Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:01 AM

353 posts, read 1,149,689 times

Advertisements

Looking at different builders in and around Jax. Wife and I have narrowed it down to 2 builders. Anyone own a home built by either builder and have an opinion?

Thanks RR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 10:35 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,737,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1v3rRat View Post
Looking at different builders in and around Jax. Wife and I have narrowed it down to 2 builders. Anyone own a home built by either builder and have an opinion?

Thanks RR
I had a good experience with Cornerstone. As a builder they have a decent reputation. I was fortunate to have a meticulous superintendent. That is always going to be the key.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:36 PM

No one else?

Old 11-20-2007, 06:38 PM

20 posts, read 98,697 times
Default Providence!

My sister purchased in Heritage Landing through Providence. She had a TON of problems, and swore she would never deal with them again. Her 1 year warranty work took 2 years to complete and was sloppy. The only reason they covered her problems was because she hired a property inspector to go through her house before the warranty was up.

She has cracks in her foundation, her roof had a bulge in it, the air conditioner broke within 6 months and they didn't put a header over several of her doorways - she found this out after she had a problem with a sagging door and moulding that was falling off.

I'd look at Cornerstone if I had the choice between the 2.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:54 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,992,621 times
I would love to comment, but I don't have enough knowledge/experience with those two builders. Mine is a Sid Higginbotham.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Mine is a Sid Higginbotham.
Well...if I could afford one of Sids homes..... I'd be all set.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:42 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,992,621 times
Oh -- did I just learn something about Sid homes? I'm such a newbie here that I wasn't intending to imply anything. When we bought, we purchased the house that fit our needs and didn't know much about the original builder. I'd surmise, then, that it's not a pig in a poke. That's reassuring I guess :-)

Old 11-21-2007, 01:30 PM

Yes, they do build a great home.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:40 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,344,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1v3rRat View Post

Thanks RR
I've heard good things about Cornerstone. What everyone has to remember is that most all of the builders share subcontractors, so the true testament to the builder is their customer service, and not necessarily the product. The more expensive a product does not necessarily mean less problems. I would have to say that Providence has pretty bad rep in terms of warranty, issues that they don't take responsbility for, etc. We lived in one for a while, and there were some major issues...however, nothing that couldn't be easily fixed. Most "large" builders will have issues. Everyone has to remember that builders throw homes up in 8 months or less (unless you go custom), so it's naive to think there won't be problems. I would truly inquire about a builder's warranty, and not necessarily other things. Framers who build for one builder, also have crews who build for their competition...no exclusivity normally. Thus, the warranty, and what they are willing to repair is the biggest thing to research. Our issue was with cracking/peeling stucco. Yes, stucco will always crack, but this was insane. Basically, we were told by Providence that it was homeowner maintenance. That would have been fine if we had lived in the home longer than 6 months...but I don't think maintenance on the actual home exterior material should start to be required at 6 months!!!!!!!!!! I was told by our inspector that it's b/c the homes go up so fast, the builders do not allow enough cure time for the layers of stucco. So, needless to say, they didn't build a bad house, but the rude warranty person made them a poor choice for any home of ours in the future. Other builders would have informed you of the maintenance that will be required, but might do something to help with that problem. Our cracks had to be wider than the width of the side of a quarter for them to do anything for us. Just check out the warranty and customer service of the builder is my advice.! Good luck!

Old 12-05-2007, 11:56 AM

16 posts, read 62,779 times
I agree. It is always the people that make the difference. You can go into 2 McDonalds and have different experiences. 1 store the people are polite, it's clean, and the food is hot. Go into a different store and have a total different experience. Both stores have the same corporate required criteria, food is manufactured in the same place however you have different experience.
While many of the same sub-contractors are used different builders, if the builder treats the sub-contractor better, than the sub-contractor is more focused on doing a better job for them because they want to continue to do business with them.
The Best Advise I Can Give You: Walk the community and ask the home owners. Don't get a list from the sales agent because they are only going to give you the good list. i.e. if you were the person living in the community and some one knocked on your door, I bet no matter how busy you were, you you tell that person who knocked on your door if you were or were not happy with your builder. Everyone goes thru the uncertainty of which builder to select and they understand what you are going thru. If someone is not happy, they are always happy to share or warn others.
Other than taking a few minutes of personal research, I would recommend CornerStone Homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville