Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 10:23 PM

8,236 posts, read 3,492,716 times

Advertisements

I've worked some work study jobs years ago during the 90s. No one who was there when I was there is still there. There apparently is no record of my working any of these work study jobs.

I did a graduate assistantship back in 2006. The professor who supervised me is gone. No one can vouch I was even there.

The only employment I've done that is verifiable is at Wal-mart, where I was fired. I wasn't fired for doing anything wrong. They just said that they didn't intend to keep me at the last one I worked. Wal-mart was okay with my work at the first one I was at until I was injured on the job and filed a worker's comp claim. Then management stayed hostile towards me. I haven't been employed since Wal-mart fired me on December 24, 2009.

I had various jobs that lasted two weeks or less where I was fired because of my health problems, which of course I don't list on any job application.

I have no way to verify any of my job experience from my work study jobs. I cannot even remember start and end dates for job applications. I have to guess.

What do you all do for such problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 04:21 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
From what I recall, work study jobs are W-2 jobs. So is a GA position. You can get copies of your W-2 information from the IRS as proof of employment.

FYI. You shouldn't have to prove anything until you have a firm offer on the table.

Last edited by charlygal; 04-28-2017 at 04:42 AM..

Old 04-28-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
From what I recall, work study jobs are W-2 jobs. So is a GA position. You can get copies of your W-2 information from the IRS as proof of employment.

FYI. You shouldn't have to prove anything until you have a firm offer on the table.
No federal taxes were taken from my paychecks. I don't think I filled out any W2s or any other forms. There weren't even any SS taxes taken out.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:12 AM

The employers would still file the wages with the IRS regardless of deductions. Look up IRS form 4506-T.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:23 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
Charly is right.

You should get a W2 form. I did a number of workstudy positions in college and a parttime/fulltime position in college. I got a W2 for each one.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:30 AM

No, never got one. But all of these were mostly in the 1990s anyway. They might not have done that back then. The GA was in 2006 and I have no references for it. I think I got something for that, but the people who could've vouched for what kind of a job I did or what I did are long gone.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:36 AM

I filled out an application last night and someone actually emailed me from the company only to tell me the application is incomplete. I rechecked and the only thing missing is a cover letter, which I don't know how to do in the first place. So, it's either that cover letter or they think I must be leaving off recent jobs. I did leave off Wal-mart since when they gave references I was thrown out of places and was told I need a lawyer to find out what they're telling people, but that was a temp job anyway, so doesn't matter too much. Places can't believe I haven't worked recently and I have got asked why and I just say no one offered me a job. Will figure out how to do a cover letter later and add it to the application just in case that's what it is. Was really something trying to figure out how to throw together the resume they asked for. Jobs I apply for never asked for one. Felt weird using a resume.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
No, never got one. But all of these were mostly in the 1990s anyway. They might not have done that back then. The GA was in 2006 and I have no references for it. I think I got something for that, but the people who could've vouched for what kind of a job I did or what I did are long gone.
You aren't getting it. As the applicant, your only responsibility is to produce the name and dates of past employment when asked. That's all you can do. You bear no responsibility as to whether old managers and employees are still at the old employer. The info from the IRS will be proof enough.

Why are you so resistant?

Old 04-28-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You aren't getting it. As the applicant, your only responsibility is to produce the name and dates of past employment when asked. That's all you can do. You bear no responsibility as to whether old managers and employees are still at the old employer. The info from the IRS will be proof enough.

Why are you so resistant?
Not resistant. Just having trouble remembering way back then. I don't remember exact dates of the employment anymore. And they don't remember me to clue me in. These applications want dates so I just guess.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Not resistant. Just having trouble remembering way back then. I don't remember exact dates of the employment anymore. And they don't remember me to clue me in. These applications want dates so I just guess.
You don't remember when you went to college or grad school? Is this a Friday joke? You can request like 10 years of W-2 data just in case. My work here is done. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search