Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2008, 05:40 AM

75 posts, read 204,112 times

Advertisements

I know someone who was arrested on a mistameanor inthe beginging of February and still has not been to court yet. Do our judges have too much power or are they so overwelmed that they can't keep up. Nat Glover wants more police on the streets but maybe we need more Judges first!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 06:35 AM

549 posts, read 2,206,229 times
There's actually time lines in which court procedures must take place. If this person's rights are being violated, it would be up to their attorney to file.

If they're still being held in jail, then it would seem that it's pretty serious charges, or they've not been able to make bail. I don't know why you think it's a matter of judges having too much power...however, I do know that the courts are overwhelmed with cases. This could also be a case where it's been continued for whatever reason...it sounds like you may not know all of the details. Because the courts just can't have someone sitting in jail, for no reason...so there's probably more to what's behind the delay.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:41 PM

75 posts, read 204,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm32206 View Post
There's actually time lines in which court procedures must take place. If this person's rights are being violated, it would be up to their attorney to file.

If they're still being held in jail, then it would seem that it's pretty serious charges, or they've not been able to make bail. I don't know why you think it's a matter of judges having too much power...however, I do know that the courts are overwhelmed with cases. This could also be a case where it's been continued for whatever reason...it sounds like you may not know all of the details. Because the courts just can't have someone sitting in jail, for no reason...so there's probably more to what's behind the delay.
I happen to be close to this case and for some people who for most of thier lives never see the inside of a courtroom the wheels of justice seem to be moving awful slow! For one thing I don't think it should take 6 weeks for anyone to get before the court no matter what the crime. If the courts are that backed up then maybe the city should focus on relieving the pressure on the too few judges we have to deal with the matters in front of the courts. When I watch Law and order on T.V. they never seem to show the huge time lapse between apprehension and trial.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:39 PM

702 posts, read 2,186,422 times
The city is currently trying to get the court house and an overall expansion of the judicial system for our county, but they can only do what they can afford...

Old 03-22-2008, 05:20 AM

549 posts, read 2,206,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin3 View Post
I happen to be close to this case and for some people who for most of thier lives never see the inside of a courtroom the wheels of justice seem to be moving awful slow! For one thing I don't think it should take 6 weeks for anyone to get before the court no matter what the crime. If the courts are that backed up then maybe the city should focus on relieving the pressure on the too few judges we have to deal with the matters in front of the courts. When I watch Law and order on T.V. they never seem to show the huge time lapse between apprehension and trial.
The court system is pretty overloaded, has been for many, many years. Wanting more judges is fine, but it's taxpayer money that pays for them...and that's where you're going to find problems...just as we need more prisons to house those convicted...which then leads to more early-release. Just as there's also the shortage of public defenders...the list goes on and on.

If you're close to this case, then you would know if there's been a continence or not...and what's going on. Like I said before, there's laws in place that dictate the length of time in which certain procedures must take place...unless of course, there's been requests for a continuence....all of which plays a part of how speedy things move along. Without us knowing the circumstances of this case...we can only speculate on generalities.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:37 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,992,621 times
Plus, do realize that the "delay" is not unique to Jacksonville -- it's found in every court system. I'm following a case up in PA .. the arrest was last August for a misdemeanor and here it is March and it's still ongoing in the court system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville