Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 05:35 AM

334 posts, read 451,060 times

Advertisements

I would have to agree with Never Quit on ONE point - Why do so many have a problem with a basic math test? EVERY job where I have gone past the basic application stage required a test which included math, and sometimes basic logic and mechanical aptitude.

One job required a color perception test although it was 100% related to the job.

Calculators will not help if you don't know HOW to do the equation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 08:55 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
You know what's "stupid"? Not realizing that the ability to answer simple math or logic questions will separate you from the herd and make it easier to find a job if you have 1/4 of a brain.

Or maybe that's not what is "stupid" if you keep having problems with these...
It was STUPID.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I never played "games" but I had two requests. First was to include a cover letter. Those resumes that didn't have a cover letter (which does not consist of a single sentence that says "Here is my resume in response to your ad.") were scrapped. Second was to attach the resume as a Word .doc or .pdf. Those who attached some weird format weren't even reviewed.

I don't think that either of those is unreasonable, but they sure helped me sort through a few hundred responses and toss 80% of them quickly.
All of the above is completely NORMAL.

The OP's "test" was STOOOOPPPIIIIDDDDDD.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
That is math a 12 year old can do. I can't believe so many people got it wrong. Such a shame. That is nothing compared to an interview question like "There are 100 people in separate rooms. They can talk as much as they want until they begin. Once they begin, they are called one at a time, in no particular order, into another room. In this room there is only a light switch that turns on and off a lightbulb. No one can see the lightbulb unless they are in the room, and the only thing you can do in the room is check the lightbulb, turn it on, or turn it off. How do the people know when all 100 have been called? You can be called more than once before everyone else has gone once." (I randomly searched for it online)
Or anything LSAT/GMAT esque
What type of job was this for?

I can honestly say that I would have not answered this question and if the next one after was just as stupid, then I would have stopped taking the test, got myself together and handed everything to the receptionist telling her (or him), I don't believe I'm the right "fit" for this job and left.

I don't have time for nonsense.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:04 AM

456 posts, read 1,170,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
What type of job was this for?

I can honestly say that I would have not answered this question and if the next one after was just as stupid, then I would have stopped taking the test, got myself together and handed everything to the receptionist telling her (or him), I don't believe I'm the right "fit" for this job and left.

I don't have time for nonsense.
It's a verbal question that you're expected to answer immediately.

There is nothing "stupid" about it. When you're trying to get a competitive job in a prestigious industry, they are going to try to weed out the people who can't think fast/aren't smart enough. I've heard some terrifying questions, but that's just how it is. Also, they want to listen to your thought process and see how you think under pressure.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
It's a verbal question that you're expected to answer immediately.

There is nothing "stupid" about it. When you're trying to get a competitive job in a prestigious industry, they are going to try to weed out the people who can't think fast/aren't smart enough. I've heard some terrifying questions, but that's just how it is. Also, they want to listen to your thought process and see how you think under pressure.
It is stupid. It's amazing how if you repeat something often enough you begin to believe it to be true as well.

What the hell does a lightbulb have to do with 100 people in a damn room?

Or is thinking like this how the "prestigious" companies weed out the "unprestigious" people?

Old 03-17-2013, 10:54 AM

334 posts, read 451,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
It is stupid. It's amazing how if you repeat something often enough you begin to believe it to be true as well.

What the hell does a lightbulb have to do with 100 people in a damn room?

Or is thinking like this how the "prestigious" companies weed out the "unprestigious" people?

It is a logic question, although I have never seen that one, they are common from MY experience.

Okay here is an easy one;

You are getting ready to take a bath, the tub is almost full and when you go to turn off the water the knob breaks off causing the water to turn on full blast .... What do you do next?
*Logic question, not necessarily on any job application.

I wonder how many of the same people that have problems with basic math questions when applying for a job ALSO have a problem finding a job themselves ...

Old 03-17-2013, 11:10 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperCheck View Post
It is a logic question, although I have never seen that one, they are common from MY experience.

Okay here is an easy one;

You are getting ready to take a bath, the tub is almost full and when you go to turn off the water the knob breaks off causing the water to turn on full blast .... What do you do next?
*Logic question, not necessarily on any job application.

I wonder how many of the same people that have problems with basic math questions when applying for a job ALSO have a problem finding a job themselves ...
The sad thing is that over half the applicants probably wouldn't know how to answer that question.

I'll bet you'd get:

Call 9-1-1
Call a plumber
Call my husband/brother/father/landlord
Get a mop
I'm not sure
Can you repeat the question?

Old 03-17-2013, 11:16 AM

326 posts, read 478,540 times
For the bath question, I would unplug the cap on the drain to bring the water level down. Then I would grab pliers and turn what's left from the broken knob to turn off the tub.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi000 View Post
For the bath question, I would unplug the cap on the drain to bring the water level down. Then I would grab pliers and turn what's left from the broken knob to turn off the tub.
Yeah, but WTF does this have to do with me answering phones, scheduling appointments, meetings, filing and making travel arrangements??

Will this help me when I'm ordering supplies and instead of ordering the No. 2 pencil (which is out of stock), I'd have to be "quick on my feet" and choose the No. 4 instead???

Last edited by marilyn220; 03-17-2013 at 12:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search