Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 09:16 AM

924 posts, read 2,605,048 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Southern Maryland about 1.5 hours south of DC. I like the blend of rural and urban here but I can't justify the cost of renting out here just to be 1.5 hours away from DC. I don't even really like the city that much. My tiny 1 bedroom apartment costs $1100/month + utilities. I want to try out at least one other area to live while I am still young. I am a software developer and my Company has an office in Orange Park. Are there nice rentals in Orange Park? Another concern for me is car laws. Around where I live cops are pretty lenient on things like loud exhaust and stuff like that. How are they in Jacksonville? Could you guys help me out?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 09:38 AM

754 posts, read 2,816,636 times
The best rental in OP is probably Lighthouse at Fleming Island and Cobblestone at Eagle Harbor. There may be some rental townhomes at Enclave at Eagle Harbor.

I'm not sure what "loud exhaust" is, but I don't think cops have a problem with people obeying the law. They're funny that way.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:59 AM

97 posts, read 404,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
I currently live in Southern Maryland about 1.5 hours south of DC. I like the blend of rural and urban here but I can't justify the cost of renting out here just to be 1.5 hours away from DC. I don't even really like the city that much. My tiny 1 bedroom apartment costs $1100/month + utilities. I want to try out at least one other area to live while I am still young. I am a software developer and my Company has an office in Orange Park. Are there nice rentals in Orange Park? Another concern for me is car laws. Around where I live cops are pretty lenient on things like loud exhaust and stuff like that. How are they in Jacksonville? Could you guys help me out?

Thanks in advance
Are you referencing a Flow Master or Magna Flow Systems or starting at the intake and complete aftermarket exhaust system? Any other mods? My sons' currently in an Altima with only mod being the Xenon/HIDs (which are NOT popular in his neighborhood) and $2K stereo system. Of course..he's been "begging" for an SRT4....perhaps after he graduates!

Old 01-08-2009, 10:26 AM

560 posts, read 2,077,590 times
Tercel95,

I would not consider OP to be one of the best areas of the region, although OP proper is nicer than the nearby Blanding Blvd area (worst traffic congestion in the metro).

However, if you drive a souped up '95 tercel with illegally loud exhaust, and you prefer suburban life (i.e. "blend of urban and rural" like you said) then you'll probably fit in OP just fine. That's kind of the vibe they have going on in Clay county anyway - although maybe leaning more towards modified pickup trucks.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:47 AM

Unfortunately I don't have the Tercel anymore. My exhaust is legal here in MD, I don't know if it would be legal or not in Florida. Perhaps I phrased it wrong, I am not some punk kid that goes around blasting his stereo in suburban neighborhoods or flooring it going past peoples houses. I am simply a car enthusiast. In some areas (California) people who drive modified cars get profiled and pulled over all the time. I just don't want to live in an area where I get hassled all of the time. I have a completely clean driving record. Do you guys have emissions testing? I don't in the county I live in but most other counties in MD do.

For the record I am just trying to move to an area I think I would like. The thing that is most important to me is the balance of rural and urban. I like having shopping centers and other amenities in close proximity but I don't want to live in a "city". Traffic and theft are a concern to me but as I said before my company has an office in Orange Park so I am hoping to not have much of a commute. My commute right now is about 2 miles.

Thanks for the reccomendations on rentals btw I will have to check them out.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:53 AM

560 posts, read 2,077,590 times
No emissions testing anymore (at least I haven't had to do it in a looooong time).

Again, Clay county probably has the vibe you are looking for. Very much "rural with tons of strip malls" and I've certainly seen tons and tons of souped up pickups. It's not the prettiest side of town though.

Also, Clay has awful traffic in general and few places in Jax can truly be defined as "in the city" so you might want to expand your search too.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:12 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,992,621 times
Although I'm sure profiling does exist, I don't see it in Clay County or at least it's not obvious. Most vehicles I see pulled over are minivans with women drivers and I presume it's because of speeding.

As for a short commute if you lived in Orange Park, it all depends where your company's office is in Orange Park. If it's near I-295 on Blanding or Wells Rd or Hwy 17, that's the most congested part of OP. If the office is not near I-295, well, then, that's a whole different scenario.

Depending on the office location, you could even live on the other side of the river - in that case your commute to OP would be the opposite of the commuter congestion and would be a breeze.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:20 AM

Location: Teams in 2 locations: Jacksonville, FL & Aldie/Chantilly VA.
63 posts, read 224,377 times
Hi,
If you gave us your office's address, we could recommend some areas, especially if you wanted to stay within a couple of miles. Orange park is a large area. Out west, in Argyle is some great homes, condos and apts. You could easily get a 1,600 sqft home for less $1,200 mo. Condo's are even a better deal for renting. Since there are so many homes on the market to sell, many sellers are trying to rent their homes at reasonable prices. In fact, some of the best buys for homes are in the Orange park, west side, and Argyle areas. The traffic is bad for those people living in Orange Park commuting east over the Buckman bridge to get to the southside for work in the morning, but if you are working in Orange park, the other post is correct, you could easily live on the Mandarin Side, and your communte west over the buckman bridge will be against traffic in the morning.
Weather here is Perfect! 72 yesterday!!
MKGolfer

Old 01-09-2009, 07:23 AM

1542 Kingsley Avenue, Suite 142AB
Orange Park, FL 32073

That is the address of my office in Orange Park. It is really starting to seem like this is the place for me. I just can't believe how cheap it is to live out there. A 1600 square ft house around here would be like 3000 a month and were still 1.5 hours from the city... I am so jealous of the weather. I would love to be out working on my car right now. Thanks for the info

Old 01-09-2009, 08:08 AM

702 posts, read 2,186,422 times
You will be a in good area of O.P, you also have the option for some higher scale living not too far from where your office would be if you would not mind about 5-10 extra minutes on your commute. The area you will be in around your office is nice, working class, family oriented area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville