Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 01:10 PM

66 posts, read 469,396 times

Advertisements

i was wondering how cold it gets in the winters in jax? how hot in the summer? i guess you cant really go to the beach in the winter like you could in miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 01:31 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSchaff View Post
i was wondering how cold it gets in the winters in jax? how hot in the summer? i guess you cant really go to the beach in the winter like you could in miami
day time in winter is usually 50's-low 60's nights are in the 40's and sometimes into the 30's and away from the beaches you can even get a freeze, I haven't spent a summer here yet but I am expecting hot and humid, not as bad as S Fla but from what hear it can be miserable.
summers are hot regardless of where you are, the thing in fla is that it lasts longer than most other places.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:06 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
day time in winter is usually 50's-low 60's nights are in the 40's and sometimes into the 30's and away from the beaches you can even get a freeze, I haven't spent a summer here yet but I am expecting hot and humid, not as bad as S Fla but from what hear it can be miserable.
summers are hot regardless of where you are, the thing in fla is that it lasts longer than most other places.
The summers are the same as they are in SoFl and any other part of FL based on my experiences. It's pretty hot in all sections of Florida during the summer and this time of year. Jacksonville has colder winters but it literally is only like 2 weeks worth of what one would call winter like weather. It can get down to 19 or 20. Hell, it snowed in Phoenix and Tucson last year.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:20 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,313 times
Quote:
Don't worry about it bro, some people down there where shorts in what you would call the winter time. You're from Penn so you should be able to handle it. I lived in SoFl for two years and while you can "go" to the beach in the winter, the water temp is another question and so in Jan and Feb you won't find many people in the water unless they're surfers.

It gets hot in Jax starting in Mar and lasting thru the middle of Dec where it goes from hot to warm. Right now the temp is 75 but the humidity is at 65% with a high dew point. That means stuffy hot air. The humidity gets higher starting around 3pm and will stay high thru the evening hours. Contrast that to the 75 degrees here in NC but the humidity right now is at 25% with a low dew point. 75 here in NC feels much better than 75 in FLA. Expect high humidity from Mar thru Oct. In Nov and Dec the humidity subsides.

In early Jan, it'll get up to about 72 with a low of about 50. Mid to late Jan thru the 2nd week in Feb, it goes from 72 as a high to about 66 as average high and 42 as about an average low. Obviously there will be some deviations either high or low but for the most part you can count on those averages. Remember you will get two weeks of cold weather were it can go as low as 18 degrees and the highs will be in the upper 30s. You'll get about 2 days of that and the 12 really cold days will be something along the lines of lows in the lower 30s and highs in the upper 40s low 50s. That's your two weeks of cold weather. That'll hit you either the last week of Jan and the first week of Feb or the first and second weeks of Feb. Then it's over.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:25 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
The winters can be vastly different from year to year.

If you have a winter jacket or coat, you can make use of it here. You can also just pile on layers and do fine. I get through much of the winter with a good polar fleece zip sweatshirt, but I still have a ski jacket for when it gets really cold. Gloves are nice, but not a dire necessity (pockets !).

Most years, it's still nice enough to go to the beach in September. Right around the holidays - before Thanksgiving - is when the weather seems to get squirrelly. One week will be cold enough for layers, then you'll be back in a t-shirt and shorts the next...it kind of continues like this until we run out of "warm weeks" and then it's just cold.

Summer is summer.....at the peak of it, you'll want to be in the AC as much as possible.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:30 PM

265 posts, read 994,357 times
Winter, ahh I see what is called winter in Jacksonville is called perfect in my eyes. Winter in my perfect world = long sleeve t-shirts during the day and sweatshirt of sweater at night. Now my friends that is the good life.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:34 PM

66 posts, read 469,396 times
ever get any snow? or any that accumulates?

Old 05-14-2007, 08:10 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Talking 1990.....The Big Snow!

Quote:
ever get any snow? or any that accumulates?
According to a local here longer than I, there was snow in 1990...and "a lot of it" - whatever that means .

Old 05-15-2007, 03:04 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
they had a "ice issue" in 89 that shut down the bridges
lol riveree I am not sure if you have seen it when we hit freezing and folks leave their sprinklers on and you have bush-ice sculptures.
I love the folks that say "the frost was 2" thick on my widnshield" when we get the few frosty mornings

karla

Old 05-15-2007, 05:46 AM

495 posts, read 2,329,471 times
Winters vary in their severity in Jax. The last few have been mild temp wise. I live near the river south of town and I have not seen a freeze here for several years.

Sometimes you can get a Northeaster when a cold front comes in from the NE and it is cold and raw in the day time. Doesnt drop below freezing at nite but never gets out of the 50s in the day and it is cloudy, rainy and windy.

In the summer a NE wind is nice, breezy trade winds, humid but cooler than normal. For instance, we normally should be in the 90s consistently by now but due to a almost constant NE flow this May, it has stayed in the low to mid 80s.

By contrast, a wind out of the West is the hottest condition in the summer and the NW wind is the coldest wind in the winter.

A west wind, SW or NW in the summer is allways the hottest conditions. Unless thunderstorms break the heat it almost allways will be in the mid 90s in the summer with a west wind.

Almost all of your cold fronts from the NW have the coldest temp. Usually it rains as the front passes through and the temp drops and it gets windy. The coldest mornings are usually a day or two after later when you get a freeze in the morn for a day or two and then it warms up for several days till the next front.

On cold days a frosty morn is usually followed by a glorious, sunny, low humidity afternoon. Often it will be 28 or so in the morning with afternoon highs in the 60s. Colder days do happen but they are rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: