Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 08:44 AM

19 posts, read 24,447 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I've been on this site for quite some time researching a relocation to the Fruit Cove/St Johns area this summer. I understand the schools to be A rated in St Johns County. Currently we live in Wilmington NC with two boys 8 & 12. Our main reason for leaving is the terrible public school system and uptick in crime recently. My oldest son started middle school this year and absolutely hates it. High school options are also dismal. My inquiry is regarding bullying in Creekside HS & Julington Creek middle. I see some recent issues published online regarding a bullying issue and another story where a loaded gun was found in the parking lot of the HS. While I understand these things happen almost everywhere, I would like to hear from parents that have children attending these schools how they feel about how the school handles such situations and if they feel the school provides a safe learning environment. My son is a straight A student yet socially has a hard time. This move is solely for him. Also, he is a Boy Scout. Anyone have kids in a local chapter there that they would recommend? We are looking at Julington Creek Plantation,Durbin Crossing, and may add others to the list after our trip this month. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 11:21 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,508,201 times
I'm guessing you mean Fruit Cove Middle. The school doesn't have anything to do with the loaded gun, once that is found the Sheriff takes over that one.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:49 AM

9,404 posts, read 8,369,560 times
I'm sorry if this sounds mean, but I think it's tough love time for your kids. Bullying and hating school happens everywhere, from the very best schools to the very worst. To try and move around and avoid that to make your kids happy will mean you will end up moving around forever. If your son has a hard time socially and your response is to move somewhere else you're only ensuring that will continue forever.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:31 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,917 times
For what it's worth, the gun incident was from Creekside HS where the kid drove his dad's truck to school for whatever reason and it was in there. It was handled promptly and properly. The fact that it made news here should tell you that's a pretty rare thing in St. Johns and relatively unexpected.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:22 PM

77 posts, read 112,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moma1031 View Post
Hi,
I've been on this site for quite some time researching a relocation to the Fruit Cove/St Johns area this summer. I understand the schools to be A rated in St Johns County. Currently we live in Wilmington NC with two boys 8 & 12. Our main reason for leaving is the terrible public school system and uptick in crime recently. My oldest son started middle school this year and absolutely hates it. High school options are also dismal. My inquiry is regarding bullying in Creekside HS & Julington Creek middle. I see some recent issues published online regarding a bullying issue and another story where a loaded gun was found in the parking lot of the HS. While I understand these things happen almost everywhere, I would like to hear from parents that have children attending these schools how they feel about how the school handles such situations and if they feel the school provides a safe learning environment. My son is a straight A student yet socially has a hard time. This move is solely for him. Also, he is a Boy Scout. Anyone have kids in a local chapter there that they would recommend? We are looking at Julington Creek Plantation,Durbin Crossing, and may add others to the list after our trip this month. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
I completely understand. Where we are now we would not send our kids to middle and high school, but elementary is good to great. You can find pockets where the elementary school is good but in middle and high when they all blend things change. We actually looked at the Wilmington area but found the same thing there and couldn't find any middle/high schools that looked promising. We were looking for a coastal town close to SC but not in it.

I am relocating as well as you know and I don't have kids your age yet. I have been in contact with folks down there that have been very happy with Fruit Cove Middle and Creekside High. Are you buying or renting? What is your budget like? How much house do you need? Those things may have a big impact on the communities to consider.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:33 PM

I should clarify my post.

My son is not a victim of bullying. We are relocating because the quality of education is poor. There is no advance classes and he is an A student. Bullying is handled by bullier/victim are both suspended and treated equally. I understand tough love in that regard, he goes to jit su and kickboxing lessons for that and teach our kids to defend themselves.

I am glad the gun situation was handled quickly. I was just curious if overcrowding was causing some issues that I am not aware of. Alot of the threads I have read are a bit outdated so I really was just looking for up to date opinions.

My kids are 8 & 12. I am looking to buy 250-300K range. Looking for pool house with 4 bedrooms. Sorry I did mean Fruit Cove Middle.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:03 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,890,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moma1031 View Post
Hi,
I was floored by the recent news about Creekside. Three of my kids graduated from Creekside just in the last few years. We had zero problems in that school. I truly believe (hope) these were just isolated incidents. It's a very, very safe school. We moved here from D.C. (Fairfax) and schools were our number one priority. We have loved Julington Creek Elementary School, Fruit Cove Middle, and Creekside!

As for Boy Scouts. Troop 474 is an outstanding Troop - very organized and active. Boy Scout Troop 474, ST. JOHNS FL | Home Page

They meet at the Unity Church which is located in Julington Creek Plantation.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:26 AM

Thank you so much for your helpful and positive reply mississippimagnolia!

Old 05-07-2015, 09:39 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,917 times
250k to 300k is going to be very difficult for a 4BR and a pool in St. John's county around the areas you are looking. Saint Augustine you could probably find something in that range, but it wont be nearly as nice. Add 100k and you're in.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:48 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,508,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
250k to 300k is going to be very difficult for a 4BR and a pool in St. John's county around the areas you are looking. Saint Augustine you could probably find something in that range, but it wont be nearly as nice. Add 100k and you're in.
agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: