Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 01:11 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,121,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTNYFL View Post
Northside: Yes, it seems the school ratings are pretty good all around Jacksonville. It's always good to hear from various locations and people so I very much appreciate all the input, especially while FL is not completely foreign to me, it's a big move/change for me and my family.

Nep321: Yes, it's funny how what schools you're used to, sets a different standard. I once asked a friend who moved from Queens NY to Bristol CT how the public schools are in Bristol (when looking around different areas of CT to move.. ended up staying in same town). He said when you compare CT schools to Bronx, they're all good. But compared to other towns in CT, it's probably not as good. Funny, I'm from Suffield, so the schools are also like Granby, and top notch, and easy to navigate (enrollment, expectations, etc). I feel Jax being a bigger city, may be a little more cumbersome to figure out. Shout out to a fellow Northern nutmegger!

Sithlord: Sounds a little daunting, but I lived in NYC for 10+ years (without kids however), so I'm hoping I can do it. Still, bit different area. I'm sure I'll find a good school, and everyone's suggestions have been extremely helpful. My decision is based on a combination of everything, so every bit helps to get an idea. Final test will be visiting the area!
Paxon and Stanton College Prep are two examples of good public schools, but the ghetto locations turn most people off. In other words, these two schools are located in the hood so for you & your childrens' safety, you may not want to live anywhere close to these two schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 05:13 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,790,391 times
I am familiar with both. CT schools are more more challenging with a more advanced curriculum. FL curriculum is more shallow. For instance, there is likely more deeper learning in history, more writing in English, and more/harder problem solving in math, and more labs in Science.

That said, the curriculum in St. Johns county is straightforward and fair. A top student will be fine, and be on track to take many AP's in high school (and take gifted classes in elem/middle if the child qualifies). For the average student, I think the curriculum is mediocre.

I'd stick to St. Johns County if education is the main concern.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:28 AM

22 posts, read 15,210 times
Good to know BGCTFL. I wish we could afford private, but likely not an option at the moment. :/

Old 12-22-2017, 06:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,567 times
This whole school thing really comes down to the demographics of the areas. If you take a SJC school with all of the same teachers/staff/principal and put it in a bad area of Duval County, what do you think the scores would be?
SJC does not have inner cities and has pretty much one demographic = good scores.

Old 12-26-2017, 02:52 PM

22 posts, read 15,210 times
All good points all. I am leaning towards St. Johns County if possible, hoping we find a rental when the time comes. My daughter is already reading level 2 books and can conceptualize simple math. So we want her to be challenged and in an environment that is well structured without a lot of distractions. She is however, still a typical (soon to be) 5 year old, and loves imaginative play and I imagine Kindergarten will be a bit of a rude awakening. Her preK is structured but with lots of play and I think the "sitting all day" will take a little getting used to. The usual stuff every first Kindergartener probably goes through, but being a new girl, I am not sure which way she'll react... she can be shy, but she can also be very bossy. lol. It'll be interesting.

As a side: what are fees like for a realtor or go-between when looking for a rental? Do most people use a realtor? I want to be prepared what the costs might be. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville