Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,227 times

Advertisements

Looking for as much info as I can get. My husband and I are looking to relocate around Jacksonville or surrounding area, coming from Ocala, FL. We are both in our 30's, three children 2 middle school and 1 elementary age. I am white and he is black. So demographics somewhat matter. I am in education and he is in banking. We are looking for better schools, economy and job opportunities. We are also looking for a good neighborhood for families as well as a church. Any info would be very helpful. This is a big step for our family, so we want it to be right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 09:33 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,573,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrssrwynn14 View Post
Looking for as much info as I can get. My husband and I are looking to relocate around Jacksonville or surrounding area, coming from Ocala, FL. We are both in our 30's, three children 2 middle school and 1 elementary age. I am white and he is black. So demographics somewhat matter. I am in education and he is in banking. We are looking for better schools, economy and job opportunities. We are also looking for a good neighborhood for families as well as a church. Any info would be very helpful. This is a big step for our family, so we want it to be right!

Do either of you have a job offer or the ability to transfer to Jacksonville? Banking is one of the larger sectors of Jacksonville's economy: Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Deutche Bank, JP Morgan Chase and Everbank have large operations here. Mortgage is big in Jax. Macquarie an Australian company is beginning to hire for their North American division, FIS/Blackstone or Blackhawk I cant remember.

Where the jobs are would determine best neighborhood for you.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:41 AM

403 posts, read 935,973 times
Hello, my husband and I lived in Ocala before we had kids. We moved away to PA, had 2 kids, and wanted to move back to Florida. After a lot of research, we decided on the Jacksonville area. Overall, the areas around Jacksonville have some of the best schools in Florida. St. Johns County and some Clay County schools get great reviews. I would not consider living in Duval because of the schools.

From what I have heard, Jacksonville has a fair amount of banking opportunities. Certainly more than Ocala. I am no longer in banking but I used to work for BOA and they have a large office here. I'm not certain about the education field.

Although we loved Ocala before we had kids, we really wanted to be in a place that offered more opportunities and activities. Our neighborhood in Clay County has a very family friendly feel. There are a lot of activities for the kids and we are within driving distance of so many fun places (the Jacksonville zoo, Orlando, Kennedy Space Center, St. Augustine, numerous beaches).

We are still looking for a church to fit our family but there are tons here of every denomination. They seem very welcoming overall.

One of the main negatives to this area is the driving and traffic. Ocala is a nice small town with easy driving (at least when we lived there). Jacksonville was a bit of a shock. The drivers are insane and there are always accidents. I don't get it. We don't really get a huge snowbird population but we have a pretty transient population, with the Navy post, and people in general moving here from various places. So maybe that is it. Also, there are so many bridges and highways. You really need to go on the highways in order to travel around which can really get annoying.

Overall, other than driving and of course missing family, so far we really love it here. It is kind of nice because you are close enough to visit or interview! Good luck on your decision!

Old 03-28-2016, 07:14 PM

375 posts, read 444,711 times
Give us a housing budget, rental and purchase. Do you prefer urban or suburban?

Old 04-27-2016, 03:17 PM

4 posts, read 4,263 times
If you are looking for a good church, come visit one Sunday. We have members from all over Jacksonville.

Westminster PCA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville