Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 10:44 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,404 times

Advertisements

I had a disastrous interview a while ago with a guy who was more or less a trust fund baby. Basically a 20 something year old CEO of a company that his father created and built that was handed to him. The role I was interviewing for was a finance role.

The interview started off with asking him to tell me my life story. He then probed my high school experience and kept asking more and more questions such as were you popular? What were you like? I was a bit baffled by these questions but just continued. Then he asked similar questions about my college experience. After that he continued on to my family and asked if I had siblings. He then probed my sibling relationships and asked even more intrusive questions such as what my parents do for a living. He then asked me questions about the state of college sports.

After that he asked some resume questions such as my employment gap and would probe even deeper and ask some dumb questions about it. He then asked me questions about my personality which weren't job related at all such as are you nice? Do you think you are too nice? After that the interview was over and he gave me some bizarre compliments and said he would contact me in a few weeks.

I obviously lost all interest in the role so I didn't care at all that I never heard back from him. Anyways, I just wanted to give an example of a bizarre job interview I had and what it is like to be interviewed by a trust fund baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 10:47 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
While that certainly sounds like a very bizarre interview (not sure I wouldn't have just walked out myself) I'm not sure what it had to do with being interviewed by a "trust fund baby". People from all walks of life can be very strange.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:50 PM

88 posts, read 296,543 times
Are you nice? that one cracks me up ahahaha

Old 04-24-2012, 10:54 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
While that certainly sounds like a very bizarre interview (not sure I wouldn't have just walked out myself) I'm not sure what it had to do with being interviewed by a "trust fund baby". People from all walks of life can be very strange.
The reason he specifically mentioned he was a "trust fund baby" is because some young punk who's been sucking off his daddy's teet all of his life and who has likely never had it hard in life has the nerve to waste his time with pointless quesitons as a way to somehow belittle his accomplishments.

That would **** me off too.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:01 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
The reason he specifically mentioned he was a "trust fund baby" is because some young punk who's been sucking off his daddy's teet all of his life and who has likely never had it hard in life has the nerve to waste his time with pointless quesitons as a way to somehow belittle his accomplishments.

That would **** me off too.
Yeah, that's about right. I got the feeling he asked me about what my parents do for a living so that he could belittle me. He had some work experience though less than 4 years and a top 3 MBA. He bluntly told me he didn't bother to pursue any of the jobs his MBA program had because his dad gave him the CEO role.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:19 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
Yeah, that's about right. I got the feeling he asked me about what my parents do for a living so that he could belittle me. He had some work experience though less than 4 years and a top 3 MBA. He bluntly told me he didn't bother to pursue any of the jobs his MBA program had because his dad gave him the CEO role.
That's what it sounds like. But keep in mind he sounds like the type who could also run this company right into the ground.

Because it doesn't sound like he has the smarts to surround himself with people who would keep his company "in the black" if that is how he interviews.

He will end up hiring dolts like himself.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:01 AM

392 posts, read 704,364 times
Let me guess.. the year was 1978 and the company was Bain Capital.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:13 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
It's funny how people make fun of others who are different than him. I agree that his interview tactics were unusual... but there's nothing here that points to him being a bad person.

It's probably best that the interview went the way it did. It's always best to lose interest in a position before starting the job.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:31 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
You just are not humble enough yet. If you really needed the job, you would have been like a small dog in his office, doing tricks. All that would matter is the money. Someone else will now have the job, which would consist mainly stroking the boss and feeding his ego that he is superior to you by virtue of the fact his family is rich. Good job, if you can be subservient.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:41 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's funny how people make fun of others who are different than him. I agree that his interview tactics were unusual... but there's nothing here that points to him being a bad person.
Bad, no. Clueless ... arguably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search