Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2008, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 5,041 times

Advertisements

I am a 30yo single lesbian considering moving to Jacksonville from Philly. I just came back from visiting my mom and godmother who live in Riverside. Now, of course after arriving home yesterday, I've been seriously thinking about relocating. I've read a LOT of the other post concerning the lack of nightlife, life in JAX and rent prices but maybe, just maybe SOMEONE can answer these two questions.

1) How is the gay and lesbian nightlife/bar/clubs? Are there any at all? I'm not looking for something like San Francisco, NYC or even Philly (unless your a gay man here there is only 1 decent lesbian bar).

2) What other cities in FL besides Jax should I consider? I loved the beach but for some reason I get the feeling that after the sun goes down there isn't much too offer.

Thanks for any help and advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 10:52 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,023,985 times
There's actually quite a large community in Jacksonville. If you do a google search you will find a lot of information. I think Florida in general is very tolerant, so you should be looking at the job market for your field first, but if you have relatives in Jax, then that would certainly be a plus.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:23 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,450,461 times
....and the Riverside area would be a good location to consider, it is considered one of the gay friendly areas.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:20 AM

702 posts, read 2,184,949 times
Agreatlife and Riveree are right, there is a large community around here.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 5,041 times
thanks all for your help!

Old 05-03-2008, 11:16 PM

There was another thread already with this info, but I will post the link here as well. Top Stories - Jacksonville Named One of Top Five Cities for Same-Sex Couples

This just came out yesterday, it might give you an idea of what to expect.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:57 AM

472 posts, read 1,544,169 times
As a person living in Jax, I think it is an awesome, emerging city. As a gay person living here, I still think the same, but realize that it is not a good permanent home. Please do not take this the wrong way anyone, but the class of people that you associate yourself with kind of determines the experience you will have. By that, I mean, I am around young, college-educated, religiously-neutral people most of the time. Most of my friends are from either the North East or the West Coast originally, so they are very accepting of me and my partner (not that my relationship should be any of their concern, but you know ). So, as far as gay friendliness, I give Jax a 7 out of 10. You basically are not entitled to equal rights in Florida, so I would not say this is the best place to live for the rest of your life unless there is a big change in federal government. Because I am reaching the age where I need financial success, more than marital benefits, I will tolerate Florida. In the distant future, when I have 2.5 kids and a boston terrier, I may have to become a snow bird like the rest of my older friends. My experience here overall has been great though. I always speak highly of Jax, but I like to balance that with reality also.

I will warn you ahead of time that there are a lot of religious people in Jax, but do not let that intimidate you. Regardless of someone's religion, they can chose to respect your personal life, and treat you with the respect that all humans deserve... or they can do the opposite. I am sure someone will post about how religious it is here, and how that can be a turn-off, but I beg to differ. The majority of the people I associate and work with are Southern Baptists and we have no problems what so ever. I am invited to all the cook outs, Christmas dinners, and even church on occasion. Southern Baptists are some of the most warm people I have come to know in Jax. I would say that most realize that their approval of my relationship is neither here nor there in our friendship. Just as I would NEVER tell them that they should not be with their wife, they would never tell me I should not be with the person I love. Sorry for the rant, but since I am an Atheist, I think it is fair for me to step up for my Christian brothers and sisters. They get the raw end of the stick from the gays a lot of the time. That's not right.

Here is the perfect term to describe my Christian brothers & sister that I interact with: cognitive dissonance. GOOGLE IT

Last edited by gradco2004; 05-04-2008 at 12:10 PM..

Old 05-05-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradco2004 View Post
Here is the perfect term to describe my Christian brothers & sister that I interact with: cognitive dissonance. GOOGLE IT
YES. Open your eyes, people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville