Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 09:37 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times

Advertisements

You brought up a great point, HIF - until everyone stops trying to get around the rules, we're not going to make much progress and the situation will become more dire . I don't doubt it one bit that what your irrigation guy said is true, that they all disable the rain gauges.

I don't have an irrigation system, I only water as needed using an old fashioned sprinkler. I wait until my lawn looks a little grey and the blades of grass fold up a bit. Waiting until this happens forces the roots to grow deeper in search of water and over time the grass will need less and less water as the roots grow stronger and deeper .

You can always start with a compromise. Carve out some deep, sweeping plant beds in the grass and fill them with native plants (xeriscape the beds). You could decide to decrease the grass by 25% the first year, and then maybe increase it to 50% over time...making the planting beds bigger each year.

There is a small, easy to read book that I highly recommend as a primer to native plants and xeriscaping:

Natural Florida Landscaping
by Dan Walton & Laurel Schiller
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 10:07 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
I live a little South of Jacksonville in Volusia county. My homeowners association says we have to have St. Augustine grass which is a pain to keep up and takes alot of water.

I have let my entire front lawn die and plan on making the whole front yard a planting bed with plants that will take less care. I want to put in some palms and ground cover. I'm just not going to struggle with the grass anymore.

I think its time that cities start passing ordinances against encouraging grass that takes so much upkeep.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:35 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,025,755 times
HIF - a lot of folks are using pine straw for mulch. Just be aware that it's pretty acidic, but if you plant some hydrangeas they'll turn a nice blue. Karla w a K, chime in here, as I'm not the astute gardener, just going off of memory of a previous home.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:55 PM

530 posts, read 1,461,000 times
Well what about businesses that there sprinkerls seem to be always on,even after down pours and even while its raining.They waste more water than everybody.I ask one lady why were there sprinklers on while it was raining she said theres nothing we can do they are on a timer.I turn my system off when rain is expected and dont rely on my rain gauge.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:18 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,736,488 times
Our place uses reclaimed water. I don't know how water restrictions are factored into that method of watering.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:36 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-n-Jax View Post
Well what about businesses that there sprinkerls seem to be always on,even after down pours and even while its raining.They waste more water than everybody.I ask one lady why were there sprinklers on while it was raining she said theres nothing we can do they are on a timer.I turn my system off when rain is expected and dont rely on my rain gauge.
Report them to JEA! That water is going straight down the street drain which goes straight to the river...a complete waste of our water!

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Our place uses reclaimed water. I don't know how water restrictions are factored into that method of watering.
I think the reclaimed has its' own meter.

I don't think you're with JEA , but JEA has an info page on reclaimed water:

JEA - Reclaimed Water

Old 04-17-2008, 04:01 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
HIF - a lot of folks are using pine straw for mulch. Just be aware that it's pretty acidic, but if you plant some hydrangeas they'll turn a nice blue. Karla w a K, chime in here, as I'm not the astute gardener, just going off of memory of a previous home.
Pine straw is very popular as mulch, it will also give you the natural look.
We have used it in the school butterfly garden.
It does not seem to last as long as pine bark mulch

Old 04-18-2008, 10:52 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
Karla-

Thank you for meeting me and my mom at Skinner's yesterday for our Florida Friendly Foliage Foray!

Old 06-17-2009, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I live a little South of Jacksonville in Volusia county. My homeowners association says we have to have St. Augustine grass which is a pain to keep up and takes alot of water...

I think its time that cities start passing ordinances against encouraging grass that takes so much upkeep.
First off, I think it's funny that here in the South we grow what in the north is considered a family of crab-grass.

Secondly, have any of you thought about rain water collecting or a cistern/well to run your sprinklers from? I know here in the Arlington area of Jax, I hit water about two feet below ground while digging holes for my fence posts. That will be one of my projects soon. I was also thinking of supplementing it with a rain catching system that I could water the plant around the house with.

About the pine straw, I have a good friend that purchased rubber pine straw that will not need to be replaced every year. It is made from recycled tires, so still a green product!

Old 06-17-2009, 07:57 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
this is a old thread

but to answer your questions you can do rain barrel collection
Many folks do have wells for their irrigation systems these however are under the current watering restrictions

Those mulches that are made from recycled tires you need to be careful if you have dogs because should they eat it it isn't good for them
Also the rubber can retain too much heat and "cook " your plant roots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville