Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 04:08 PM

152 posts, read 521,070 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking for a new job, the last job I had, I was let go of for being late to a meeting, it was my fault.

I have been unemployed for almost 3 years, as I had had a major burnout, I had not filled out one application, but now I'm ready to go back to work.

I have been worried that being "let go" would haunt me for years, so I have been reading lots of forums and discussions, and have heard more than once, that you should call your ex employer and give them a heads up you will be using them for employment verification.

They also say you could politely ask that any negative remarks about you or why you are not there anymore be kept to a minimum, or just stick to dates of start, end, salary, job duties, etc, if you are lucky they may oblige, or maybe not.

Well, I called that past employer, and got a human resource person, they seem to have several as it's a failry big HVAC and Plumbing company with over 150 people.

He asked for the last 4 of my SSN, and asked if I was someone else's name, I said that is not me, he asked when I worked there and tried again.

He said I am not in their records anymore as their payroll system has since been updated.

I asked if they kept employee records, he said "yes, but we do not have time to be digging that stuff out for references or employment verification"

I said wow, that could look like I'm lying about working there, is there anything I can do to prove I was there?

He said I could list my manger I had, and he verified he is still there, if he remembers me he may be able to give a reference.

This application I have asks for the manager's name, phone #, I asked for a direct # and the HR guy said just have them call the main #.

I'm thinking they are so busy, that manager I had would never get back to a potential employer, even if he did remember me, it has been 3 years ago, and he has probably seen a lot of people come and go, as one of my former co-workers said the company had been expanding very fast.

Is losing a ex employee's record due to a payroll update normal?

Last edited by 1999corvette; 08-28-2012 at 04:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 04:22 PM

34,098 posts, read 83,032,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999corvette View Post
...I was let go of for being late to a meeting, it was my fault, and I have moved on.
That incident may have been the final straw but I really doubt this.
Anyway... back to your obsessing.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:17 PM

229 posts, read 424,138 times
I don't know about that. I'm sure it happens often, but I will say, I have had a LOT of jobs (not very good ones), but most of the information on my application was not correct. They may have been jobs I have actually worked at, but that's about it. Phone numbers, references, dates, managers names (can't remember them), etc.... ALL lies. No one EVER checks. I really wouldn't worry about it. Pull a Costanza? I actually would be worried, but what can you do??? Try it. Lie. Say you quit. It seems w/a LOT of jobs, if you pass criminal/drug screen, they will hire you. I actually had a job say they wanted to hire me and they would check references and call me. I figured NO way would I get that job. They called me the next day and obviously did not check anything.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:49 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,077,668 times
You were NOT fired for "being late to a meeting" unless it was a meeting where they had you fly in and spend a few days in a hotel, maybe if you posted a little history we can tell you if it will be a factor in finding another job.

An unexplainable employment gap will hurt you MUCH more than any reason you were fired except theft or assault.

I took about eight months off due to "burnout" too, I was able to explain mine and for the mostpart was telling the truth.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:01 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,077,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txaquarius View Post
I don't know about that. I'm sure it happens often, but I will say, I have had a LOT of jobs (not very good ones), but most of the information on my application was not correct. They may have been jobs I have actually worked at, but that's about it. Phone numbers, references, dates, managers names (can't remember them), etc.... ALL lies. No one EVER checks.

No one ever?? NO, sorry, some do, I know for a fact they do.

A couple of my references told me they got calls, I have been called where a person used me as a reference.

Making up stuff in an application gives them a reason to fire you at a later date, you agree to this by signing the application(read it next time), there are a few threads here that have that scenario.

