Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 10:33 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,059,010 times

Advertisements

I read that Jacksonville has high number of people loitering ,people drinking in public , drunks , open drinking in public , people hanging out .

How bad is it in Jacksonville? Is it worse than Tampa? Or is this mostly in the down town area and north area of the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 10:52 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,303,512 times
There are so many things wrong with this question, every segment has something different to ponder.

What's a 'high number'? Compared to what? Tampa has more drinking in public and drunks, as it's a bigger population with more bars and nightlife.

Hanging out? Is that bad?

If you don't like drinking in public, then stay away from the Beach.

I assume that you are referring to homeless/near homeless people, though not very thoughfully. They are found all over Jacksonville, but the higest concerntration will be at the Beaches and Downtown area. That said, you can live your entire life in both general areas and never have an issue with a public drunk, loiterer, or homeless person.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:13 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,059,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
There are so many things wrong with this question, every segment has something different to ponder.

What's a 'high number'? Compared to what? Tampa has more drinking in public and drunks, as it's a bigger population with more bars and nightlife.

Hanging out? Is that bad?

If you don't like drinking in public, then stay away from the Beach.

I assume that you are referring to homeless/near homeless people, though not very thoughfully. They are found all over Jacksonville, but the higest concerntration will be at the Beaches and Downtown area. That said, you can live your entire life in both general areas and never have an issue with a public drunk, loiterer, or homeless person.
Not really homeless just people hanging out loitering in public or drinking in public or drunk in public.

Taking walk or drive in city how much would see of this?Is this big problem ( it happens lot ) Is it mostly in the Downtown area or North ?

Old 05-18-2013, 11:18 PM

195 posts, read 323,457 times
The only contact I have had in Jacksonville with public drunks, loiterers, beggars or homeless people has been when I am getting gas in my car and they come up and ask for money for gas. Or when I come out of a restaurant they ask for money for food for their "babies." It was much worse in Chicago and Memphis and Atlanta. I have never been to Tampa so I really can't compare thereto here, but then I have only been here for about 3-4 months now.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:22 AM

25 posts, read 52,998 times
It really depends on the part of town you're going to be in. There are homeless people and people smoking/drinking/loitering all over the city - although, like someone else said, the highest concentrations are downtown and at the beaches. If you live in a nicer enclave of the city, you won't see as much of it. But since nice areas are often located right next to shadier areas of town, it's not going to be too far away.

You'd definitely see a little bit of it driving through Jacksonville. And as far as walking through town? People don't walk in Jacksonville. I'm pretty sure it was voted one of the least pedestrian friendly cities in the country. The only places you'd really walk around at are downtown and the beaches - which, conveniently, have the most loiterers.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:08 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,921,060 times
No more than any other city of Jacksonvilles size.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:29 PM

838 posts, read 1,882,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
I read that Jacksonville has high number of people loitering ,people drinking in public , drunks , open drinking in public , people hanging out .
Where in the world did you read this?

Old 05-19-2013, 12:35 PM

16,518 posts, read 26,456,955 times
I had to come in to see how silly this was. I've only been to Jax once but it's just a normal city, I don't understand why someone would tell you this.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:39 PM

195 posts, read 323,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerclassof72 View Post
Where in the world did you read this?
"Tampa" magazine maybe?

Old 05-19-2013, 04:08 PM

838 posts, read 1,882,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
"Tampa" magazine maybe?
Hahahahahahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville