Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 02:31 PM

102 posts, read 311,038 times

Advertisements

So I guess I'm pretty new to this, but it's surprising seeing people say they submit 10+ applications per day.

It goes without saying that these folks are NOT tailoring their resumes/cover letters to the job descriptions and are just resume bombing. No wonder people have hundreds of applications submitted with with only 1 or 2 call backs.

I think I'm lucky if I find TWO jobs per day that actually (REALLY, realistically) fit my qualifications - and that's searching in 2, sometimes 3, different STATES! And remember, that's on a good day.

What is your average of jobs applied for per day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 02:35 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
If you are unemployed, how can you not have enough time to submit ten applications a day and tailor the resume for the job in question? Some people apply to just about every job that is advertised because they need a job--any job.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
If you are unemployed, how can you not have enough time to submit ten applications a day and tailor the resume for the job in question? Some people apply to just about every job that is advertised because they need a job--any job.
Applying to EVERY job is a waste of time and energy. If the job market is tight and employers are flooded with apps, then why on earth would they choose someone with none of the skills required for the job? Resume-bombing does nothing for us job hunters, because it just makes hiring managers/HR personnel that much LESS interested when scouring hundreds of (unqualified resumes). That dilutes it for everyone else.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:08 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
It is easy.

A resume does not need hardly any tailoring if applying the same field, at least none that require any significant effort. Plus, after a while, those variations are saved, so it is just a matter of selecting the correct one to send.

I do not see how someone could not submit ten resumes, how long do you think it takes? An unemployed person has all day, a part timer has plenty of time, and even a full time employee still has hours and hours of free time to submit.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:12 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhHey! View Post
Applying to EVERY job is a waste of time and energy. If the job market is tight and employers are flooded with apps, then why on earth would they choose someone with none of the skills required for the job? Resume-bombing does nothing for us job hunters, because it just makes hiring managers/HR personnel that much LESS interested when scouring hundreds of (unqualified resumes). That dilutes it for everyone else.
Many jobs require generic skills, so people in search of anything will submit their resumes to them. I have seen some very basic skill requirements out there, like a zone manager at a retail store, admin assistant at my own company, and even many sales positions. Anyone with work experience and/or a degree meet the basic requirements of these jobs.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Many jobs require generic skills, so people in search of anything will submit their resumes to them. I have seen some very basic skill requirements out there, like a zone manager at a retail store, admin assistant at my own company, and even many sales positions. Anyone with work experience and/or a degree meet the basic requirements of these jobs.
Interesting. Well, I'm only 2 years out of college so most of the jobs I see I see am not qualified for/don't meet the posting's "years worked requirements".

I wonder what other entry-level job-hunters think about this. Do you see dozens of jobs that you meet the qualifications for EVERY day?

Old 11-15-2012, 10:30 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,937 times
If all you're applying for are Administrative kinds of jobs for example, they all want the same things. I mean, it' snot like I'm applying to a petroleum engineer gear in one application and a Chinese to Portuguese translator job in the next.

As was said before, most people will apply to jobs in the same category. I don't understand how it can take hours to slightly modify a 1 page document. Unless you're just arbitrarily rephrasing things, your name, experience, education, all of these are the same, how much can you possibly change a resume up?

Old 11-15-2012, 10:55 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
I'd guess it takes me about 2 hours for a typical response. I usually don't change up the resume much, but I do very specific cover letters tailored to the position (senior management) and that only after I've looked around the website, identified the execs I want to cc and checked on salary info and any relevant info (e.g. Glassdoor) on that company's hiring practices.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:11 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
10 seems doable. How long does it take you to get out a resume? In a typical 12 hour day I could probably push out 10. There's 3.8 million square miles of companies in just the United States. There has to be enough jobs to keep me occupied for months. And that doesn't even mention the jobs in Europe, Asia, and other areas of the world.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:39 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhHey! View Post
So I guess I'm pretty new to this, but it's surprising seeing people say they submit 10+ applications per day.

It goes without saying that these folks are NOT tailoring their resumes/cover letters to the job descriptions and are just resume bombing. No wonder people have hundreds of applications submitted with with only 1 or 2 call backs.

I think I'm lucky if I find TWO jobs per day that actually (REALLY, realistically) fit my qualifications - and that's searching in 2, sometimes 3, different STATES! And remember, that's on a good day.

What is your average of jobs applied for per day?
If you are only doing 2 a day it's not working is it ? ? ?

If you can find 2 then you could find 2 more the
same day instead of tomorrow ! ! !

Work at it harder and longer everyday ! ! !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search