Fudging dates a bit is not unexpected, more so if you are talking many years in the past, that is where "to the best of your knowledge" comes in.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:25 PM

495 posts, read 685,079 times
I would lie and put down you quit your job to pursue other oppertunities.Then tell them you were self employed for 3 years, doing what? use your imagination.I have been unemployed for 5 months and have just started looking for work.That gap is filled by self employment, tree trimming,brush removal,yard care on contract.If they ask for who I will give them my aunts name and number and other friends and relitaves.And don't worry about getting fired from your last job, how can a new employer find out.If employers say anything negative about a past employer that prevents them from getting a new job they can be held liabal in court.Alot of companies won't even verify employment at all because of this and those that do will only verify name,title and dates employed.Even the question 'would you hire the worker again' is only anwsered by a few stupid employers looking to get sued.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:49 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,398,718 times
Answers like this are the reason that people check references, because there are people who see this as a solution. Now for the specifics as to why this is bad advice....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader44 View Post
I would lie and put down you quit your job to pursue other oppertunities.Then tell them you were self employed for 3 years, doing what? use your imagination.

If they ask for any sort of tax records, you have nothing. Some companies ask this of people who are self employed as they want to know why the person is moving from self employed to workign for someone else again.

I have been unemployed for 5 months and have just started looking for work.That gap is filled by self employment, tree trimming,brush removal,yard care on contract.If they ask for who I will give them my aunts name and number and other friends and relitaves.

Better hope they dont do any sort of verification of employment. Pretty easy to get on Facebook and discover that Sally A is your aunt and not an employer. Yours is private you say? Is Aunt Sallys and everyone she knows?

And don't worry about getting fired from your last job, how can a new employer find out.

The previous employer tells them when asked. Very simple, and honestly it is a "yes/no" question. And employers answer all the time.

If employers say anything negative about a past employer that prevents them from getting a new job they can be held liabal in court.

First, it is libel when it is written and slander when spoken. Also, and I am SO TIRED OF PEOPLE PERPETUATING THIS MYTH...a company can say ANYTHING they want about an employee and they are protected AS LONG AS IT IS TRUE. If the company says OP was fired, OP CAN NOT SUE (well, he could sue but all that he would get is a bill from a lawyer and a loss in court)AS THEY WERE TELLING THE TRUTH. And, NEGATIVE info CAN be given out. Only in Connecticut does it SORT OF require authorization...although, if a state requires authorization to give out a reference, and you refuse that authorization, doesnt that tell the company all they need to know?

Alot of companies won't even verify employment at all because of this

Not true. Yes some companies dont want to get sued...but then all you have to do is talk to the manager and say Come on talk to me your refusal is keeping this person from getting hired and 9 of 10 times, they give the reference.

and those that do will only verify name,title and dates employed.

Still wrong. See numerous reasons above as to why.

Even the question 'would you hire the worker again' is only anwsered by a few stupid employers looking to get sued.

Again, as that is an opinion based on FACT there is no lawsuit. Truth is an absolute defense to ANY slander, libel and defamation claim.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:21 PM

I hardly have anyone on facebook and my aunt dosen't even own a computer.Tax returns?? Mabey for your high level jobs but most abc jobs will never require this.I think we are in two differant worlds here Bunny.The vast majority of empoyment verification done by HRs in this country is done by only asking the big tree questions- name,title and dates employed.The reason this is done now is that ex bosses that didn't like the ex employee said stuff they shouldn't have and got sued.So now its HR presonel that do verification and not supervisors and bosses.What you are talking about is a 'profesional reference'.And why anybody would give a bad profesional referance is beyond me.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:32 PM

34,098 posts, read 83,032,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader44 View Post
The vast majority of empoyment verification done by HRs in this country is done by only asking the big three questions- name, title and dates employed --and credit checks--

The reason this is done now is that ex bosses that didn't like the ex employee said stuff they shouldn't have and got sued. So now its HR presonel that do verification and not supervisors and bosses.
No, they really don't care what your score is (within limits).
But they do need an objective source to confirm the basic data you provide.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:38 PM

And the op sounds like he is not applying for some high level job that TRY to do intensive background info on you.Yes there are jobs out there that will try to shoot the sh.t with everyone of your past employers to catch you in a lie and request your tax info and facebook password but these jobs are a minority of the jobs out there.Companies simply don't have the time and money to vet every employee like their running for the president of the USA.It makes sence to do that if the position is a ceo or highly paid or dealing with sensitive info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search