Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:09 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,282,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Look it up, talk to people at top schools. I am telling it like it is. I am sorry if you think that what I say is 'fantasy land', but it is the truth. I am actually in a very similar situation to the OP. I am going to school at night at a top 15 MBA program while working a full time job. The fact of the matter is that anyone graduating from a top 15 MBA program is going to get a very decent job offer. There are a very select few people who do not, but they are the exception, not the rule.
Here's some average salaries for MBA's:

2011 MBA Rankings : The B-School Application

Top programs coincide with what hnsq is saying at around $100 - 120K after graduation.

I'm in a top 100 program myself, my salary is already way higher than the average for harvard and yale and the likes... But I'm hoping the MBA will boost my salary even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 02:17 PM

89 posts, read 240,192 times
Quote:
The fact of the matter is that anyone graduating from a top 15 MBA program is going to get a very decent job offer. There are a very select few people who do not, but they are the exception, not the rule.
citation please. i would like to see placement rates for PTers. my guess is it's all about work experience. if a person worked at ML or Google while in B-school, sure they can get offers. but they'd get them without the MBA. most of my classmates stayed at their companies so i can't use them for anedoctal evidence as to whether they got "very decent job offer[s]."

Old 01-09-2012, 02:19 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Here's some average salaries for MBA's:

2011 MBA Rankings : The B-School Application

Top programs coincide with what hnsq is saying at around $100 - 120K after graduation.

I'm in a top 100 program myself, my salary is already way higher than the average for harvard and yale and the likes... But I'm hoping the MBA will boost my salary even more.
Thank you. Look - I am not trying to be an ass (even if it comes across that way). I am just saying I have spend time reading the book of job offers with salary/bonus structure/etc from alums at my school, and the money you get (part or full time) averages around 100k for my school at least. I have gone to a few conferences that are held for students at top 15-20 schools, and people I met have told me the same for other top ranked MBA programs.

This isn't to put the OP down, it is to get him to try and figure out what he is doing wrong. Sit down with your career service office. Set up a weekly meeting and do mock interviews, spend a few hours on resumes, and hone your job hunting skills. That is what the school is there for.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
This isn't to put the OP down, it is to get him to try and figure out what he is doing wrong. Sit down with your career service office. Set up a weekly meeting and do mock interviews, spend a few hours on resumes, and hone your job hunting skills. That is what the school is there for.
no offense, but seriously?

do you seriously think that i didn't do that? that is the most basic and generic advice. and i've done all of it - both in law school and business school.

it doesn't matter. no one will interview me.

career services is close to useless when you don't have name brand work experience or don't have a job function that is clear cut like lawyer, accountant, or financial analyst.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ker38 View Post
no offense, but seriously?

do you seriously think that i didn't do that? that is the most basic and generic advice. and i've done all of it - both in law school and business school.

it doesn't matter. no one will interview me.

career services is close to useless when you don't have name brand work experience or don't have a job function that is clear cut like lawyer, accountant, or financial analyst.
And comments like this are exactly why I question your story that you go to a top ranked school.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
And comments like this are exactly why I question your story that you go to a top ranked school.
comments like what?

surely your skin isn't that thin.

edit: i know i'm getting troll-baited, but i have a few minutes to kill.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:29 PM

40 posts, read 142,305 times
Did you get a dual degree? Can you hide the JD without it showing red flags/gaps?

Not many jobs posted publicly require a jd/mba. It would've helped while you were in school and competing for the same jobs as the other students.

But sadly, it hurts you for the more common, average jobs. Some publicly posted jobs want superman to fill the position, then that is when you list the combo. For the most part though, I would list the JD off.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodycool View Post
Did you get a dual degree? Can you hide the JD without it showing red flags/gaps?

Not many jobs posted publicly require a jd/mba. It would've helped while you were in school and competing for the same jobs as the other students.

But sadly, it hurts you for the more common, average jobs. Some publicly posted jobs want superman to fill the position, then that is when you list the combo. For the most part though, I would list the JD off.
yeah i can list only one. i think it's a good idea the more i think about it to leave the JD off, barring special circumstances.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:32 PM

40 posts, read 142,305 times
btw, how many jobs have you applied to?

Old 01-09-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ker38 View Post
comments like what?

surely your skin isn't that thin.

edit: i know i'm getting troll-baited, but i have a few minutes to kill.
No, comments such as "I have tried talking to career services". At top ranked schools, the ranking is very competitive, and student's rankings of career centers are a very, very major part of ranking MBA programs. A career services center at a top 20 MBA program simply would not stand by and let a student go through what you are going through. It hurts the school's reputation too much. If you were really at a top 20 MBA program, your career service office would work like hell to make sure you have a very job.

And I did not join this forum and post regularly for over four years just to troll you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search