Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 10:17 AM

841 posts, read 1,917,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I am very pessimistic too. I had a brief period of optimism after I completed my degree in December but I am now more pessimistic than ever. I swear it feels like I am just throwing out resumes, applications, apptitude tests, personality tests, and cover letters straight into a black hole. What the hell is the point anymore!
Yeah, this.

I have 2 family members in this mess. I will soon be in it, too. I just can't understand how people apply for 30 or 40 jobs just like the one you had or similar and not get many bites.

Okay, most are from out of state. That's part of the lack of call back. There's precious little here, even if you do what they say, chase the companies.

Very few places are hiring. There is little turnover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehiesl View Post
Nope you're not alone, I've given up applying to jobs. Now I'm working with a temp agency because that's where all the admin jobs are anyway. Since they make a profit from my employment, they make sure I have opportunities to make a few bucks. If they don't, it's back to retail. And retail will always take ya even when they advertise for a full-time job and the first Q out of the interviewer's mouth is "are you willing to work part-time?"
Unfortunately this can also lead to very little. Temp agencies may be good but so many are scrapping for the same jobs.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:23 AM

62 posts, read 732,411 times
seriously, what caused the Economy to become like this in the first place? we have been in this since the end of 2007 or the beginning of 2008

Old 04-16-2012, 11:49 AM

I am not an economist but things got bad for us right after 9/11. There used to be pages of jobs then they slowly dried up. Each year it gets worse and worse.

2008 was a good year. We had jobs in a bad, bad market (small town) but that didn't last long for me.

Things just move so slow now. You used to see jobs, go on interviews, and get hired within a few weeks. Now it's months.

Meanwhile you have geniuses telling you that you suck and are milking the system if you are on unemployment or any gov't help. Where are these jobs people are SUPPOSED to get to get off unemployment?

6 people dancing around one job? So the other five will still be losers in some people's eyes.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:35 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I am not an economist but things got bad for us right after 9/11. There used to be pages of jobs then they slowly dried up. Each year it gets worse and worse.

2008 was a good year. We had jobs in a bad, bad market (small town) but that didn't last long for me.

Things just move so slow now. You used to see jobs, go on interviews, and get hired within a few weeks. Now it's months.

Meanwhile you have geniuses telling you that you suck and are milking the system if you are on unemployment or any gov't help. Where are these jobs people are SUPPOSED to get to get off unemployment?

6 people dancing around one job? So the other five will still be losers in some people's eyes.
6 job interviews since January for me, i'm still being persistant

Old 04-16-2012, 12:58 PM

392 posts, read 704,314 times
I don't even bother with cover letters anymore. I find it has no correlation to getting an interview.
I sent only my resume to one job posting that specifically asked for a cover letter and they still called me.

Large corporations probably don't even read them, they just load them into a script that reduces them into word "clouds" that they then interpret

Old 04-16-2012, 01:16 PM

35 posts, read 83,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
I don't even bother with cover letters anymore. I find it has no correlation to getting an interview.
I sent only my resume to one job posting that specifically asked for a cover letter and they still called me.

Large corporations probably don't even read them, they just load them into a script that reduces them into word "clouds" that they then interpret
i would really like to know what caused this recession specifically

Old 04-16-2012, 03:22 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCpopculturelover View Post
also, this is what can make it easier for women to get hired, to get a job than for men, women can just say they have a kid, or kids to support, and there is more sympathy towards women than men in our society
Or in a lot of cases, put certain parts of their bodies to good use.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:28 PM

35 posts, read 83,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Or in a lot of cases, put certain parts of their bodies to good use.
i totally agree

Old 04-16-2012, 05:55 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,783 times
People are worried about disabled people collecting chump change every month but nobody wants to offer up some jobs. So people like me are forced to go through beaurocratic agencies like Vocational rehab just to "hope" of getting a janitor or grocery bagging job because the councelors have connections or bribe the employers with tax break compensation.

People fuel the stereotypes, but they don't want to offer solutions!

"those people can't find a job it's their fault shame on them for needing assistance"

Alright sherlock, if it bothers you so much tell employers to hire me. Force them to hire people. Hire yourself. Just please stop complaining when you don't want to fix the problem!

You are actually contributing to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search