Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2014, 12:11 PM

90 posts, read 175,265 times

Advertisements

We finally have our transfer to St. John's county-- effective January! Last time we lived there, the kids were 1 & 2. Now we have middle schoolers, boy and girl. My biggest concern is helping the girl make friends.....I guess in a perfect world she could make friends with other "new" kids and not worry about fitting in to groups of kids that have been "friends forever". I am sure she will have those friends also as she is very outgoing and friendly.
We are looking at the neighborhoods off 210. Any suggestions on meeting other new people?
I reached out to the Newcomers club but they are mostly for older people....and I don't really need basic info considering I lived there 10 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,389 times
Wow. That is hard. Best of luck. As long as your family is happy the kids should adjust. I imagine the boy is a sports guy and you are banking on that to ease into friends. Girls, that can be tricky. But some girls may have lived here for years and still not have great friends. What are the kids main interests? Maybe someone will know a great coach or reputable organization. I saw on your profile that swimming is important. Is that because they do it now or it is a passion?

Old 10-31-2014, 06:46 PM

Football ...boy and for the girl competition cheerleading. Swimming is a constant and fun thing to do. I love how the community comes together for swim meets and practice etc. I like Palencia and South Hampton.....from things I heard. She will probably be fine and I am over thinking but if I could help her meet some people I would feel better.....just being a worried mom.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:47 PM

She has also done rugby and theatre.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:01 AM

222 posts, read 425,694 times
Dee, if you are moving to Northern St. Johns County I think your kids will be just fine. The area has grown and continues to grow as many families move here from across the state and country. I often tell my real estate customers in this area that their children are likely to be "the new kids" for only a couple of weeks before another new kid moves in. My family and most others that I know have found people in the area, without exception, to be welcoming and friendly to the adults and kids alike. Also, if you move into a subdivision your kids will quickly meet others at their bus stop, riding bikes, at the ball courts/fields, etc. Like you, I worried about the transition for our kids when we moved here and was happy to frealize that those worries were unfounded. Good luck with your move!

Old 11-03-2014, 06:04 PM

Thank you so much. That makes me feel a lot better. It is nice to hear those calming words.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:37 AM

77 posts, read 112,256 times
Our kids are much younger (twins in first grade) but I have so many of the same fears. She already has a best friend and is upset about moving. I am trying to stay strong in knowing that she is friendly and outgoing and will make new friends easily. Hearing these things about the communities we are looking at as well is calming. My son is also into sports (baseball) and fishing and if we can keep that a constant he will do great. He's never met a stranger though. I am hoping she becomes a swimmer eventually as she loves the water.

Good luck with your move!

Old 11-08-2014, 10:55 AM

93 posts, read 158,348 times
Your kids will be fine! I think that whole area is so new that you're unlikely to run into a large number of kids who have always grown up together.

And even if you did, there would still be lots of kids who will be friend's with newer students!

Old 11-08-2014, 02:19 PM

Thank you. It seems like things always come together for my son. I have already heard from 2 moms that have boys my sons age. So sweet that they want to make an effort to help my son adjust. The girl relationships are the ones I worry about. Girls can be so mean and I just want her to know someone!
I haven't heard anything good or bad about Zone Cheer. Was hoping to hear from all star cheer people....just to get an idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: