Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 06:34 PM

30 posts, read 56,406 times

Advertisements

Hello!!
First post here.

I'm thinking about relocating to Tampa from Jacksonville.
I feel like I might be having this "grass is greener" syndrome... but I wanted to make sure to get opinions of others before I do the jump!

A little bit about myself....
I believe Jax is a good place if you have children/family, but as a geeky single I find it sort of hard to live in. I love book clubs, wine tasting, traveling... but I don't seem to find anyone interested in any of these here.. (I did do outdoor sports, and I can find people interested in that)

I'm also not really into Tattoos, military/navy or hipster culture. I will say I'm very much more of a suit and tie person...
It might be the size of the city, where it's really hard to meet people... So I am thinking about moving to Tampa.

Also, I don't like the whole hook up culture that seems to be very common here. I know it's everywhere, but I feel like it is quite accepted here. I'm from the mid-west, so a bit more old fashioned if you know what I mean.
Especially since I'm at the age for dating (27) I had a hard time finding someone I would even consider dating. Most single people (keyword "single") I found here were divorced with children by the time they were 30 or they didn't have a job.

Any information will be appreciated. I have a whole theory - but I know people might find it offensive whatever I say. Again, I do believe south Jax around St. Johns will be great for families! But since I don't have any now, I might be happier somewhere else.
Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 11:15 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,168,764 times
I pretty much agree with your entire assessment. Tampa could turn out to be better suited for you simply by virtue of being substantially larger in population.

If you end up staying, you might try to get involved with JCCI Forward or ImpactJax, both young professional groups where you can meet lots of other ambitious professionals and transplants. In a lot of ways I empathize with you, and if it weren't for the fact that 1) I grew up here so despite leaving for school for many years I've maintained a large network in Jax and 2) I travel a lot and am away over a third of the year, there's no way I'd still be here.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:49 AM

Default Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I pretty much agree with your entire assessment. Tampa could turn out to be better suited for you simply by virtue of being substantially larger in population.

If you end up staying, you might try to get involved with JCCI Forward or ImpactJax, both young professional groups where you can meet lots of other ambitious professionals and transplants. In a lot of ways I empathize with you, and if it weren't for the fact that 1) I grew up here so despite leaving for school for many years I've maintained a large network in Jax and 2) I travel a lot and am away over a third of the year, there's no way I'd still be here.
I will definitely check out those two sites... It will be nice to meet other professionals!
Well, you are the 3rd person I met living in Jax that said the same thing regarding not being here most of the time. I met some cool people here, but they were always gone on a the weekends to Fort Lauderdale or Miami, Tampa etc... The "doers" in Jax are never here.. and those are the type of people I get along with!

Old 10-28-2013, 03:53 PM

Anyone else here who can help? Is there anyone like me living in Jax who enjoys living in Jax or found a group of people who like doing things I mentioned earlier? (book club, outdoor sports, wine tasting in the same age range?)

Old 10-28-2013, 08:37 PM

705 posts, read 1,576,130 times
I think you're on the right track with the Tampa idea. It is a much bigger metro and (I believe) more progressive in nature as well. However, it's not without down sides. The traffic is much worse in general for one thing. That said, if I were young and single, I'd pick Tampa/St. Pete hands down over JAX. Good luck brother.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:20 AM

Smile Thank you so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by abvavgjoe View Post
I think you're on the right track with the Tampa idea. It is a much bigger metro and (I believe) more progressive in nature as well. However, it's not without down sides. The traffic is much worse in general for one thing. That said, if I were young and single, I'd pick Tampa/St. Pete hands down over JAX. Good luck brother.
Thanks for the reply, I was wondering why I wasn't getting any hits and I guess it's sort of obvious that I should go to Tampa? Progressive is something I am looking for.
But I will miss Jax - I will def like to come back (st. Johns county) here when I have children

Old 10-30-2013, 11:31 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,281,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landing on Galaxy View Post
Anyone else here who can help? Is there anyone like me living in Jax who enjoys living in Jax or found a group of people who like doing things I mentioned earlier? (book club, outdoor sports, wine tasting in the same age range?)
Move to the Riverside & Avondale historic district, Springfgield historic dsitrict, San Marco, Murray Hill, or Downtown itself and you'll find plenty of young professionals, a more progressive slant than the rest of the city, with a lot of intellectual, traveling, wine tasting types.

www.riverside-avondale.com
www.myspringfield.org and www.sparcouncil.org
www.smpsjax.com and www.mysanmarco.com
www.downtownjacksonville.org

Old 10-31-2013, 09:45 AM

196 posts, read 427,853 times
Several years ago, you could not have paid me money to live in JAX as a single person, however, I think that JAX has come a long way! I don't know what part of town you live in, but I second what FSU813 says above! Riverside is a great place for single folks that like to have a nice time and seems to have many people in your age range. Yes, there are some tatoo types around, however, many professional types as well. San Marco is great - lots of professionals, but maybe not as many singles. I work with a lot of 20's single people and they are always out and about in the Riverside/Avondale areas on the weekends. I don't know anything about Tampa - I am sure it is a great ciy, but I wouldn't write Jax off! I am impressed with the direction our city is heading!

Old 10-31-2013, 05:32 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,168,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acebab View Post
I am impressed with the direction our city is heading!
Yep!

Old 11-01-2013, 11:02 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,701,717 times
I live in Tampa. I've been to Jax. A lot. I think Tampa would be better suited for you, specifically South Tampa. You'll want to look into the SoHo area, Hyde Park, Palma Ceia and even Westshore. But SoHo (South Howard Ave.) is where all the bars are at and the night life is poppin'. These areas are also full of professionals, young professionals, and families.
You should come check out the area, you may like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville