Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 06:17 PM

354 posts, read 855,575 times

Advertisements

I'm not just talking dressing proffessionally for an Interview (That Is A Given) I'm talking about actual physical attractiveness. I know most people say that it doesn't matter but looks are important in a lot of things in life where they shouldn't matter.

My interview the other day was mischeduled and I ended up having to wait for 2 hours before they were ready for me. It gave me a chance to meet some of the competition and they all looked pretty rough. I was definetly the most handsome of them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 08:14 PM

404 posts, read 905,003 times
Depends on the job, but if you are dealing with customers face to face on a regular basis then it is safe to say yes, physical appearance definitely matters. It's not just looks though, its body language and overall confidence. I think this applies most to the sales and service industries.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:29 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,160,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
I'm not just talking dressing proffessionally for an Interview (That Is A Given) I'm talking about actual physical attractiveness. I know most people say that it doesn't matter but looks are important in a lot of things in life where they shouldn't matter.

My interview the other day was mischeduled and I ended up having to wait for 2 hours before they were ready for me. It gave me a chance to meet some of the competition and they all looked pretty rough. I was definetly the most handsome of them all.
I think looking "rough" is in right now.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:04 AM

23,224 posts, read 29,056,523 times
A "well-dressed" personality might do as much for you as appearance. Most hiring decisions are based, sadly, on the emotions of the interviewer.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:17 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
I'll say this, if an interviewer had two people in front of them, one who's dressed in flip flops and shorts, was butt-ugly and has the exact qualifications they're looking for, and one who's dressed in a black business suit, handsome/pretty and neatly combed/brushed hair, but isn't hardly qualified, they weould easily overlook the appearance and go for the most qualified person.

That said, it one were competing between people with similar qualifications, appearance could very well make a difference.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:43 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Quote:

You might be surprised what they thought seeig you;LOL

Old 09-14-2011, 06:43 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
A "well-dressed" personality might do as much for you as appearance. Most hiring decisions are based, sadly, on the emotions of the interviewer.
I definitely agree there. I've been to places looking to hire scientists and they pick them based on how they look and answer retarded/cliched interview questions. Businesses deserve every bad employee they hire. They remind me of the guy who walks onto a car dealership unprepared and just picks the shiny blue car on a whim and doesn't care about gas millage, price, reliability, or financing.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:17 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,314,449 times
thats why mainly in retail jobs, customer-service jobs, I think girls, woman, mainly the attractive ones have an easier time getting an interview or hired, because human-resouces departments, the hiring managers or owners, see/view them as "Bait" to attract and lure more customers, more money, more business

Old 09-17-2011, 01:16 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:

It's not important since I worked with a lot of fat and unattractive people in the past 13 years.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:33 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
I think attractiveness does play some role in the hiring decisions for sales/customer service type jobs but ultimately, it's the candidate's personality that has a big influence if that person is expected to work with the public or with people in general. A lot of hiring decisions within private companies sometimes boil down to whether the interviewers feel a "click" with the candidate and whether they feel that the interviewee would fit within the company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search