Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 11:47 AM

29 posts, read 58,062 times

Advertisements

I had my 2nd interview request from a another school last Friday afternoon ( OF ALL DAYS!!) To confirm a interview request for this Thurs at 3:00 pm.- This job is 3 hrs. away. They called at 2:08pm, and I waited until 5:00pm Friday, no email confirmation. Today, still no email...so I called the administrative secretary who called me on Friday, and she is not there today. Should I call to reconfirm tomorrow or just show up on Thurs at 3:00? I don't want to be pushy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 02:01 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,052 times
Yes, this happened to me before. A company I had a second round interview with sent me my interview confirmation FIFTEEN MINUTES before the interview began. I didn't even know what the time was and throughout the week before, I kept sending emails and calls trying to reach them to ask what time I was supposed to come in. They never responded until the day of the interview. I called and told them I never received any response and they apologized and said they will reschedule. They told me they had IT problems so they were unable to reach me or even call me. A week later, I received an email telling me "thank you for applying but we decided to not pursue your candidacy".

Old 06-25-2012, 02:59 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
I had an HR person after a phone screen tell me that she will put the schedule together after she talks to the team but gave me a tentative date and time. I never heard from her again and didn't have her email so I never went. I wasn't that interested in the job anyways. Comapanies often go silent at any stage of the hiring process. No news is usually bad news.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:51 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlux80 View Post
I had my 2nd interview request from a another school last Friday afternoon ( OF ALL DAYS!!) To confirm a interview request for this Thurs at 3:00 pm.- This job is 3 hrs. away. They called at 2:08pm, and I waited until 5:00pm Friday, no email confirmation. Today, still no email...so I called the administrative secretary who called me on Friday, and she is not there today. Should I call to reconfirm tomorrow or just show up on Thurs at 3:00? I don't want to be pushy...
I would call again, 3 hours is too far to drive unless you have confirmation that the interview will take place.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:44 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Yeah, 3 hours is absurd drive to make for an interview that may not happen.

As for my own experiences: companies love to vanish somewhere in the interview process and leave you hanging. It's a stupid and immature way of saying "not interested," but that's the way things are done these days. I've had that one happen a few times, though my favorite was the company that called me about a job opening and then skipped out on TWO phone interviews that they scheduled with me?! In both cases, they ignored me for about a week before "trying again" - as if it was my fault... obviously, I didn't get that job!

Old 06-25-2012, 05:10 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlux80 View Post
I don't think you are being pushy with a 3 hour drive. And I think there is nothing wrong with saying "So sorry I am calling again, but as I am looking to move when I get the job and the drive from where I currently am is over 3 hours, I just wanted to verify" 3 hours is an amount of drive time that you should verify an appt. before making the drive

Old 06-25-2012, 06:24 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Totally agree. I had the same thing happen to me. They never confirmed, I never showed up. I wasn't about to make that type of commute not knowing if anyone was going to even be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search