Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2012, 05:02 PM

5 posts, read 10,346 times

Advertisements

If you've never gone through the process, please do not reply. I'm not looking for your theory.

Thanks,
Phil Li
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 05:06 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Applied directly to the companies' websites.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:12 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Li View Post
If you've never gone through the process, please do not reply. I'm not looking for your theory.

Thanks,
Phil Li
Are you speaking in terms of level of difficulty? Or as it relates having a out of state address and getting selected for a position? Especially since many employers like to go with a local candidate.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:15 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
I was laid off at one point and applied for jobs in several other states. I applied on USA jobs and a few other job sites that include various states. I did get a job offer that I was considering for Maui...but my Mom who lived in my home state was hospitalized in very serious condition. The company couldn't hold off, they were having a large training. So, of course I had to let them know I couldn't take the job after all.
One thing, places like Hawaii are very astute about their job searches, they don't want to hire someone that just wants a ticket to paradise...So be sure you really are committed to any job.
It can be done. Apply online, phone interviews are not unheard of...there is even skype now. Go for it...but research the locations throughly..then apply.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:25 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
The company ultimately offered me a remote position. This happened to me twice. I'm on the East Coast, one company is in Colorado (still work for them) and the other was in Arizona. I had specific certifications and experience that the companies were looking for. I've never met my boss or coworkers and I was hired over the phone. My interviews were also over the phone. Both companies did extensive background checks. The crazy thing is that I'm still pretty close to an ex-boss who is now in Vegas--one of my best professional contacts. Go figure. Anyway, that's how my out of state job search worked out.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:18 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,785,685 times
Applied to company websites. Companies paid my travel when they wanted face to face interviews.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:33 PM

47 posts, read 153,871 times
Company websites, Indeed.com, staffing groups such as Aureus. Usually it was a phone interview first, though you have to stay flexible for driving to an interview. The company usually reimburses interview costs.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:03 PM

207 posts, read 445,494 times
We were looking for any teaching position for my husband in NC, SC, GA or Florida. Instead of just applying for positions online, we sent his cover letter and resume to TONS of different school districts. It was exhausting but that's how he found his job in NC. When I looked for my position as a physical therapist, I always send my resume to the companies I am most interested in even if they don't advertise. Sometimes they have been thinking about adding someone but haven't gotten around to advertising it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search