Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 10:23 AM

64 posts, read 225,900 times

Advertisements

As I'm researching my move down south for much relief from the cold climate up in NJ during the winters, I can't help worry about a Hurricane threat and want to move someplace that isn't in a danger zone. That's why I was considering north Florida over south Florida. But I'm still not really familiar and the internet searches are only turning up bits and pieces of information. I'd love to hear from people who really know...Is the Jacksonville area in a danger zone as far as Hurricanes go? Of course, these days with Global Warming and natural disasters there is no guarantee, but better safe than sorry, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 10:32 AM

859 posts, read 3,620,382 times
This was talked about in some older threads (use search function), but something about Jacksonville's location makes it less prone to direct hurricane hits. Happened only once or twice? And you're usually ok if you choose to live more in-land. We had a couple rare tornandoes and water sprouts though.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:40 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,286,326 times
Jax lays on a slight indentation on the coast line, which provides a buffer.

No direct hit of a Hurricane since Rita.....waaaaaay back. In the 50's I think.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:09 AM

tornados and water sprouts? eesh. what's a water sprout?

Old 01-19-2010, 12:01 PM

754 posts, read 2,817,701 times
Water spout, not "sprout". It's simply a tornado that goes over water (ocean, river, etc.), and they're not usually as strong as their landlubbing counterparts.

As for hurricanes: We've had three tropical storms/hurricanes in about the last four decades. We had two back in 2004, and we had one last year (or was it 2008? Still hard for me to grasp that this is 2010!), and that's been it. Damage was minimal.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:22 PM

That doesn't sound too bad. Thank you very much for your input. Greatly appreciated!!!

Old 01-19-2010, 01:29 PM

44 posts, read 113,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Jax lays on a slight indentation on the coast line, which provides a buffer.

No direct hit of a Hurricane since Rita.....waaaaaay back. In the 50's I think.
Dora. 1964.

The shape of the coastline doesn't have as much to do with Jacksonville's "Hurricane Luck" as upper level wind patterns do. During the mid to late summer (and into fall), high pressure tends to form over the southeast US, extending down into North Florida. These systems steer tropical cyclones (generally speaking) westerly, into the Gulf of Mexico (frequently through south Florida), and or east, out into the Atlantic (your garden variety Outer Banks, NC storm).
If you count all Tropical Cyclones (Depressions and Tropical Storms, in addition to bona-fide Hurricanes), Jacksonville averages one hit approximately every 3.05 years.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:40 PM

859 posts, read 3,620,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninclay View Post
Water spout, not "sprout". It's simply a tornado that goes over water (ocean, river, etc.), and they're not usually as strong as their landlubbing counterparts.
Sprout spout tomato tomatoe I was hungry!

Old 01-19-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondoe297 View Post
Dora. 1964.

The shape of the coastline doesn't have as much to do with Jacksonville's "Hurricane Luck" as upper level wind patterns do. During the mid to late summer (and into fall), high pressure tends to form over the southeast US, extending down into North Florida. These systems steer tropical cyclones (generally speaking) westerly, into the Gulf of Mexico (frequently through south Florida), and or east, out into the Atlantic (your garden variety Outer Banks, NC storm).
If you count all Tropical Cyclones (Depressions and Tropical Storms, in addition to bona-fide Hurricanes), Jacksonville averages one hit approximately every 3.05 years.
This is very informative. How severe have the hits been? When I think Hurricanes now, I think of Katrina. Is this something to be concerned about?

Old 01-19-2010, 03:22 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,509,286 times
Here's the evacuation zone map offered by the City, which may give you some indication of the potential impact of different category storms: Evacuation Zones Map
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville