. I already now what all the websites say, but would like anyone with personal insight on the base housing (waiting list average for a 3 bed, best interim housing, etc. Also personal experience with being stationed in JAX. Love it - hate it? Things to do with little ones (2 and 5).
Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 09:45 PM

19 posts, read 77,262 times
Default We lived on Jax

Hello!
Actually we moved here Dec 04 and lived on base until Feb 05. I liked that with the kids there are parks, the river, bowling alley, etc. I didn't particularly like my area, or the floors, or the housing set up. However, I can say that having lived the previous 4 years in housing ---I loved it!! But that was in WA, not here.
NAS Jax has a pool on base that's open during the summer, the comm and exchange are near by. The hospital is on post. There is a McDonalds, and planes that fly frequently to entertain the kids. Right off base there is a Super Target, Firehouse, a place to get massage, and a Navy Federal.
I like Jacksonville, and I'm sure you will also. NAS is in Duval County schools. If you would like further info on the base please email!
Christa

Old 07-10-2008, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,608 times
Red face It's alright

I have been in Jacksonville for quite a while. I have lived off base and on. The housing is "adequate." I also, moved from WA and it was beautiful and had nice housing up here. It depends on what housing you move into. There are ones on base but they are small and kinda "ghetto." There are ones off base. They are called "yellow-water" and are about 10 miles from the base. They are okay depending on what house you get. We had a nice house but the kids that ran the neighborhood unsupervised where horrible. I constantly had problems with theft, broken windows in the middle of the night, trying to pick fights with my kids, etc. I called the police several times and they couldn't do anything. Because this housing is not on the installation, the navy police won't do anything and the regular police come. Also, they changed who takes care of the housing now. It is contracted out now...it is kinda weird. HOWEVER, in spite of all this, the kids and fellowship of other military is far worth living on base. When we bought a house off-base, the kids were rude, mean and teased my kids at the school. The school did nothing about it and I ended up pulling them out of school. This is why I loved living on base even though it was hard. The town is awesome though. You will love Jacksonville!!

Old 11-05-2008, 03:02 AM

22 posts, read 177,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrollypolly View Post
We will be moving to Jacksonville around March and would like some inside info on NAS. We are selling our house here in GA and are hoping to live on base this time around. I already now what all the websites say, but would like anyone with personal insight on the base housing (waiting list average for a 3 bed, best interim housing, etc. Also personal experience with being stationed in JAX. Love it - hate it? Things to do with little ones (2 and 5).
Thanx
My dad worked for 35 yrs at Jax NAS. It is like a city in itself. It has pools, lots of space for recreation. a great PX and some good restaurants. It is close to Orange Park Mall and Roosevelt Shopping Center.There are many churches on Rt 17 also known as Roosevelt Blvd.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:43 AM

43 posts, read 171,605 times
My DH is stationed at Jax, but we have not lived on base. Not real sure of the actual wait time, but I'm pretty sure you will not be able to get in right away. That may be a good thing though. We moved from Maryland and bought our first home. I am a SAHM with a 1.5 and 3.5 yr old. While the base does not have play groups or anything there is a GREAT website for Jacksonville moms (working and SAHM!). www.jacksonvillemommies.com I found it a few months ago and they are great! The coordinate playgroups and things around here and have forums for military mommies and things like that. You may want to sign up and post your question there!

Back to the housing question though... our BAH is $1385/month and found a great house out near Oakleaf (not IN Oakleaf, but near it) for $150,000. We planned our mortgage for around $1025/month with some left over for utilities. It has worked out pretty well for us. If your not in the market to buy a house, there are LOTS of rentals around here. We lived on base in Md and while the housing there was pretty good, I did NOT like the look of the housing on base here (we had moved from Jax to Md) and knew I did not want to live there. We didn't really want to live on base in Md, but the cheapest house we could find up there not in the ghetto was over $250,000!!!! The PP was right in that there is nothing to compare with the closeness of living in base housing though. I do miss the great friendships I made in Md with the people that lived next to me.

Good luck deciding what you want to do! If you have any questions feel free to message me!

Beth

Old 11-05-2008, 11:30 AM

432 posts, read 1,309,093 times
hey!

we'll be moving to NAS next summer as well.

we were in Jax from 2000-2001 and that was long enough for us to realize that Jax is a place we would want to go back to and live possibly after he retires! We're not looking at housing, but are actively looking for a house. We're looking for Clay County homes and are really narrowing down our areas......

Old 11-06-2008, 11:07 AM

443 posts, read 2,135,061 times
you can check out this site

www.cinchouse.com

good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville