Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2009, 02:13 PM

4 posts, read 14,941 times

Advertisements

Hi. We are thinking of moving to Ponte Vedra/Ponte Vedra Beach. I have researched the area for awhile now. My main concern are the kids and parents. We have a 6 year old girl and schools and peers are my main concern. I've gotten to idea that the kids here have a sense of entitlement and somewhat do what they please, drugs, drinking, etc., and the parents seem to go along with it. Somewhat like an East Coast "Laguna Beach." Could anyone give me a good description of the people in this area? It would be much appreciated.
Also, we would be looking to buy a home in the 500,000 range. Where would that put us in the cast system. Are the people there over-the-top wealthy? Thank you all for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 06:27 PM

725 posts, read 2,571,745 times
Ponte Vedra is a nice area. The people are just like everyone else. Its a family type area.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:38 AM

560 posts, read 2,077,145 times
Yeah, Ponte Vedra is one of the wealthiest and safest neighborhoods in the region.

In my opinion, vetting your kids friends (and making sure they have responsible parents) is necessary wherever you go. There are bad apples everywhere, probably even in Ponte Vedra. But, in my experience, the wealthy kids in Jax did NOT have a higher propensity for drinking and drug use at all. The very fact that you are concerned about your kid's friends pretty much guarantees you can keep them away from trouble in a place like PV.

There's no "caste" system. That's totally absurd in the context of Jacksonville of all places. The only area where I can even think of perceived social class being relevant is in Ortega and Avondale where most of the "old money" lives. However, this is Jax, and there's not enough old money to matter.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:20 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,247,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julnap View Post
Hi. We are thinking of moving to Ponte Vedra/Ponte Vedra Beach. I have researched the area for awhile now. My main concern are the kids and parents. We have a 6 year old girl and schools and peers are my main concern. I've gotten to idea that the kids here have a sense of entitlement and somewhat do what they please, drugs, drinking, etc., and the parents seem to go along with it. Somewhat like an East Coast "Laguna Beach." Could anyone give me a good description of the people in this area? It would be much appreciated.
Also, we would be looking to buy a home in the 500,000 range. Where would that put us in the cast system. Are the people there over-the-top wealthy? Thank you all for your help!
I have good friends in Ponte Vedra, now if they could just learn how to drive their Mercedes a little better.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville