Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do I lie?
Yes, lie your ass off, technically it never happened, it's not a big deal, who cares, gotta do what you gotta do! 10 58.82%
No! How you gon do law enforcement and be a hypocrite breaking the law your damn self and then lying about it. F' you! 7 41.18%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 07:21 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times

Advertisements

It doesn't work that way. Most departments want you to be drug free for a minimum of two to three years before you apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 11:30 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,636,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
It doesn't work that way. Most departments want you to be drug free for a minimum of two to three years before you apply.
Like I said, they can only check 2-3 months of prior use with the hair test, which I don't even think they do. I think they stick with urine, which takes a week to clear up. The only other option would be polygraph, but not all depts use it, and it's not 100% accurate either.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:46 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
I am considering a career in law enforcement, perhaps as a police officer. Usually, they ask you whether you tried drugs, how long ago, why, etc. Far as I know, admitting to some marijuana use will not necessarily disqualify you all together, unless you got arrested, but why risk it? It's not registered anywhere so technically it never happened. My logic is that I think I could be a good cop, and I got a clean record so why should I possibly bury myself by being honest? Most cops tried it and most probably didn't lie about it and still got hired, but I am sure some of them "omitted" that info.
What you think, should I lie or no?
Well, since you posted this, it's simply best to be honest. Even if you didn't, being honest won't hurt, especially in a job where others will be trusting you with their lives. As mentioned by others, the backgroung check will be extensive and the people conducting them can smell BS a mile away.

Additionally, a department can and may Google your name. You would be surprised what comes up, and your "cyber DNA" is simply something that can't be refuted. It's better to simply be up front. Plus, if you get caught in a lie with this department, it WILL follow you when applying to others.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Well, since you posted this, it's simply best to be honest. Even if you didn't, being honest won't hurt, especially in a job where others will be trusting you with their lives. As mentioned by others, the backgroung check will be extensive and the people conducting them can smell BS a mile away.

Additionally, a department can and may Google your name. You would be surprised what comes up, and your "cyber DNA" is simply something that can't be refuted. It's better to simply be up front. Plus, if you get caught in a lie with this department, it WILL follow you when applying to others.
I wouldn't be surprised because there is nothing suspicious under my name if they google it. I don't use social networks with my real name, pics and self incriminating comments. Unless they can mind read, there is no way to find out.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:06 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,961 times
Default Ha Ha Ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
I am just rather dismayed that someone with a rather loose definition of ethics/morality is trying to be in law enforcement..
You obviously have never been to New Jersey.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
You obviously have never been to New Jersey.

In all seriousness though, let's put it this way, yea I don't like some bs laws targeting decent people for petty bs, but I got a strong sense of right and wrong. That's why I wanna join LE. I'm all about being fair and even my criminal justice teacher in college who is an ex Port Authority cop said that good cops need to think hard before their every decision when it comes to their interaction with public. You can't go by the book all the time. He said, if you choose to arrest someone as a cop, you have to stop and think before you do it, you are potentially ruining this person's life forever.
Is it worth it over them smoking a little weed? I don't feel like it is. Yea of course, if they assaulted somebody or whatever else, yea I would arrest them, but you have to use your head, you can't be a blind robot about it. Many cops cut a break to people when it comes to minor stuff, and not only in NJ or NY. Not all of them are asses, it's just that usually the negative news spreads way faster and better than positive thus the overall perception.

Last edited by OleSchoolFool; 02-23-2012 at 04:26 PM..

Old 02-24-2012, 09:09 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,961 times
Default Just remember, you ar in NJ, not LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post

In all seriousness though, let's put it this way, yea I don't like some bs laws targeting decent people for petty bs, but I got a strong sense of right and wrong. That's why I wanna join LE. I'm all about being fair and even my criminal justice teacher in college who is an ex Port Authority cop said that good cops need to think hard before their every decision when it comes to their interaction with public. You can't go by the book all the time. He said, if you choose to arrest someone as a cop, you have to stop and think before you do it, you are potentially ruining this person's life forever.
Is it worth it over them smoking a little weed? I don't feel like it is. Yea of course, if they assaulted somebody or whatever else, yea I would arrest them, but you have to use your head, you can't be a blind robot about it. Many cops cut a break to people when it comes to minor stuff, and not only in NJ or NY. Not all of them are asses, it's just that usually the negative news spreads way faster and better than positive thus the overall perception.
In all seriousness, you need to go to NORML NJ or another site and look at the current laws in Nj. You may not think a little weed is a big deal, but NJ LE does.

Just last year a person in Southern NJ was sent to prison for 5 years. His crime? He is a victim of MS. To treat this pain he was growing a few plants for personal use, and using cannabis because he had no insurance and couldn't afford the legal drugs, which are not as effective.

Also, if I were you I would not discuss my progressive views with other LE's until you retire, otherwise you could be put at risk your own job. Once you retire you can join LEAP and be a force for good. Until then, you need to understand that your job is to enforce the status quo, and in NJ that means that cannabis is a dangerous drug with no medical value. Even though the state passed a medical marijuana bill, that was done under the previous Democratic Administration, not Christie, who has delayed the program at every step.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:43 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
You obviously are gonna do what you are gonna do, but your job as a LEO is to enforce the laws on the books. Not cherry pick ones that you are and aren't going to care about.
Actually, that is what many cops do - and as the OP said, it's called "using their discretion," not lying or cherry-picking. How do I know this?

1. I've had cops let me go for marijuana-related offenses before it was legal-ish here (I'm a medical card holder now, and it's decriminalized for non-medical users). Most cops around here have never cared about pot, and only bust you for it if you're showing attitude, or if you're also breaking a more serious law.

2. My sister used to work for the police department, and said the officers thought marijuana laws were a joke. FYI, she passed the background check and polygraph despite smoking a fair amount of weed in college, and said they assume you're lying if you say NO NEVER to that particular question.

3. Where I work now we share a parking lot with the Sheriffs Dept, and I've gotten to know them since we smoke (cigarettes) together on our breaks... and while they don't break the law, as far as I know, they clearly "turn the other cheek" on certain minor violations.

That being said, you won't get hired as a currently active smoker - so better stop before the actual hiring process begins!

Old 02-24-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Actually, that is what many cops do - and as the OP said, it's called "using their discretion," not lying or cherry-picking. How do I know this?

1. I've had cops let me go for marijuana-related offenses before it was legal-ish here (I'm a medical card holder now, and it's decriminalized for non-medical users). Most cops around here have never cared about pot, and only bust you for it if you're showing attitude, or if you're also breaking a more serious law.

2. My sister used to work for the police department, and said the officers thought marijuana laws were a joke. FYI, she passed the background check and polygraph despite smoking a fair amount of weed in college, and said they assume you're lying if you say NO NEVER to that particular question.

3. Where I work now we share a parking lot with the Sheriffs Dept, and I've gotten to know them since we smoke (cigarettes) together on our breaks... and while they don't break the law, as far as I know, they clearly "turn the other cheek" on certain minor violations.

That being said, you won't get hired as a currently active smoker - so better stop before the actual hiring process begins!
Good post. I hear ya. Got a few questions for you:
Even though state law allows med smoking in CA, have you heard any stories about the Feds arresting or bothering medical smokers in your state? Just curious.
You said they assume you are lying if you say you never smoked, well, did your sis say she smoked a little or she made a poker face and straight up lied thru the poly?
Yea, I'm def gonna stop way before it begins. Btw, do you know whether they ever take hair drug tests or only urine?

Old 02-24-2012, 04:43 PM

Like gizmo confirmed, it's not unusual for cops to let it slide when it comes to minor things. I have a friend back in Pacific NW who used to stay high lol He had like 10 tickets for weed possesion. He got stopped like 20 times though (wasn't driving). Basically, half the time, the cops searched him, found it, threw it away and told him to get the fu*k outta there. He is not a smooth talker so if it was me my ratio would probably be better lol How you talk to them and treat them makes a HUGE difference. People sometimes forget they are human too. I could probably put together a standup show of all the hilarious dialogues I had upon my encounters with police over the years. You just gotta remember, if they caught you doing something, you gotta make them feel like they're the sh*t. They love their ego boosts. Calm, respectful and soft spoken goes a long way with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search