Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2012, 02:44 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times

Advertisements

So I applied for this job on 6/27, it was posted on 6/26. I applied for a diff position with this company, got a call for a phone interview but I was out of the country when they called...that position was filled when I came back. I figured they liked me so I kept applying at anything appealing which includes this job...which I completely didn't understand since it's a training program but I matched the qualifications to the T. I figured what the hell and applied.

On 7/3, I get a call to setup a phone interview. On 7/5, I do the phone interview...only about 20 minutes. The interviewer did an amazing job explaining everything without me needing to ask too many questions. I asked if there was only 1 open position, he replied with; "There was only one but we filled that and we want a second. 25 people applied and I've narrowed it down to 5-6. 2-3 will get a second interview next week." By the end of the phone interview, he asks me if I'm free next week. He calls me the next day asking me which day works well for an in person interview.

7/11, I have the in person interview with the hiring manager who would be my manager. Interview is only 25 minutes. She also does an amazing job explaining everything and the atmosphere of the place too. She says she wanted to gauge if I'd be a good fit here before wasting everyone elses time in the department. She says I'm the best fit she's seen in a few years. However, she wants me to meet with her manager and a few others but they are out of the office. I get a call from the phone interviewer on Friday to setup the 3rd interview which will be on Tuesday. He tells me the hiring manager was very impressed with me.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY want this job. It will completely change my life which is exactly what I want. I know they want someone ASAP because the training program starts soon. I don't want to get too hopeful thinking I have this job in the bag...I think that's stupid thinking. I'm nervous about this interview even though the first two went very well. I'm not much of the praying type especially with myself but I have prayed to get this job. I feel stupid even writing that.

It's a real high end up, potential 6-figures after a few years of experience. Is it normal to have a 3rd interview for higher end jobs? I've had 2nd interviews before but this 3rd one makes me nervous. The speediness of the process is a great sign, right?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 07:17 AM

309 posts, read 515,568 times
Looks very optimistic! Bet you will get the dream job.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:11 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
I'd say your chances are good. Good luck!

Old 07-15-2012, 08:20 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,572 times
Sounds good to me!

Good luck!

Old 07-18-2012, 01:39 AM

So had the 3rd interview with pretty much the decision maker with business deals within the office. The numbers guy so his opinion holds alot. The first two interviews went very well..this one...not so much. He was very awkward and loved talking especially about himself. It was an hour long interview, I talked 10 minutes tops. He explained the position very well and talked about whats needed to succeed. I explained why I'm a good fit for a few minutes. I asked a few questions as the interview was wrapping up. I know not asking any questions is a big no-no. He actually went over the two main ones I was going to ask. After that, he talked about his background and history a bit which I figured is a great sign.

I wasn't told by the recruiter if I was going to met with anyone else and this guy doesn't do many interviews. The manager I'd report to, the one I met last week (2nd interview) was in a meeting when the interview ended. So it was a very awkward end with him walking me to the door with a very cold/stand offish bye. He told me if I need to use the bathroom, its around the corner...I didn't ask to use the bathroom at all.

I was real tempted to call the manager from last week to see what happens from here but I decided to hold off. The recruiter (1st interview) has called me extremely punctually after each step. I'm hoping he calls me tomorrow to tell me I'm moving forward.

I'm real nervous about it. I've talked to a few friends and they are saying I'm overreacting but after the first two went so well...

Old 07-18-2012, 07:38 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Generally, speaking, the more interviews the better. So, I'd say this is a good sign.

Good luck!

Old 07-19-2012, 01:21 PM

So I haven't heard anything since the interview on Tuesday at 1pm, 48 hours ago. This is the first time since the process started I don't know whats going on. I sent thank you emails this morning. I'm starting to think they aren't going to hire me...I'm in a god awful mood.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:04 AM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
I think phone interviews are more or less used to screen out the applicants who are not qualified, have an obvious defect, etc. 2 in person interviews does not sound like too much.

Seems like you got a good shot at this.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:03 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
From what I've seen, the farther up the company hierarchy the interviewers are, the longer it takes them to get anything decided and done. I don't know if it's because so much of their time is taken up by other meetings or just that they don't see the situation as being as urgent as others might, but it is mightily frustrating for all involved.

My elder kid applied for her dream job in early December. She didn't hear anything at all until about the second week of January, then got called for a phone interview. That one seemed to go well, so she had fingers crossed - only to hear nothing for another three weeks or so. Then she got called to come in for an in-person interview. That one ran nearly three hours, as she wound up talking with not only the hiring manager but most of the team, and she was sure she had the job by the time it was over. She waited a week, then was told that one of the VPs wanted to interview her. Fine, when can we schedule that? Oh, the VP is traveling on business for the next two weeks, we'll call you to set something up. Talk about frustrating...! She did wind up landing the job (close to a month later), and is very happy there, but still talks about that marathon of delay and obfuscation that she went through to get it.

So I wouldn't write it off as yet. I'd say you have an excellent chance, even though it's been close to a week since the third interview. I'm looking forward to congratulating you when you come back to share the good news about the offer, too!

Old 07-21-2012, 11:46 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
^^^this completely agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search