Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 11:25 AM

9,401 posts, read 8,369,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Oh gosh...where to start......

1. Nobody cusses you up and down every other sentence, which made me paranoid that people were plotting to kill me. I'm always looking over my shoulder when I hear the phrases Y'all come on back, Yes ma'am, yes sir, and stuff like that. No way people are really that friendly without ulterior motives.

2. The sand....You have no idea how hard it is to clean all the sand off after a long day at the beach. At least the snow melts for 3-4 months out of the year, but this sand crap is here 365 days a year.

3. Taxes - I really feel that there is a conspiracy here to suppress our tax rates and keep our cost of living way lower, which again, makes me paranoid that they are plotting something. My only hope is enough New Yorkers move here over time to vote in enough liberals that will raise our taxes through the roof and give us one of the highest cost of living and poverty rates in the country.

4. Tea - They actually, get this, put freakin' sugar in the tea here and make it sweet! What is up with that $hit?

5. Sunscreen - Nowadays, you have to plan on an extra 15 minutes every single day (20 if you're really fat) to put on sunscreen, and even then, you still end up not being pasty looking and having on overall healthier appearance. I did not bargain for that crap at all.

6. Shaving - down here, because we don't get to wear our 13 layers of clothes for half the year, it is impossible for the women to hide hairy legs for any reasonable length of time. So plan on shaving them a LOT more than you ever dreamed of, because the sun will highlight hairs you didn't even know existed until now.

7. Traffic - more often than not, if you are trying to merge into traffic down here, someone will actually let you in. How do you even deal with that?

I'm sure there are many other negative aspects to Florida living I haven't mentioned, but this should cover the basics.

Good Luck!

SS
Don't forget the boring weather too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 11:35 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Don't forget the boring weather too!
8 degrees and snowing back home today, I miss it!

Old 02-16-2015, 11:37 AM

5,210 posts, read 6,147,251 times
Quote:
Did anyone say or even hint they wanted to bring their former lives here? I am having a hard time understanding the connection there. OP asked about negatives after moving here and people are answering his/her question. I don't believe anyone said anything remotely close to wanting to bring their former city here, but now two people seem upset by the question and their responses, evidenced by a few snarky responses.
I don't think any one meant to be snarky or out of line, but quite a few people that move to Florida find themselves hopelessly miserable.

I was just pointing out the fact that for some people the negativity about their relocation to Florida doesn't become evident until they move here......we are encountering a lot of transplants retiring here and they are quite vocal about wishing the mills would close and the log trucks become extinct. We have been here better than 26 years and we roll with the punches...we will never be locals but the twins will

See link below:

Florida Pros and Cons

Old 02-16-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
8 degrees and snowing back home today, I miss it!
Yeah, I truly don't understand the whole "I love the seasons" statements. You know what I love? Warm weather, blue skies and green grass. I don't miss snow and cold one bit.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I don't think any one meant to be snarky or out of line, but quite a few people that move to Florida find themselves hopelessly miserable.

I was just pointing out the fact that for some people the negativity about their relocation to Florida doesn't become evident until they move here......we are encountering a lot of transplants retiring here and they are quite vocal about wishing the mills would close and the log trucks become extinct. We have been here better than 26 years and we roll with the punches...we will never be locals but the twins will

See link below:

Florida Pros and Cons
I wonder, though, if the same statistics could be shown for nearly every state? In other words, is there any state where people move to where a majority of them don't end up moving elsewhere (or back home)? California? Hawaii?

Old 02-16-2015, 11:55 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,247,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post

See link below:

Florida Pros and Cons

Actually, I was being snarky.

SS

Old 02-16-2015, 02:10 PM

164 posts, read 227,868 times
Quote:
Did anyone say or even hint they wanted to bring their former lives here? I am having a hard time understanding the connection there. OP asked about negatives after moving here and people are answering his/her question. I don't believe anyone said anything remotely close to wanting to bring their former city here, but now two people seem upset by the question and their responses, evidenced by a few snarky responses.
Perhaps not in this post, but I'm jaded by a few other threads with seemingly all too many posts about how bad it is here, how stupid the people are, etc.

So back to the topic at hand. What do I miss about home? - Nothing other than family.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:04 PM

Well, if it's any consolation I feel like IQs and friendliness are inversely related.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:41 PM

90 posts, read 127,483 times
OP asked the question's we've had as well and the answers are pretty close to the concerns we've had as well, 'neighbors who read' etc but common sense tells us we'll attract and be attracted to what we like.... We have been very hard pressed to come up with reasons that will change our plans. We have loosened up on a timeline to find a home and be settled, we think to gypsy it up a bit will be an adventure and give us some freedom to find a suitable location.

I was just looking at homes in WNY on a realty website, and, even though we came from there -- we cannot justify going back to those TAXES and that horribly confining weather. Given that we will still be a distance from family and that we may never return to 'every holiday together' we will continue to look for the deal breaker, just in case there is one. Lol. Can all those people who move be so wrong???

Old 02-17-2015, 11:26 AM

88 posts, read 320,291 times
I agree with Ruger20... the only thing I miss is friends & family. We absolutely love it here.

BTW, my neighbors are well educated. And if they're not, it's certainly not obvious. I guess it depends on the neighborhood you live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville