Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 07:42 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,883 times

Advertisements

Can someone please give me real advice on finding jobs (short term) and finding jobs to start a career (long term after I finish school)?

I love my parents, but I think their advice is messed up. I keep asking them for advice on how to get a job to make money for school (during school and during the summer). All they said was go online, or to the business, and fill out applications. This was about a year and a half ago that I did this, and nothing came of it. One reply for a hotel, yeah, but they didn't want me. And the interviewers at the World Market were so ageist! They decided to choose an older applicant over me. I finally landed a part time job at a fast food place. While I am glad to be working, I do not want to stay there forever.

Is there some other step in the job searching process that I am missing? I don't have any "special" skills other than the standard "I know how to use computers" and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 08:21 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Tell everyone you know about your job search; even post it on facebook.
Use every on-line site you learn about.
Go to your state employment commission website and register as a job seeker and use their search engine.
Start your own little business. When I was a student I babysat and also had a small window washing business in addition to being a summer camp counselor and waitressing part time. I also worked retail during the holiday season.

Its called hustling. The more jobs you get the more likely your path will fall into place.
Also, get skills training. Take Office classes. Learn word, spreadsheet, and access like a wiz.
If you prefer, take a class on electricity or building trades. In addition to college classes, take vocational classes.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:37 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
If you're still in school you might want to think about interning and/or volunteer work for something that will help career wise.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:52 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I am tired of people asking the same thing...the only way to find a job is to LOOK for one. It is a full time job to find a good job, it is also a numbers game, the more jobs you apply for, the higher chance you have of getting an interview, the more you interview, the better you develop your skills at becoming a good interviewee- to demonstrate your ability to be an asset to a company. I would say of the 100 jobs I have applied for, I was interviewed for 20, of those 20, I was offered 2. Those are my "numbers", so as I said, it is a numbers game, that you have to work in order to win.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:10 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Here is an approach that could work depending on your willingness to commit time and effort on your part without the reward of a paycheck at first. You will need to invest some time and effort though and it may not pay off at first. Remember though that is just part of life.

First: Decide on something that you want to do even if you never finish school. For example if working in a law firm was your thing, look into law firms that are in your area, or if healthcare is your thing look into doctors offices, hospitals, or long term care facilities. Make a list of at least 5 places that you would love to work at that are in your area.

Second: Develop a presentation that will include,

1: A cover letter, preferably directed to a decision maker at the place you want to work for. The cover letter will introduce you and explain your desire to work for them and list reasons why you want to be in that industry.

2: A resume. Don't worry about the lack of experience or education. Your resume will focus on what you know how to do now and how that knowledge will help the prospective employer. You will also put in the resume that you will be attending school and will be taking classes geared toward that field. Any computer, job related, education related, time saving, or hard working related information you can include.

3: A minute to 2 minute speech on why the company would benefit with you working there as an intern. At this point you need to show them that you are willing to offer your time for free in exchange for experience in the field. What you want them to know is that you are going to do everything you can to learn about what it is that they do. You need them to know that this is your chosen lifes work and that you are willing to work for free if that is what it takes just to build a back ground in that field. Build a good case for yourself and chances are they will be left feeling that they have to have you as part of their staff.

Third: Take your list and find out as much as you can about each choice on your list. You may have to call and get names of people to talk to. The higher up within an organization the better. Make appointments with these people. Let them know that you are looking for a mentor within their industry and that you have some questions for them. You will want to prepare a list of at least five questions that you can ask them. Especially since you may be asking those over the phone. Hopefully you can get an actual appointment though.

fourth: You will need to visit with them a minumum of 6 times. Chances are it will be less. Statistically speaking you will make 6 trips to discuss becoming an intern for them. Plan on doing this with all five top choices. You want them to remember who you are.

Fifth: Here is where that short speech comes in handy. Where ever you are give that speech. If you are in an elevator, make contact with the people in the elevator and ask what they do here. Chances are they will tell you and ask a similar question of you. You want a quick responce, maybe a 15 second version of your speech and the longer version to fall back on if it turns out that they are interested themselves.

Sixth: When the above works and your persistance pays off try working as an intern for a six month period. Always ask for a weekly meeting to determine how you are doing as an intern and to showcase what you have learned that week. Keep a paper record of the things that you are learning. At the end of 6 months ask for a more detailed review of your work. At this time ask if the company has a place for you where you can work full time while you continue to learn from your boss, manager, or whomever you report to. If they can not offer a job at this time you have the choice to continue working as an intern or take what you have learned and see if a similar company can use your services. One thing you can do while working as an intern is to always learn about what is needed at the job. If they have open positions find out about them and if during your time at the company you have proven yourself chances are one of those open positions will be yours. By that point you have an in at the company and know the people that work there. You would have an advantage over those that are trying to get a job there.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:29 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Start networking like crazy. Make a list of people you respect professionally, make a list of companies you admire as well. Start calling people on those lists and explain you are currently in school, but are extremely interested in what they do, and that you admire the work they have done. Say you would love to take 30 minutes with them and hear about their job and how they got where they are today.

95% of people will say yes. I guarantee it. When you sit down with them, ask leading questions (let them talk at least 70-80% of the time). Do NOT ask for a job, do not seem like you are trying to get anything out of them. At the end of the 30 minutes, casually mention you are a student and you would love to work in that field one day, shake their hand and leave. At this point, you have a connection. You have a reason to talk to this person, and once per month or so 'ping' them so they remember you. (send them a quick email with a question, or with an article you read on their industry that you found interesting). If you do this enough (I did it once/week or so in college) you will have a network of people who respect you and admire you. Do this for long enough (a year or two), and THEN apply for a job with that person's company. At that point, they will jump at the chance of hiring you.

I did this throughout college, and I eventually got to know the vice president of a fortune 500 company towards the beginning of my junior year. I kept in touch with him, doing exactly what I just said and he offered me a job four months before I graduated, without even needing to see a resume from me.

It takes time to build a good network, but once you do, finding a job is easy.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Tell everyone you know about your job search; even post it on facebook.
Use every on-line site you learn about.
Go to your state employment commission website and register as a job seeker and use their search engine.
Start your own little business. When I was a student I babysat and also had a small window washing business in addition to being a summer camp counselor and waitressing part time. I also worked retail during the holiday season.

Its called hustling. The more jobs you get the more likely your path will fall into place.
Also, get skills training. Take Office classes. Learn word, spreadsheet, and access like a wiz.
If you prefer, take a class on electricity or building trades. In addition to college classes, take vocational classes.
Yeah, I tried facebook and other online (like Indeed) sites. Both suck for finding jobs. I'll try the employment commission. What other sorts of skill training? I already know how to to Office. I use it 24/7 and even took a computer class on it b/c it was required for my degree. Would just getting a cheap certification over the summer be best? I can't take any additional classes out of my major right now. I wish I could, but I can't.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
If you're still in school you might want to think about interning and/or volunteer work for something that will help career wise.
Thanks. I already did some volunteering, and I am looking for an internship now. I guess I was already on the right track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I am tired of people asking the same thing...the only way to find a job is to LOOK for one. It is a full time job to find a good job, it is also a numbers game, the more jobs you apply for, the higher chance you have of getting an interview, the more you interview, the better you develop your skills at becoming a good interviewee- to demonstrate your ability to be an asset to a company. I would say of the 100 jobs I have applied for, I was interviewed for 20, of those 20, I was offered 2. Those are my "numbers", so as I said, it is a numbers game, that you have to work in order to win.
Rude much? I don't give a rat's bum what you are tired of. I AM looking for a job. I don't know where in my post where it said I wasn't. I actually do already have one, I just wanted more career and job advice to supplement what my parents said b/c I wasn't sure if my parent's were giving me enough advice. Please learn how to read. I have been applying and have gotten some interviews before. I have only had 3 interviews, and only one gave me a job. The other two (one at a hotel, and the other at World Market) didn't want me because I was young and it would have been my first job. Also, I am applying to Ulta and other places for a summer job when I return home. Please don't make assumptions about people based on what other posters ask about their own job experiences in other threads.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:36 PM

@ SOON2BNSURPRISE and hnsq

Thanks, I really like this. I have never thought about just calling people out of the blue. I thought that it would be weird, and I didn't want to "waste" other people's time. I guess I'll have to get out of that. I'll try to look at some local accounting firms and banks in the area and look up people to talk to.

Actually, my uncle said something similar about keep calling the places that I send resumes to. I usually do it at max 3 times, but he said more. I guess he is right.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:23 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Good advice.

And, to the OP, depending on what you major is in college, you may be able to find other opportunities on campus. When I was an undergrad psych major, I spent my last two years working as an assistant for a professor's research group. I didn't get anything back in terms of tuition reimbursement (I think maybe I was able to make it count towards a couple of elective credits one semester, I can't recall) but having that experience helped in applying to both grad school and to my first job.

Bottom line, make sure that when you graduate, you have some real-world experience to add to your classroom learning.

Quote:
I am tired of people asking the same thing..
Then move on ahead to the next thread skippy. No one is forcing you to read this one. Actually, I find it pretty admirable that someone young and still in school is trying to be smart about their future career path by asking questions.

Quote:
it is also a numbers game, the more jobs you apply for, the higher chance you have of getting an interview...so as I said, it is a numbers game, that you have to work in order to win.
That is working harder, not smarter. The smart way is to try and make yourself as qualified as possible so that every company you apply to, assuming you meet the minimum qualifications on paper, will want to bring you in for an interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Start networking like crazy.

It takes time to build a good network, but once you do, finding a job is easy.
Absolutely spot-on. A solid network is always an asset and an advantage. Get a LinkedIn account if you don't already have one. Even starting professional relationships with peers in the same field, as well as professors, can pay off down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search