Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 04:48 PM

361 posts, read 1,087,691 times

Advertisements

As I have stated in another thread, I have applied for a job as a ticket taker/usher for the Miami Heat at the American Airlines Arena in, you guessed it, Miami. Keep in mind, I'm out of state at the moment, in Lousiana. I got a call back from an HR representative earlier this month on August 5th and we successfully had a good talk, as well as a smooth mini interview. I then went on to inform her that I am out of state at the moment, and will not be in Miami till August 31st, to which she replied "no problem". She then went on to assure me that on August 18th, that's today, they are doing the interviews for the position and that one of the higher-ups would call me to conduct a phone interview. I was extremely happy and grateful, and we departed ways happily.

Fast forward to today, August 18th, and not a single call from AA Arena. After waiting nervously on the couch for 3-4 hours I finally called them, to which I was connected to the answering machine of the interviewer (he was busy conducting the in-person interviews at the time). I left him a message with my name, my situation and my phone number. That was about 3 hours ago at 3:30 Miami time, and it is now 6:40 Miami time. I am livid.

Ok, I understand that I probably should have gotten a set time from the HR to conduct the interview, I learned my lesson. Next, I understand that the interviewer probably has plenty of options to choose from in the in-person interviews and was probably busy conducting those interviews. That's fine, but then don't tell me that I can expect a phone call on that date if it is too inconvenient, or you are just too busy to bother. I wasted my whole day sitting on the couch waiting for this place to call me. If it was too much of a problem to conduct an interview over the phone (which, sure, I understand), the HR should have told me that from the get go.

Anyways, what can I do? I was thinking about calling back early tomorrow (it's a hit or miss calling the AA Arena, you either get an automated voice, or a live employee. I was getting automated voices calling back all night.). Should I call them back tomorrow and attempt to get in touch with the interviewer again? What should I do? I really want this job, and will try to be aggressive.

Thanks a lot for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 05:59 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Make one more call-back and then let it go.

Your thread is coming across very angry, to me anyway, so I suggest you try to find some zen or inner peace or solitude or something, before tomorrow. I can understand you are disappointed, but "livid"? That's pretty extreme. It doesn't sound like you sacrificed anything major by missing this call. Being aggressive and/or angry isn't going to get you this job. It's going to land you in the reject pile. So if you do manage to reach someone tomorrow, you need to be in a calm and confident state of mind to come across well in the interview. If you are upset or irritated, you will not be at your best.

Whatever happens, its really best to not pin all your hopes on, or get emotionally attached, to a potential job. Otherwise you'll just exhaust yourself with every potential job and interview. Work on some other applications or resumes so you don't have all your eggs in one basket.

Last edited by kodaka; 08-18-2010 at 06:08 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 06:45 PM

361 posts, read 1,087,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Make one more call-back and then let it go.

Your thread is coming across very angry, to me anyway, so I suggest you try to find some zen or inner peace or solitude or something, before tomorrow. I can understand you are disappointed, but "livid"? That's pretty extreme. It doesn't sound like you sacrificed anything major by missing this call. Being aggressive and/or angry isn't going to get you this job. It's going to land you in the reject pile. So if you do manage to reach someone tomorrow, you need to be in a calm and confident state of mind to come across well in the interview. If you are upset or irritated, you will not be at your best.

Whatever happens, its really best to not pin all your hopes on, or get emotionally attached, to a potential job. Otherwise you'll just exhaust yourself with every potential job and interview. Work on some other applications or resumes so you don't have all your eggs in one basket.
Thanks, I will do just that. I'm a lot calmer now though, and I have pulled some other strings to help get me to Florida by August 31st. You're right, I won't get attached to a certain job again, it's too stressful. It was just irritating sitting around my phone all day waiting for a phone call that never came, luckily the message I left on the interviewers machine was polite, so I will be able to call back tomorrow. I will approach the phone call with an optimistic and cheery attitude. Thanks for your reply.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:49 PM

836 posts, read 1,777,615 times
I should not have read this topic yesterday, prior to my own phone interview now the bad luck has robbed on me!!

Similar situation: scheduled interview (I actually had time set, for 1pm), but spent all day by the phone(s), but nobody called!! And I AM in town, though, my cell phone has a different area code, but next to it they have a home phone listed with local number... I am at loss of ideas what's happening

Old 09-02-2010, 07:29 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Sometimes things come up. I had a phone interview with an internal contact at my company. I waited by the phone and nothing happened. My other interviews had not been an issue (they were all done via the phone).

When are scheduled time ended, I sent the person an email and was very polite saying we must have had crossed wires, etc.

Within 3 hours I got an email from the person stating that their infant had developed a very bad fever and with all of that rush she had embarassingly forgotten my interview. I could understand-- something very stressful came up for her and she needed to take care of business. We rescheduled, she was super prompt and it went very very well and gave us something to talk about to connect with.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:31 PM

836 posts, read 1,777,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Sometimes things come up...
They sure do!
My person turned out to have been sick (called me back the next day, answering my message). But we did not reschedule and instead, went ahead with "interview" right then.
But it was only a couple of questions "Will be quick for you!.."), plus I might have felt caught off-guard and not sound as assured (could not remember an example for when customer or co-worker needed help, and I did help without being asked... heck, that stuff happens all the time, how do I remember an individual event?).

Anyway, she said she would call back in a couple of days to schedule a real (in person) interview.
Friday was the second day, now 3-days-long weekend. Something tells me this isn't happening

Should have said "Have a nice day" to her, like I wanted to, but felt shy to say it to her... yet, when taken a customer service skills test in my unemployment agency, the score was 100% perfect! Which rather surprised my agent, because I was off work for a while, and people who worked for 15 years straight sometimes could not get things right!

And my math skills are still pretty good, and typing is 40 wpm...
I guess being prepared and feeling confident at the moment really DOES make a difference for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search