Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 09:06 PM

8 posts, read 13,817 times

Advertisements

I don't have much support in my physical experience. I'm 27 years old, professionally trained, licensed to work in my field, and living in a rural area with a heavy heavy emphasis on hearing things through the grape vine. Not much emphasis on talent.

I don't want to blame this on the way I was raised, but realistically I think it has a lot to do with it. I am fighting my conditioning hard, to be more responsible. Currently living with a parent (I did live on my own for a few years, by the way), and I'm sooooo ready to be out of this situation.

I would love to move cross country but my field is regulated by state law, not federal law, and most states would require a lengthy certification process before I could work in my field. But boy, would I love to move, since my values don't tend to mesh with the values of the area.

I'm not sure I'm managing my emotions effectively? Any tips for how to keep doing the job application process when you're feeling stressed and desperate to get into a new situation? I find myself getting impatient with it, and even a bit burned out, but I have student loans to deal with too. Like so many other people.

I've been freaking about this phase of my life. I'm not sure I'm cut out for this work that I picked (mainly because I'm deeply sensitive to my environment and it would potentially involve working with a lot of really intense stuff in the environment), but I need the income. I thought about freelance options but ... I don't know... I'm just having trouble with this phase of my life.

And when I'm this stressed, I am not sure I am putting my best foot forward in these professional settings. Plus I have a feeling my soft skills need work, but I've had some trouble finding places to practice them.

I know there's probably been a million threads like this here, especially with the economy. But if anyone out there - maybe a supportive mom (since my own mother is anything but) - could share some tips or reassurance, it would be very appreciated. Advice would be helpful, and reassurance would also be helpful.

I sound like I don't have it together... in some moments that's not true, but right now, I'm feeling the pressure. Thanks in advance to anyone who has anything helpful to share here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 09:15 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
I don't even understand what you mean by this:

Quote:
I don't have much support in my physical experience. I'm 27 years old, professionally trained, licensed to work in my field, and living in a rural area with a heavy heavy emphasis on hearing things through the grape vine. Not much emphasis on talent.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:29 PM

8 posts, read 13,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I don't even understand what you mean by this:
Thanks for the opportunity to clarify. I am seeking work, and have the professional resources needed for a job, but I've found the process of landing a firm opportunity to be very stressful (as most people probably do). I don't have a very good support system, and don't want to burden my friends with my stuff since most people prefer positive interactions.

Where I live it is often about who you know, not what you know.

I think I was basically hoping for reassurance, but since no one here knows me that might have been unrealistic.

This post was partly influenced by learning of a particular job opportunity, then having the contact go quiet, then having them get my hopes up again, and then the contact went quiet again. It's nerve wracking...

I'm in that phase of life where you finished school and are taking your place in the world as an independent adult, and my primary resource for that isn't really helping me deal with these things. But I want to deal with them.

Not sure that makes it any clearer but thanks for responding.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:28 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
What is your field? Where do you live? are you near a city?

We cant really be of much help if we dont know any of these specifics.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,313 times
Default Men's secrets

Men have own secrets too. What do you think about this?

Old 12-19-2010, 09:05 AM

83 posts, read 280,130 times
I've been in your shoes before - feeling the pressure about moving out from the parents, looking for a job, wondering if you chose the right career path, etc.

I think it would definitely help if you said at least what field you work in (just a guess, are you in forensics?), and if you're looking for an urban area or want to stay rural.

It is difficult when you don't have a support system, but you eventually need to rely on your self and your own instincts. Do what you feel is best and go from there. If you think you want to relocate out of state but you can't because of government regulations, then move find another kind of job and do the certification for that state. You just gotta try it out. You're young like me and it's not worth staying somewhere if you aren't happy.

I lived on my own for a little bit too when I moved to Seattle on a whim, found a job, got laid off, moved back to Pennsylvania, and now I'm living with the parents. I feel the same pressure to get out and live on my own and be independent, so you're not alone. It takes time to find your place somewhere and feel comfortable. I've been looking for a jobs and doing the whole apply, wait, hear back, get excited, interview, don't hear back, something comes up and nothing transpires thing.

It's definitely a stressful time for many people looking for work or living somewhere they don't want to be. The economy has really been the main culprit. You might have to do something different while you wait for it to get a little better (could be a few years though). Maybe your line of work is too restricting, which could possibly be the stress factor and the reason looking for work in a narrow field is causing you anxiety and lots of pressure. If this isn't the case and you know you want to keep working in your field, you just have to take it day by day with looking/applying for jobs, but keep your eye on where you want to be in a year or two from now. Looking too far ahead can cause even more stress and anxiety. Things always change and you won't be where you think you'll be in 5, 10, 15 years from now.

Try to relax and zone out distractions in your life.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:41 AM

247 posts, read 751,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by better-and-better View Post

Where I live it is often about who you know, not what you know.
on earth??? It's like that everywhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search