Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 05:04 PM
TOC TOC started this thread

36 posts, read 115,569 times

Advertisements

I know this will be no easy task, but I'm even willing to take a pay cut to live in the Jax/PV/St. Aug. area. I absolutely am so sick and tired of NJ and really want to escape this area. I've already applied to 40 jobs in the Jax area and unfortunately most employers are looking for someone who already lives in Jax....so that is where I'm stuck; trying to get someone to take me seriously about my relocation.

I've tried looking for recruiters but can't seem to find any (or any that I trust, really). I have a college education, been in the professional workplace for over 5 years, and am even willing to change careers and take a lower salary.

In your opinions, is it possible to find a job that starts near $40,000 in the Jax area (business related fields)? And everyone here that relocated to Jax from other areas of the country, how did you do it? I'm having such a hard time and really just want to make the move already...I mean, I knew it was going to be hard, but it almost seems near impossible.

Thanks for any help you guys might be able to give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 07:51 AM

2 posts, read 4,623 times
It's possible to land a decent position out of state. Be a little creative in your search. Try this, change your cell no to a local Jax # (904 area code). Any cell carrier will do this for you or get a second cell with a 904 #. Update your resume/CV to show a local Jax address. If you know someone who lives in Jax, use their home/apartment address. Send your resume to employers and position yourself as a Jax resident. You may need to book a few flights quickly for interviews, etc but not a big deal considering it will put you closer to reaching your goal. Post your resume online with the new address/phone # on your resume/profile (Monster, hotjobs, etc) and specify Jax as your desired work location. I do this to get onto consulting projects in NJ then back to Jax and other cities/states. You can easily give the appearance of being a local resident of a city/state if you think a bit creatively and this has worked well for me. Good luck and PM me if you need more info/help.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:07 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
Good idea, nivla. And you can get a google number for free and direct it to your cell phone.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:17 AM

76 posts, read 189,835 times
When I moved to Jacksonville 2 years ago, I had the same experience. Sent out a bunch or resumes, with no response at all. Came up to Jacksonville, got a mailbox and a local phone #, and sent out more resumes with that info instead. I had three interviews with job offers within 2 weeks. Moved the next week.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:57 AM

18 posts, read 60,304 times
TOC,
Think, plan and rethink VERY hard before relocating.
Only you know what your particular situation is and why you want to move, just make sure that you've considered all aspects of moving.

I myself moved down here just this past September from South Jersey. I too was sick and tired of Jersey beyond belief, and had been planning an "escape" for years. Initially I wanted to go to ATL but I dragged my feet for over two years and when I was finally ready to jump ship, the bottom fell out of the housing market, and truth be told, all the negative "don't move here" talk from so many on the ATL forum scared me...what if I can't find a job scenarios running in my head...so I went with Florida as my next best option as an affordable place to live, targeted North Florida due to pretty good school district ratings on greatschools.com and started my search in St John's and Clay counties.

The pay cut I knew I'd have to take was a lot more than I had bargained for, so much so that the "less expensive" housing I thought I'd be able to buy isn't ringing true. I'm still house hunting 7 months into our move. While really cheap housing does exist, it's in areas I wouldn't want to live in. The "cheaper property tax" well, yes, damn near every state has cheaper property taxes than Jersey, but the catch here is so many communities have a CDD fee on top of the RE tax that in actual dollars (not the % on assessed values) I would have paid less in Jersey! And EVERYTHING costs more here! Gas (under $2.50gal full service in NJ vs over $2.70 gal self service Jax), clothing (no sales tax in NJ, 7% tax Jax), food, just everything. Honestly, I have yet to find ONE single thing that is less expensive here than it was in NJ. And the weather just sucked this winter too! (But this winter sucked bigtime in the Northeast too!)

I'm just trying to make good of this situation, since my children are adjusting pretty well in school, and have both expressed they don't want to keep moving. (Started 9th grade here). It is upsetting to me that things aren't exactly what I had hoped for in terms of finding a new home, and the pay discrepancy is so large (I'm an LPN and just finding the job I have was difficult, in Jersey and Philly I made more than what I see RN's here making in many places, and finding work was never a prob). I was fortunate (?) that I was able to sell my NJ home very quickly and that I was able to make a decent profit since I wasn't upside down or anything with my mtg. I am gainfully employed, so for that I am grateful, and I do love the community we are renting in, and hopefully I will be able to buy here. Right now, I'm trying to make lemonade out of my lemons.

Lastly, just as I did let neagtive comments dissuade me against ATL, I am not trying to do that to you. Only from one Jerseyan to another, visit here, two or three times if possible (my mistake was coming here only once, and as part of our spring vacation in Orlando). Once you narrow down an area try and factor in all aspects of the move, Location, location, location do you want to be close to shopping? walking/biking/driving distance or do you want to be out in the boonies? How long will it take you to get to the main hwy? I-95/295/9A? Do you want a lifestyle community and the CDD fees that come with them, or are you just looking for a house with the free city amenities? And don't forget to budget just how much of a paycut you can take and still afford to live the lifestyle you want. (I just didn't account for all these things...but can't cry over spilled milk...just keeping trying to make lemonade )

Truly wishing you the best, and if you do come to JAX, a big welcome neighbor!

Old 03-19-2010, 06:42 AM

23 posts, read 56,266 times
My experience is alot different from the previous poster.

The only value in living in NJ is proximity to the Big Apple. The NYC skyline at night is awesome. I moved away from NJ and that was one of the best decisions of my life. I live in Jax but am now on an assignment in DC. It is not just the winters but the quality of life in NJ was what did it for me and I don't know how anyone could say that living in NJ is less expensive. Food may be a bit lower in NJ but utilities are much higher.

Getting from one place to another in Jax can be a pain because the city is so spread out but in NJ the tolls everywhere were driving me crazy.

All of Fl had a very bad winter this time but that is not the norm for this part of the country. Plus the Jersey Shores are like a cesspool compared to the beaches here.

The government in NJ at the state level is the most inept and corrupt in the country and that accounts for the fact that living there is so expensive. In Fl salaries are lower than up north but then again there is no income tax and the cost of living is much much lower. In spite of what you hear, you can find decent housing at very reasonable cost especially today without having to deal with CDD fees.

Finally, the job market here may be improving but is still down so it may take some effort on your part to find a job. I do agree with the previous poster that you should take your time and pay a few visits before you decide to move out of that awful state. Take nivia's advice.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:00 AM

154 posts, read 324,124 times
Hello TOC, I have relocated many times in my life without having a job lined up in advance. I know, most people take the cautious route and follow all the traditional avenues. Unless you can afford to fly back and forth for interviews, I think it's better just to make the move and go for it. I hope you have a few thousand dollars saved up until you get hired. For when you first arrive, I would recommend trying Craigslist for a short-term rental or roommate situation. When you arrive, hit the ground running with your job search. I hope you have a car, because Jacksonville is pretty much a car city. However, it is possible to get by on the buses to select locations.
You can always work with a temporary agency in the beginnning while you are finding your career. I have always liked to find jobs in the non-traditional way, i.e. target the company or industry you would like to work in and show up with resume and cover letter in hand. Good luck, I know you can do this!

Old 03-19-2010, 11:03 AM
TOC TOC started this thread

36 posts, read 115,569 times
I certainly appreciate everyone's input. From getting a local phone number/address (possibly a PO BOX I guess?), to getting a little behind the scenes on cost of living, it is all a big help. And Google Voice I am now waiting on an invitation to get this service; it sounds like a great idea!

My wife and I actually have been visiting NE Florida for about 8 years now and we have been going back and forth with the idea of relocating for probably just as long. Luckily we are still young in our careers. I'm 27 so I have close to 6 years working experience, BUT I'm still new enough in the game where I won't be taking a huge paycut. That is why we have decided to go now. If we wait too long, we will have to sacrifice much more. We also don't want to raise our future children in NJ whenever that happens. The quality of life in NJ is basically ranked the worst in the country. So much stress, so much pollution. Everything that used to be good here is long gone. I honestly don't know if I'll miss anything about living in NJ (other than the small amount of family left in this area).

So, I feel we have given this a great amount of thought (probably too much!). We are over cautious people and that is why it has taken so long to make the decision to actually move. The only thing holding us back is lining up jobs. I've already figured out what our required income would have to be for the necessities and I really don't think it's too outlandish. Again, since we are both still new in our careers, we are looking in the $35k to $40k a year income range (per person). I'm hoping with a college education and a good amount of work experience, I can earn that amount. I guess we'll see.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 03-19-2010, 02:55 PM

154 posts, read 324,124 times
So that means you're coming? Good for you! I like adventuresome people!

Old 03-22-2010, 03:16 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
My husband and I moved from Philadelphia to Miami in 1973 - when we were in our 20's. Middle of the recession (about as bad as the one we have now). Wouldn't have made the move without nailing down jobs first.

In general - wages in Florida are lower than those up north - but it is really profession and job specific. Housing is cheaper than most places up north - but lots of things cost about the same. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville