Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2019, 04:04 PM

7 posts, read 7,335 times

Advertisements

Are there any newer communities that are similar to that Vista @ Twenty Mile in Nocatee that are in the Jacksonville/St Johns County area?
We really loved the Vista and are looking for similar large size homes with a Brick/stucco exterior?
Most communities in Nocatee seem to have small homes with fiber siding exterior which we do not prefer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 06:51 AM

10 posts, read 11,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entenercept View Post
Are there any newer communities that are similar to that Vista @ Twenty Mile in Nocatee that are in the Jacksonville/St Johns County area?
We really loved the Vista and are looking for similar large size homes with a Brick/stucco exterior?
Most communities in Nocatee seem to have small homes with fiber siding exterior which we do not prefer.
Stucco has fallen out of favor with customers and builders lately, so you may be hard pressed to find new homes with a stucco exterior. Brick may be another story, but that doesn't seem as popular in this area as it does up north, so fewer places offer it.

Old 12-11-2019, 12:01 AM

7 posts, read 7,335 times
Thank you ! I now understand

Old 12-11-2019, 03:38 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,249,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entenercept View Post
Stucco is a poor choice for Florida. It will crack and leak no matter how good it's installed, which is why most builders have gotten away from it.

There are simply so many Construction Defect lawsuits against the builders, mostly due to stucco failures, that they have run away from it forever.

Brick is an excellent choice, but you will have to select a custom or semi-custom builder to get that kind of option down here. If you need any recommendations, I can send you in the right direction.

SS

Old 12-29-2019, 10:20 PM

110 posts, read 146,666 times
It is not fiber siding - it is actually cement siding and will hold up way longer than stucco in our humidity. Also a brick home, while nice, requires maintenance and re-pinning over time due to our humidity and many homeowners do not even know this and they end up with moisture behind the bricks. I will take the cementous siding any day over stucco or brick here in FL. We had brick in Denver and loved it, but Denver was arid and maintenance free for brick! Not true here.....Cement siding is also easy to repair as it is literally one piece at a time, so if it cracked or had any issues, it doesn't look "patched" like stucco does because they can thread it in if repairs are made or windows are moved over time. The best part is that when it is painted correctly, the paint lasts a good 5-7 years, whereas stucco tends to fade and get blotchy.
Brick is my favorite, but hard to find here - I think it is a cost factor and labor factor here. builders are doing whatever is quick and easy and durable because the new construction demand is so crazy right now.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:00 AM

65 posts, read 98,329 times
Default Masonry questions

That's very important information. Thank you for sharing. My husband is a former stone mason (disabled now) and we have begun to look seriously again at Florida. This makes sense. Yes, brick is not maintenance free but in NJ/PA/MD area,it's a matter of power-washing as needed and repoint about 30-50 years depending on who the mason was. How does that differ in Florida? Is the pointing closer to 20 years? Thank you in advance.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:59 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,249,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax2PVB View Post
It is not fiber siding - it is actually cement siding and will hold up way longer than stucco in our humidity. Also a brick home, while nice, requires maintenance and re-pinning over time due to our humidity and many homeowners do not even know this and they end up with moisture behind the bricks. I will take the cementous siding any day over stucco or brick here in FL. We had brick in Denver and loved it, but Denver was arid and maintenance free for brick! Not true here.....Cement siding is also easy to repair as it is literally one piece at a time, so if it cracked or had any issues, it doesn't look "patched" like stucco does because they can thread it in if repairs are made or windows are moved over time. The best part is that when it is painted correctly, the paint lasts a good 5-7 years, whereas stucco tends to fade and get blotchy.
Brick is my favorite, but hard to find here - I think it is a cost factor and labor factor here. builders are doing whatever is quick and easy and durable because the new construction demand is so crazy right now.
Actually, it's "Fiber Cement" siding. A company I owned was the 1st Certified Nichiha Installer in the State of Florida, so I can say that with relative confidence.

The most common mistake made with the fiber cement siding these days is when they cut the boards to fit, the installers are not priming the cut ends before installing them, which voids the warranty. I agree it's superior to other exteriors in our climate, but there are still many installation errors being committed by virtually every builder.

SS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville