Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 06:05 PM

107 posts, read 382,094 times

Advertisements

One of my current past times is doing just that. The most "amazing" feeling is when you realize a job that did not even offer you an interview was filled by someone with a degree from the same school you went to but worse gpa (cumulative and in the major), no work experience or relevant activities certifications.

I saw a profile of a person who works as a district manager for Aldi after working for NFL Carolina Panthers as a cheerleader. Amazingly misguided work history but she got an MBA from some mediocre school and she is "executive material" now.

I applied to be an ETF Accountant @ BNY Mellon 4 times and never went anywhere but other people have no such issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 06:15 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,487,863 times
All the time, esp the jobs I really want. That's how I figured out I can't even tell my former co workers were I apply because two of them beat me for the same job!

I also use linkedin to gauge my likely chances. I am mid 40's if I see all my potential colleagues are in their 20's I don't bother since my exp shows they want to pay low, get corp drones that don't ask any questions.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
All the time, esp the jobs I really want. That's how I figured out I can't even tell my former co workers were I apply because two of them beat me for the same job!

I also use linkedin to gauge my likely chances. I am mid 40's if I see all my potential colleagues are in their 20's I don't bother since my exp shows they want to pay low, get corp drones that don't ask any questions.
I am glad I am not the only one. One of the hardest things in life is to see people who are in no way "better" get jobs I don't.

In high school I knew some people who went on to graduate from Harvard/Yale/Princeton/Stanford MIT and Caltech and they have splendid careers and they earned those. But when I see people with worse grades and same major from the same school I went to get jobs while I cant even get an interview I want to punch the wall.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:02 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,397,135 times
What's the point of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedRage View Post
One of my current past times is doing just that. The most "amazing" feeling is when you realize a job that did not even offer you an interview was filled by someone with a degree from the same school you went to but worse gpa (cumulative and in the major), no work experience or relevant activities certifications.

Maybe they have a better formatted resume, or took the time to put together a good cover letter?

I saw a profile of a person who works as a district manager for Aldi after working for NFL Carolina Panthers as a cheerleader. Amazingly misguided work history but she got an MBA from some mediocre school and she is "executive material" now.

Wow, judge much? What does it matter to you her career path?

I applied to be an ETF Accountant @ BNY Mellon 4 times and never went anywhere but other people have no such issue.

Well, cheerleaders are being hired and you are being passed over. Could it be something you are doing?

Old 03-08-2013, 07:09 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Skills tend to transcend across industries. As a cheerleader, she has leadership skills that she can utilize in management.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
What's the point of this?
You ask "what is the point of this" and proceed to reply by inserting sentences into my post. If there is no point you should not reply. Ex cheerleaders could be hired for purely "arbitrary reasons" I hope you realize that.

Btw my resume was not done by me. I had it professionally edited.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Skills tend to transcend across industries. As a cheerleader, she has leadership skills that she can utilize in management.
I hope you were being sarcastic.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:19 PM

874 posts, read 1,660,269 times
I never thought of checking LinkedIn. Honestly, I think it would make me feel worse and that would outweigh the knowledge that I might gain.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:24 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,487,863 times
I like to do it because I like to see how I stack up. Do they dress better, more attractive, have more exp. than me. I am basically try to reverse engineer what they did to be successful that I haven't done or lacking in exp.

In my opinion, every smart person studies the competition to see what makes them tick.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:25 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:

I did that for a job I didn't want and saw that one of my connections took the position instead. I don't think I can do that for a job I wanted and didn't get
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search