Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 08:03 PM

52 posts, read 90,671 times

Advertisements

So, I had an interview on Friday. I thought it went well, and was told I would hear something tomorrow (Tues) at the latest. Well, considering this is a school position, and they wanted the chosen candidate to start Wed, I would suspect they would have most likely contacted them on Monday so that they could go do their fingerprints and drug test.

Anyway, I did send an e-mail on Friday thanking the interviewer, and sending a document (license for the job) that they asked for. I then asked for them to let me know via e-mail they received it (no response). I understand they're busy with school starting, so they were probably just busy.

I'm just kind of starting to wonder what I'm doing wrong with interviews? I swear I use to do a great job on them, and lately, I just haven't been successful.

Well, I hope was hoping this job would come through, but I'm not too optimistic about it, especially since none of my references have been called, etc (would think they would for a school job definitely).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 03:54 PM

888 posts, read 805,916 times
Same here. I worked at a school years ago no references called thought. Since I started filling that part out a number of years ago none of my references have ever been called.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeru View Post
Same here. I worked at a school years ago no references called thought. Since I started filling that part out a number of years ago none of my references have ever been called.
Why is it so hard to get a job in a school? I don't get it?

Old 08-26-2015, 08:10 AM

367 posts, read 458,120 times
Never expect hiring decisions on a Monday. If I could add a sticky to this page, it would be that concept in big bold red letters.

It's the busiest day of the week for a hiring manager as well as most others that work for the establishment. If Monday was especially busy, then any discussions about a hiring decision are put off until Tuesday; which in turn means contact with the candidate might not be Wednesday or even Thursday if there are many references to call. Understanding that is how you "understand that they're busy."

You're conceding you didn't get this job far too early.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:16 AM

It wasn't hard for me. Unfortunately if you're not the dean or principal you don't making any money so one year was enough for me.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
It wasn't hard for me. Unfortunately if you're not the dean or principal you don't making any money so one year was enough for me.
What did you do there, and what did they pay you an hour? Thanks!

Old 08-26-2015, 08:05 PM

I was an aide for $7 something an hour 5.75 hours a day.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I was an aide for $7 something an hour 5.75 hours a day.
Ouch, that's really low! Here they pay $16-$20. Not great, but decent while I'm in school.

I would have quit too if I were you? How did you like the actual job though (minus the money)? What grade(s) did you work with?

Old 08-26-2015, 09:28 PM

Tough work it was a couple autistic kids

Old 08-28-2015, 03:38 PM

126 posts, read 206,428 times
It's frustrating when you're going from one interview to another with no leads.
Been there and done that. The worst part is when you wait for the call/email. And you're hoping they'll call you back for another interview or tell you that you've landed the job.

We've all been and are currently still going through that.

My advice is try to stay busy and volunteer if you can. The more connections you make with people, the better. Network like crazy.

My friend was unemployed for 2 years after working at a hospital as a medical assistant. It was difficult for her to land jobs since she was older than most people applying and hospitals wanted to hire RN's. She went back to school (at 50) to get her bachelors degree, volunteered at a couple of places and got a job through volunteering.

Keep searching and dont give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search