Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2013, 08:35 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Yes I have. But for some reason they don't hear back from the employers. And yes I'm open to any job. I just want a chance.

And I'll try Labor Ready.

I do have an interview with Indeed- a phone interview that is. Hoping all goes well.
Good luck deposite. Maybe if we all hang on long enough, we'll make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 09:08 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
You can go to your local Labor Ready and get a temporary minimum wage job the day you show up.

That would be correct

Old 05-08-2013, 08:34 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
That would be correct
I just looked up the closest Labor Ready place in New York. I'm going there this week.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Yes I have. But for some reason they don't hear back from the employers. And yes I'm open to any job. I just want a chance.

And I'll try Labor Ready.

I do have an interview with Indeed- a phone interview that is. Hoping all goes well.
I hope you find a job.

I was looking at labor ready by me and I am finding the nearest (two options) are 40 minutes away from me in the least.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:53 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
I just looked up the closest Labor Ready place in New York. I'm going there this week.

Yeah when you show up at 6am as soon as they open just make sure you express that you are ready to work and have your work gloves, work boots, photo id, and SSN card.

You may get lucky like me and get a permanent temp assignment and will only have to go into the temp agency once a week to get a timesheet instead of every day.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:38 AM

96 posts, read 191,868 times
Default Bypass HR

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
then there is the hiring software that you have to do get your application to HR in the first place.. the software is so hard to get thru, HR can't even get through it
1. apply online so your application / resume is loaded into the employer's system.

2. figure out the names / emails of the manager(s) and director(s). Google stalk them and figure out who you're dealing with.

3. email them a copy of your resume directly.

4. wait a few days, then casually follow up via phone call.

5. if your skills are relevant, the manager / director will tell HR to bring you in. HR won't like that you did this. But in most companies, nobody respects HR. And it's often managers / directors who bring people in for interviews anyway.

Good luck!

Old 05-12-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
UC is not there for you to find the right opportunity. Its there as a LAST resort for you to survive while finding another job, any job. YOUR job, as an American, is to get OFF of UC as quickly as possible and not be a drain on the coffers. YOU spent time taking money out of the hands of others.

Finding the right opportunity is something you do while living with mommy and daddy.

Yes you are a fraud, you have stolen money. You lack integrity, and no amount of your ends justifying your means will change that. You are no better then someone who robbed a bank.
It's too bad we can't see what your true financial picture is aside from what you claim in these forums.

Because when it comes to the issue of "robbing the taxpayers" by way of government benefits, I often find that people who PREACH as brashly as you and Packer43064 have been on layers of government assistance throughout your lives.

* you'll often have multiple streams of income coming in from the govt by way of public sector benefits of all kinds.
* you claim to despise "those horrible renters," but you've benefited from government subsidized home mortgages (which after the housing bailouts, have been subsidized on par with Section 8), while renters are often paying much higher commercial rate property taxes fixed into their rent.

And in the spirit of Ayn Rand, America's ULTIMATE Government Leech, as well as America's TRUE Welfare Queen... (and this is one thing that "my tax dollars!" screaming Republicans are especially skilled with doing)
* you or relatives of yours have hidden assets of elderly family members so they qualify for Medicaid supported nursing care.
* hiding assets to put grandma / grandpa / etc on medicaid supported nursing care allows you to enjoy a much larger inheritance when they pass on. ($2K-$6K/mo nursing care can really eat up an estate)

I've lived in some very Republican-heavy areas of the US, and the story is always the same.

Those who preach the most, leech the most.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
So you would "update your skills" pretty much on the working American's dime? Great....that awesome. People like you make me sick. Update your own skills in your own time on your own dime. I don't care if your working 60 hours a week I shouldn't have to provide for someone who is "updating their skills" on my dollars.
But if he updates his skills, which enables him to earn more, or even just get a job at his prior, higher wages (higher than go-nowhere low wage jobs)... He'll end up paying higher taxes into the system.

Shouldn't this be the goal ???

I always tell the people who scream "my tax dollars!" that if they really dislike people who supposedly leech off the system... Help them increase and update their skills, and force them into the middle class so they're paying the taxes that run the country.

