Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 04:38 AM

6 posts, read 14,405 times

Advertisements

Any Negatives to Living in St. Augustine?

Job is not an issue, and looking for a SFH in a nice area (low crime) hopefully near some spots/things to do for a single 50 y.o. guy, no kids so school is not an issue.

Thank you in advance,

-Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2022, 06:50 AM

253 posts, read 190,433 times
I see you've made posts on moving to the panhandle, Nashville and now St. Aug. No one is going to take you seriously. This isn't the best place to look for a hook up (you seem fixated on your marital status).

The grass is not always greener.

Old 11-28-2022, 05:10 PM

661 posts, read 866,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpi17 View Post
Any Negatives to Living in St. Augustine?

Job is not an issue, and looking for a SFH in a nice area (low crime) hopefully near some spots/things to do for a single 50 y.o. guy, no kids so school is not an issue.

Thank you in advance,

-Dave
it's too crowded. that's the main negative.

Old 11-28-2022, 06:35 PM

104 posts, read 122,444 times
St Augustine is not just for families, there are some 55+ communities and areas with many empty nesters. It's a tourist meca so there are many activities and opportunities.

Old 11-29-2022, 03:58 AM

6 posts, read 14,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912904 View Post
I see you've made posts on moving to the panhandle, Nashville and now St. Aug. No one is going to take you seriously. This isn't the best place to look for a hook up (you seem fixated on your marital status). The grass is not always greener.

"No one is going to take me seriously."

Well so far, almost all but yours have been helpful. And not looking to get married on this forum--so not sure where you got that from. So, if you have a better forum to find places to live, please direct me?

It is difficult when you can literally choose to live anywhere, and have lived in so many places you don't want to live in anymore (Keys, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Georgia, NY, NJ, VA, etc.). I watch YouTube videos, review articles, look at areas for singles on Match (St. Agustine has the largest selection of recent singles 35-50 yoa so far), and am trying to drive out again in search this weekend.

And after living for my job for 30 years, I'm now looking to settle down and still have to be particular.

Old 12-02-2022, 08:26 AM

122 posts, read 260,435 times
Depends on where you live. We are in the highest spot on the island in a gated neighborhood 1.5 miles from the beach and love it! We have been here for 15 years with no issues.

Steer clear of Davis shores, anywhere north of the amphitheater and anywhere south of Butler Beach and you will be fine. Downtown floods every time there is any heavy rain or the gods sneeze and has done for years. Like anywhere else, Location, Location, Location, you get what you pay for. We are not going anywhere.

We are 5 mins from all the shopping one wants, 5 mins from some of the best doctors and healthcare in the extended area. Not crowded at all where we are. We would not want to live on the mainland though.

Old 12-08-2022, 07:15 AM

9,381 posts, read 8,345,252 times
The weather is too perfect from October through December. I hate these high temps in the mid 70s.

Old 12-09-2022, 04:17 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Anywhere near the coast has potential flooding issues. To me: too touristy

Old 07-19-2023, 12:59 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalbee View Post
Steer clear of Davis shores, anywhere north of the amphitheater and anywhere south of Butler Beach and you will be fine...We would not want to live on the mainland though.
Bumping this thread up.

In the OP's defense, I'm the same position: aging, retired, no family and nothing to keep me where I am and considering multiple areas for relocation. It's not easy to pick one when you can live anywhere. Most retirees live near family by default, so it's a no-brainer for them. Looking at alternatives doesn't mean we're "not serious."

Why not south of Butler? I've been looking at Crescent Beach, although the lack of public transportation there is a potential negative.

Also, what is considered "the mainland"; anywhere other than on Anastasia?

There don't seem to be many/any 55+ communities and really doesn't seem to be much in the way of nice condos near the beach in general.

Old 07-20-2023, 04:56 AM

122 posts, read 260,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Why not south of Butler? I've been looking at Crescent Beach, although the lack of public transportation there is a potential negative.

Also, what is considered "the mainland"; anywhere other than on Anastasia?

There don't seem to be many/any 55+ communities and really doesn't seem to be much in the way of nice condos near the beach in general.
South of Butler is a longer way to services, etc. Most service with the exception of a couple of grocery stores are over the bridge to "The Mainland". And as you say limited "convenient" public transportation if any. Although, I think you would be very restricted in any part of St. Johns without a car, or a good friend with one.

As far as the mainland is concerned it is anything west of the ditch.

Most 55+ re north of Palencia. It is funny that some are still called St. Augustine, seems like the St. Augustine names has been expanded to a large part of St. Johns County. Not sure why as a lot are closer to Jacksonville or Clay County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville