Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 09:02 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Because they could care less about rejected candidates.
That. ^

The only time I've ever heard back was when I got an offer... otherwise I took the lack of notification as a no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 09:07 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
I think the title of this thread already asks the question I am going to ask but why do employers not respond after an interview? I specifically address this question to anyone who is a recruiter/hiring manager/HR. Employers not responding isn't anything recent either. I only heard back from less than half the people I interviewed with back in 2005 and 2006. So the question is why no response especially since it only takes a few minutes to type out an email and send it out. I have never received a satisfactory answer when I asked this before to people in HR since they tend to dodge the question. Funny enough, I knew some HR people who were laid off and after they found jobs they continued this trend of ignoring emails and not responding.
Because just like in dating, it's easier for a person to take the hint that someone else was chosen. Sometimes there are emails or letters but it's not the case all the time. I rather not have a letter at all but I guess that's just me.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:57 AM

24 posts, read 42,281 times
Well... I am a recent grad and have been offered a job position just a couple weeks after graduation.

My suggestion to students out there that are about to graduate.... look for jobs now. Prepare that resume and cover letter. I didn't start my job search until a couple days after graduation. It took a lot of time and effort but it was successful.

Also, instead of applying to 100 different job positions, look for specific ones first... the one you really have interest in. Because when it comes to the interview, you know exactly what you are looking for, how to respond to questions, and what to say to the employer.

Cover Letter - Specifics specifics specifics! Be sure you have thoroughly researched the company before you apply... read the job description very carefully. Once you've done that, write a cover letter that is specific and pertains to the job position and the company you are applying for. Your cover letter is what gets your resume out of that stack of 1000 applicants.

Resume - Same as cover letter. Make it specific and applicable to the job/position you are applying for.

Don't just apply using the company website. After you've turned in the company website application forms, find the HR's email. This, again, requires company research. If you can get their e-mail... it shows that you've done a lot of research just to get it. Call the company and find out the HR's email.

Once you obtain the e-mail from the company's HR Manager, then e-mail your cover letter and resume directly. This will put it in front of the HR's face! You want to get their attention and with a cover letter that is specific to the job, you're for sure going to land an interview.

The first step of job searching is landing that phone/screening interview.

Most companies will write you an e-mail and ask you when would be a good time for you to be interviewed. Give yourself a day or two and spend these days to practice practice practice. More research about the company. Study study study. Study any related materials that pertains to the job position. Some companies will ask technical questions (just basic one) and make sure you know the answer to them! Practice answering interview questions.... the best way to do it is look for interview questions and sample answers. That way you know exactly how to respond (not what to respond as this is specific to you). Also, be ready to explain any gaps of unemployments, your work experience, other experience related to the job you are applying for.

Once you've done that first interview, prepare for the next step. This could be a second interview or even an on-site interview! Do a lot of research on how to dress professionally (overdress if you have to), lunch/dinner etiquette, more research about the company. Prepare any sample work you've done, prepare your references and have them ready (if they don't ask for it, dont give it... but if they do, be sure you have it ready). Prepare for salary negotiations (this is bound to happen, so make sure you know how to deal with it). Research how much you're worth in the market (don't undervalue yourself... if you do, the company will too and they'll get an impression that you're not hardworking because you undervalued yourself). But if you do negotiate your salary and get the salary you want, be ready to show it when you start working. Otherwise, if you're paid too high and do a poor job, well... you'll be the first one to be laid off.

Edit:

Also, be sure to write thank you letters/notes after each interviews and to each person that interviewed you during your on site interview.

If you want to land a job, you have to sell yourself! Make yourself wanted.

Last edited by pinoyplaya; 06-02-2012 at 04:59 AM.. Reason: Additional Info

Old 06-02-2012, 01:22 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyplaya View Post
Well... I am a recent grad and have been offered a job position just a couple weeks after graduation.

My suggestion to students out there that are about to graduate.... look for jobs now. Prepare that resume and cover letter. I didn't start my job search until a couple days after graduation. It took a lot of time and effort but it was successful.

Also, instead of applying to 100 different job positions, look for specific ones first... the one you really have interest in. Because when it comes to the interview, you know exactly what you are looking for, how to respond to questions, and what to say to the employer.

Cover Letter - Specifics specifics specifics! Be sure you have thoroughly researched the company before you apply... read the job description very carefully. Once you've done that, write a cover letter that is specific and pertains to the job position and the company you are applying for. Your cover letter is what gets your resume out of that stack of 1000 applicants.

Resume - Same as cover letter. Make it specific and applicable to the job/position you are applying for.

Don't just apply using the company website. After you've turned in the company website application forms, find the HR's email. This, again, requires company research. If you can get their e-mail... it shows that you've done a lot of research just to get it. Call the company and find out the HR's email.

Once you obtain the e-mail from the company's HR Manager, then e-mail your cover letter and resume directly. This will put it in front of the HR's face! You want to get their attention and with a cover letter that is specific to the job, you're for sure going to land an interview.

The first step of job searching is landing that phone/screening interview.

Most companies will write you an e-mail and ask you when would be a good time for you to be interviewed. Give yourself a day or two and spend these days to practice practice practice. More research about the company. Study study study. Study any related materials that pertains to the job position. Some companies will ask technical questions (just basic one) and make sure you know the answer to them! Practice answering interview questions.... the best way to do it is look for interview questions and sample answers. That way you know exactly how to respond (not what to respond as this is specific to you). Also, be ready to explain any gaps of unemployments, your work experience, other experience related to the job you are applying for.

Once you've done that first interview, prepare for the next step. This could be a second interview or even an on-site interview! Do a lot of research on how to dress professionally (overdress if you have to), lunch/dinner etiquette, more research about the company. Prepare any sample work you've done, prepare your references and have them ready (if they don't ask for it, dont give it... but if they do, be sure you have it ready). Prepare for salary negotiations (this is bound to happen, so make sure you know how to deal with it). Research how much you're worth in the market (don't undervalue yourself... if you do, the company will too and they'll get an impression that you're not hardworking because you undervalued yourself). But if you do negotiate your salary and get the salary you want, be ready to show it when you start working. Otherwise, if you're paid too high and do a poor job, well... you'll be the first one to be laid off.

Edit:

Also, be sure to write thank you letters/notes after each interviews and to each person that interviewed you during your on site interview.

If you want to land a job, you have to sell yourself! Make yourself wanted.

You are not saying anything that someone hasn't heard before. None of what you said is new information.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:51 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I think it's because people don't like to deal with rejection. Our HR department is in India. So, as a hiring manager, you are kind of left on your own after the interviews are set up. Last position I hired for, I sent emails to all the candidates that weren't selected. I seriously doubt if anyone else in my company does that. I just felt like it was the right and decent thing to do. It's not really even encouraged or expected by the management team or onsite HR, which is really too bad.
"Our HR department is in India"....LOL. If that doesn't say it all. Maybe in India it was never customary to inform candidates of their status after a job interview.

Well it used to be customary in the United States to inform candidates with either a phone call, email or even a letter.

No one likes rejection, whether it's the person looking for a job, a guy wanting to ask a girl out, or a contestant trying out for American Idol, but at the end of the day people want to know where they stand.

It takes only a couple of minutes to send out an email telling a job candidate that they didn't get the position.

Sorry, it's BS that an HR person doesn't like to give bad news, do you think doctors enjoy telling patients they're terminal, or police officers enjoy knocking on doors at 1am to tell parents their teenager was killed in a car crash? It's part of their job.

Part of HR's job used to be(at least in America) was to follow up with ALL job candidates that were brought in for an interview. Whether the news was good or bad.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:00 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
"Our HR department is in India"....LOL. If that doesn't say it all. Maybe in India it was never customary to inform candidates of their status after a job interview.

Well it used to be customary in the United States to inform candidates with either a phone call, email or even a letter.

No one likes rejection, whether it's the person looking for a job, a guy wanting to ask a girl out, or a contestant trying out for American Idol, but at the end of the day people want to know where they stand.

It takes only a couple of minutes to send out an email telling a job candidate that they didn't get the position.

Sorry, it's BS that an HR person doesn't like to give bad news, do you think doctors enjoy telling patients they're terminal, or police officers enjoy knocking on doors at 1am to tell parents their teenager was killed in a car crash? It's part of their job.

Part of HR's job used to be(at least in America) was to follow up with ALL job candidates that were brought in for an interview. Whether the news was good or bad.

I never liked the letter because they are always full of BS so not hearing anything is cool with me

Old 06-02-2012, 02:33 PM

491 posts, read 472,472 times
More importantly, why does HR exist?

Its the DMV of the working world.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:41 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,466 times
why HR does not respond? While it could be "I just don't like giving people bad news" my guess is just sheer laziness. Why spend the 3-5mins shooting out an email, when I can just NOT respond at all, the job seeker will get the message.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:45 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
why HR does not respond? While it could be "I just don't like giving people bad news" my guess is just sheer laziness. Why spend the 3-5mins shooting out an email, when I can just NOT respond at all, the job seeker will get the message.
Do they need to respond if you ask this question at the end of the interview?

"What's the next step in the hiring process????

Based on that answer why do you need a letter for confirmation? If they say we will make a decision by Friday and you hear nothing by the following Tuesday then that means you were not selected.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:04 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,466 times
At the end of the interview when they say "We will let you know in 2 weeks", couple of days, or whatever time frame they give you, that is all for show. Something you tell the job seeker because he is here presently, but honestly I really have no intention of getting back to you. Again why take the time to respond, just ingore the job seeker, he will get the message.

As for the confirmation letter I believe that is all automated anyway through an email system, so there is no effort/little effort on the employer to send out a confirmation letter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search