( I also tell the "my tax dollars!" screaming types to take a good look at the many ways their own family leeches off the system - as mentioned in my prior post )

Conservatives gripe about Pell Grants as some huge freebie. But Pell Grants are a great ROI when you consider that college graduates earn far more than non college graduates, enabling them to pay back the Pell Grants by way of taxes ten times over.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attigin2012 View Post
I have been working for 25 years straight with no break except for vacation and a baby. Well I was laid off last year. I took a few months off and started with an aggressive job search in January. I have been told by one recruiter several times, "it's unfortunate you haven't found anything" and same recruiter asked me directly today, "so you have been looking since August and haven't found anything". I said I applied with you in January, not been since August. And you have been in contact with me since January. Why is it hard to believe that in this day and age, it will take 6, 8,10 months to find a job. With multiple interviews, prescreening tests and not to mention, all of the competition out there that it is more and more difficult to find a job. Then same recruiter made me feel bad by asking , "so you took a break for 4 months". It is getting very difficult for me to keep positive when I am being treated so poorly for something I had no control over. Had my company not reorganized, I would have still been there. Obviously some of these people have never experienced unemployment, I say walk a mile in my shoes before you judge.
I find that most HR people and/or Recruiters are a half notch above Hooters waitresses.

No wait. I have too much respect for Hooters waitresses. They work much harder, and they get treated far worse than people forced to suffer the abusive, caustic, immature, and flat out rude behavior of HR / recruiter people.

But you get the message here. Many HR types could never land 1/100th of the jobs they screen people for. They're probably low on the totem pole, being treated poorly by higher-ups, and they turn around and take it out on job applicants. Quite a few recruiters are self-employed aka "HR Wash-ups" who realized they could make $$$ being far lazier than anyone who's unemployed could possibly be.

The one who said "so you took a break for 4 mos?" They probably take month long vacations and never worked one job in HS or College.

So they're probably just a%$%$. I find that the true a%$%$ get a rise out of paraphrasing other people's story into something that could be considered derogatory. Sometimes, they know they're not going to hire you / set you up with interviews you just looking at you (because they're just shallow), so they decide they're going to be rude to you in hopes you never resurface. Or maybe the just get off on being rude to people.

But then also consider they "might" just be testing you to see how you counter ("will this candidate flip out while working for us?"). So consider this first before you get offended. Definitely practice answering the most arbitrary, opinionated comments you could imagine them saying.

Don't dwell on the rude things people do or say to you. You might not get to see their outcome, but KARMA always bites back really, really hard. And if you do hear about their demise? Be sure to put them on your Christmas card list.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:59 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccasionalCommentary2020 View Post
But if he updates his skills, which enables him to earn more, or even just get a job at his prior, higher wages (higher than go-nowhere low wage jobs)... He'll end up paying higher taxes into the system.

Shouldn't this be the goal ???

I always tell the people who scream "my tax dollars!" that if they really dislike people who supposedly leech off the system... Help them increase and update their skills, and force them into the middle class so they're paying the taxes that run the country.

( I also tell the "my tax dollars!" screaming types to take a good look at the many ways their own family leeches off the system - as mentioned in my prior post )

Conservatives gripe about Pell Grants as some huge freebie. But Pell Grants are a great ROI when you consider that college graduates earn far more than non college graduates, enabling them to pay back the Pell Grants by way of taxes ten times over.
I don't get anything from the government...good job ASSuming. I'm also not a republican. Another ASSuming comment. Keep on ASSuming and letting people swindle this great country until we are crippled in a wheel chair.

Can I say that noone in my entire huge family generations back has never taken any type of government benefit....nope. They probably have. I have a problem with people who cheat the system, but hey if you want to be a cheater too go ahead. Nothing will be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccasionalCommentary2020 View Post
It's too bad we can't see what your true financial picture is aside from what you claim in these forums.

Because when it comes to the issue of "robbing the taxpayers" by way of government benefits, I often find that people who PREACH as brashly as you and Packer43064 have been on layers of government assistance throughout your lives.

* you'll often have multiple streams of income coming in from the govt by way of public sector benefits of all kinds.
* you claim to despise "those horrible renters," but you've benefited from government subsidized home mortgages (which after the housing bailouts, have been subsidized on par with Section 8), while renters are often paying much higher commercial rate property taxes fixed into their rent.

And in the spirit of Ayn Rand, America's ULTIMATE Government Leech, as well as America's TRUE Welfare Queen... (and this is one thing that "my tax dollars!" screaming Republicans are especially skilled with doing)
* you or relatives of yours have hidden assets of elderly family members so they qualify for Medicaid supported nursing care.
* hiding assets to put grandma / grandpa / etc on medicaid supported nursing care allows you to enjoy a much larger inheritance when they pass on. ($2K-$6K/mo nursing care can really eat up an estate)

I've lived in some very Republican-heavy areas of the US, and the story is always the same.

Those who preach the most, leech the most.
Update your own skills on your OWN dime. I'm not paying anything for you to do nothing besides gets a job. Not sitting around for 6 months supposedly "updating a resume".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search