Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 05:10 PM

4 posts, read 6,884 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I just moved here about 3 weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good places by the river to just sit and watch boats and the like go by. I'd prefer not to go down to the Landing, but I don't know if there are any riverfront parks.

Thanks in advance,

PAMF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 05:56 PM

870 posts, read 2,181,226 times
There is a very small park off of San Marco Blvd (sort of behind European Street restaurant). I think the cross street is Landon. That will take you to the park. It are a couple of wooden benches, but you can bring a foldable camp chair to sit in. People fish at this park.
Right across the street is a group of apartment buildings, so sometimes parking on the street is hard to find.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:35 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,506,488 times
Memorial Park on Riverside Ave, although it's a good bit away from the main channel. You could also stroll the Riverwalk, which is on the Southbank, across the River from the Landing. Lots of places to sit and stare, there.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:29 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,994,201 times
Not sure how far you want to drive if that's a factor, but we enjoy the Fort Caroline area, specificially Timucuan national preserve and the Fort Caroline memorial.

Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve & Fort Caroline National Memorial - Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve & Fort Caroline National Memorial (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 02-26-2009, 09:39 AM

8,957 posts, read 20,385,036 times
We were at the Landing three weeks ago, on a Saturday, and it was nice there. Unfortunately, due to the time of year, there just aren't many boats out on the river.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:48 PM

4 posts, read 6,884 times
Thanks for your replies folks.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagFan27 View Post
There is a very small park off of San Marco Blvd (sort of behind European Street restaurant). I think the cross street is Landon. That will take you to the park. It are a couple of wooden benches, but you can bring a foldable camp chair to sit in. People fish at this park.
Right across the street is a group of apartment buildings, so sometimes parking on the street is hard to find.
I think the park I am talking about is called Riverfront Park. Here is the description from coj.net:

"Riverfront Park is located on a fifteen-foot, one-block strip of land along the St. Johns River in San Marco, between Landon Avenue and La Verne Street. When San Marco was platted by the Avondale Company in 1925, the street adjacent to the park was known as Mareno Place, which was later named present-day River Road. The .1-acre park provides one bench and several trash barrels for the convenience of visitors. For decades the park’s bulkhead has been a favorite spot for local fishermen, and manatees have been seen surfacing near the shore. The river view and cooling breezes bring out the visitors with folding chairs. And on winter evenings, when the river sunsets are most beautiful, people congregate at the park to enjoy the view."

Old 02-27-2009, 01:23 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,165,014 times
I was just in Jacksonville last weekend, and stayed at the House on Cherry Street B&B in Riverside(which was absolutely wonderful, by the way). There is a tiny park open to the public right at the end of Cherry with a bench and a nice view. Otherwise, I'd also recommend Memorial Park.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I was just in Jacksonville last weekend, and stayed at the House on Cherry Street B&B in Riverside(which was absolutely wonderful, by the way). There is a tiny park open to the public right at the end of Cherry with a bench and a nice view. Otherwise, I'd also recommend Memorial Park.
How was that B & B? I have wanted to spend a weekend there.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:57 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,165,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagFan27 View Post
How was that B & B? I have wanted to spend a weekend there.
I'm not sure how much I can say without it being considered "advertising" but we enjoyed it very much. The innkeepers are very interesting people, and the house is great, but for me the location was what made it so wonderful. Right on the St. John's, and the garden is very peaceful. A very relaxing stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: