Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 04:10 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times

Advertisements

Since we've had some recent discussion of home construction lately - thought I would ask these questions here (instead of the more general Florida forum).

We're getting close to the time when we'll need to replace our roof. Our roof is a "30 year roof" and - although it's only been 21 years - and it doesn't leak or anything like that - it seems that insurance companies are requiring homeowners here to replace their roofs these days. Don't know why (I'm an "if it ain't broke don't fix it person). But - if our insurance company says "jump" - we'll have to jump.

Anyway - our current roof is "architectural shingles". And it's been fine. Wouldn't mind using the same quality stuff again. But I'm interested in exploring "metal roofs". Just kind of like the look. Are metal roofs better or worse in general than shingles? Or the same. Easier/harder to install? Is a high quality metal roof cheaper/more expensive/the same as a high quality shingle roof? Does a metal roof make noise when it rains? Is it more or less energy efficient (or does that depend a lot on the color)? Are there any other considerations?

I rule out a tile roof. I happen to think that an old/old fashioned tile roof is about the best you can have in Florida. But - these days - the prevailing point of view when putting down a tile roof is a "little dab will do ya" when it comes to attaching the tiles to the roof. In Hurricane Andrew - the old tile roofs were amazing. They stayed in place for the most part. And the newer tile roofs blew away.

Even if you don't know about construction - would you be more or less or equally likely to buy a house with a metal roof than a shingle roof?

Then there are the windows. We have first generation hurricane impact windows. And they're made out of Lexan. They've been great in terms of function. Not a single drop of water has leaked through those windows in 20 years. OTOH - they have a cosmetic issue. Those exposed to the elements in the front of the house have "crazed" (our "view windows" at the back of the house - under cover - are fine).

One of the benefits of the particular windows we bought is that the window panes can be replaced (exactly how - I'm not sure). But replaced with what? Current impact windows are - to the best of knowledge - super thick. A sheet of Lexan or similar sandwiched between 2 panes of glass. No way they would fit into the current window frames. And - if we replaced our Lexan with regular glass - not only would it cost a lot of money - we'd lose part of our (sizable) windstorm insurance discount.

Overall - I am simply inclined to pass this problem along to whoever buys our house when we decide to sell it (probably before we're 80 and we're closing in on that age). It's not like we built this house with resale in mind (if anyone looked at our floor plan - they'd know that in a minute). But if anyone has any ideas...

Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 04:53 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,247,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Since we've had some recent discussion of home construction lately - thought I would ask these questions here (instead of the more general Florida forum).

We're getting close to the time when we'll need to replace our roof. Our roof is a "30 year roof" and - although it's only been 21 years - and it doesn't leak or anything like that - it seems that insurance companies are requiring homeowners here to replace their roofs these days. Don't know why (I'm an "if it ain't broke don't fix it person). But - if our insurance company says "jump" - we'll have to jump.

Anyway - our current roof is "architectural shingles". And it's been fine. Wouldn't mind using the same quality stuff again. But I'm interested in exploring "metal roofs". Just kind of like the look. Are metal roofs better or worse in general than shingles? Or the same. Easier/harder to install? Is a high quality metal roof cheaper/more expensive/the same as a high quality shingle roof? Does a metal roof make noise when it rains? Is it more or less energy efficient (or does that depend a lot on the color)? Are there any other considerations?

I rule out a tile roof. I happen to think that an old/old fashioned tile roof is about the best you can have in Florida. But - these days - the prevailing point of view when putting down a tile roof is a "little dab will do ya" when it comes to attaching the tiles to the roof. In Hurricane Andrew - the old tile roofs were amazing. They stayed in place for the most part. And the newer tile roofs blew away.

Even if you don't know about construction - would you be more or less or equally likely to buy a house with a metal roof than a shingle roof?

Then there are the windows. We have first generation hurricane impact windows. And they're made out of Lexan. They've been great in terms of function. Not a single drop of water has leaked through those windows in 20 years. OTOH - they have a cosmetic issue. Those exposed to the elements in the front of the house have "crazed" (our "view windows" at the back of the house - under cover - are fine).

One of the benefits of the particular windows we bought is that the window panes can be replaced (exactly how - I'm not sure). But replaced with what? Current impact windows are - to the best of knowledge - super thick. A sheet of Lexan or similar sandwiched between 2 panes of glass. No way they would fit into the current window frames. And - if we replaced our Lexan with regular glass - not only would it cost a lot of money - we'd lose part of our (sizable) windstorm insurance discount.

Overall - I am simply inclined to pass this problem along to whoever buys our house when we decide to sell it (probably before we're 80 and we're closing in on that age). It's not like we built this house with resale in mind (if anyone looked at our floor plan - they'd know that in a minute). But if anyone has any ideas...

Robyn

Just know if you do have to replace it, it will cost more because you will have to meet new wind codes.

A metal roof will cost more than a shingle roof, by quite a bit. However, you do get an insurance break for metal, and also, if you use a peel & stick underlayment (which might be standard with a metal roof) you get a break for using that as well.

A metal roof will install in about the same time as shingle, but it is easier because you are installing large panels that cover a bigger area, not nailing down individual shingles.

Yes you will hear the rain, but how loudly will depend on how much attic space and insulation you have.

As for choice, I wanted a metal roof on our house at the beach, but unfortunately it wasn't in the budget.

As for the windows, I'm not sure what "crazed" is unless they are running around trying to kill you or something?? Maybe you mean fogged up??

In any event, you should call American Replacement Windows, they are the experts and could give you a free quote on replacing the glass and/or window units themselves.

SS

Old 03-14-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Just know if you do have to replace it, it will cost more because you will have to meet new wind codes.

A metal roof will cost more than a shingle roof, by quite a bit. However, you do get an insurance break for metal, and also, if you use a peel & stick underlayment (which might be standard with a metal roof) you get a break for using that as well.

A metal roof will install in about the same time as shingle, but it is easier because you are installing large panels that cover a bigger area, not nailing down individual shingles.

Yes you will hear the rain, but how loudly will depend on how much attic space and insulation you have.

As for choice, I wanted a metal roof on our house at the beach, but unfortunately it wasn't in the budget.

As for the windows, I'm not sure what "crazed" is unless they are running around trying to kill you or something?? Maybe you mean fogged up??

In any event, you should call American Replacement Windows, they are the experts and could give you a free quote on replacing the glass and/or window units themselves.

SS
So it looks like the metal roof would be at least worth looking into. I am a light sleeper - and wouldn't want to lose hours of sleep at night during the rainy season.

"Crazed" means lots of tiny fine lines. Which basically = foggy in the worst windows. Like windows in an airplane.

In all honesty - I wouldn't replace the windows. Just wonder what we'd have to discount the house if/when we put it on the market to account for the windows. And other needed improvements (like new kitchen cabinets). Reckon a $100k discount would be enough to cover everything. Then again - we have almost an acre of land - which is hard to come by in these parts these days. Room to expand. So that would be in the plus column.

Think I have run across American Replacement Windows at the JAX home show in the past (haven't been for a few years). Robyn

Old 03-14-2016, 09:34 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Quote:
Are metal roofs better or worse in general than shingles? Or the same. Easier/harder to install? Is a high quality metal roof cheaper/more expensive/the same as a high quality shingle roof? Does a metal roof make noise when it rains? Is it more or less energy efficient (or does that depend a lot on the color)? Are there any other considerations?
Robyn
All I know is one of our GCs, who is a roofer originally, suggests that metal roofs last far longer than all the others. He said it would be more expensive to install, but should give no problems for basically the rest of our lives.

Quote:
Just wonder what we'd have to discount the house if/when we put it on the market to account for the windows. And other needed improvements (like new kitchen cabinets). Reckon a $100k discount would be enough to cover everything.
That is quite a lot of needed improvements!!

Old 03-15-2016, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
All I know is one of our GCs, who is a roofer originally, suggests that metal roofs last far longer than all the others. He said it would be more expensive to install, but should give no problems for basically the rest of our lives.
At age 70 or so - I think most roofs would last longer than I will .

Quote:
That is quite a lot of needed improvements!!
Well if you start looking at things like a 20 year old kitchen - 10 year old HVAC system - replacing floor coverings - repainting (most people like to do those things when they move into a "used" place) - etc. - well it all starts to add up. And that $100k or so would include the cost of a new roof. Which would by far be the largest expense (new roofs here seem to run about $25-35k these days - there are new building code rules that make roofs a lot more expensive than they used to be).

FWIW - I've always been a believer in selling places "as is" as opposed to fixing them up before you put them up for sale. OTOH - we have replaced/refreshed things over the years. But we do those things for ourselves - not for any future resale. Robyn

Old 03-15-2016, 12:17 PM

75 posts, read 103,502 times
I just bought a house that had a 17 year old roof and the appraiser required a new roof as a condition of sale. No option for an "as-is" sale. If you ever need the name of a great roofer then let me know. The building inspector said it was one of the best roof jobs he has ever seen!

Old 03-15-2016, 12:24 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,151,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canajo View Post
I just bought a house that had a 17 year old roof and the appraiser required a new roof as a condition of sale. No option for an "as-is" sale. If you ever need the name of a great roofer then let me know. The building inspector said it was one of the best roof jobs he has ever seen!
Who did you use? My in-laws in PVB used Hagerty Roofing and I've seen them around in my neighborhood as well.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I've seen houses here where the new owners put in a new roof. One just down the block from me that sold a few months ago. So I guess there's no hard and fast rule.

Who is your roofer (our original roofer isn't in business anymore)? One thing I've seen is most roofing crews these days are Mexican. Don't have a clue whether or not they're legal. Robyn

Old 03-15-2016, 03:27 PM

75 posts, read 103,502 times
Quote:

Who is your roofer (our original roofer isn't in business anymore)?
My roofer was Anthony of Hammer Time Roofing. His cell is (904) 716-9149. He is the only one my realtor would recommend. He is very conscientious and professional.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
My roofer was Anthony of Hammer Time Roofing. His cell is (904) 716-9149. He is the only one my realtor would recommend. He is very conscientious and professional.
Did you happen to note if your crew was Mexican illegals or US legals (who could be Mexican too)? Did you check things like insurance - including workers' comp? Many roofing companies here these days are using illegals - and not complying with various worker protection legal requirements. Can't say whether or not your roofer is one of those outfits. Just wondering if you checked.

The roofer who did our house actually went out of business because he couldn't compete with firms that were using cheap illegal immigrant labor. Outfits that weren't paying FICA - or workers' comp - or unemployment insurance. I'm willing to pay more for legal workers whose employers comply with legal requirements these days. But - apparently - most people are only interested in low bids. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville