Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 09:54 AM

227 posts, read 745,657 times

Advertisements

I first had my interview with this company last Tuesday with a recruiter from corporate. This past Monday I had an interview with an HR manager from corporate, and a District manager from Ohio it was a conference call. I was told by both The HR manager and DM they would get back with my recruiter about the next steps. It’s been since Monday and I have not heard back from the recruiter. I already sent a note thanking them for the interview, what’s taking so long for the recruiter to contact me?

The HR Manager oversees the college program, and the District Manager I'll be working in her stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 10:21 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,012,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh2k19 View Post
I first had my interview with this company last Tuesday with a recruiter from corporate. This past Monday I had an interview with an HR manager from corporate, and a District manager from Ohio it was a conference call. I was told by both The HR manager and DM they would get back with my recruiter about the next steps. It’s been since Monday and I have not heard back from the recruiter. I already sent a note thanking them for the interview, what’s taking so long for the recruiter to contact me?

The HR Manager oversees the college program, and the District Manager I'll be working in her stores.
It's very typical that the hiring process can take longer than expected. I get calls from my candidates all the time. Why is it taking so long? Have you heard back? What are the next steps? Well, the main reason the recruiter hasn't gotten back to you, is because he/she hasn't received any feedback from the hiring manager/DM. Remember, they are very busy dealing with their day to day job duties. They also need to coordinate the best day/time to discuss the candidates that they have interviewed. If HR is at Corporate, and the DM is in another state, it takes longer to coordinate this.

If I were you, I would reach out to the recruiter and ask if he/she has received any feedback on the next steps. If not, your call is a reminder to prompt the recruiter to reach out to the DM and or HR Manager to see where they are in the process. I have been known to email the hiring managers to see what is taking so long. IF they decided they are not interested in you, they should have ALREADY let the recruiter know. It is the recruiter's job to let candidates know that their client is not interested.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:05 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
what the poster above me said, except that i would NOT reach out to the recruiter at this time. 3 days is not a long time. i'd give it at least til the end of next week before i'd check in. checking in after 3 days is unreasonable and could make a bad impression.

they may have more interviews to do, they may be mulling things over or getting approvals for their decision, they almost definitely have other things to do at work besides make this hiring decision. just be patient. your recruiter will contact you when the hiring manager contacts them.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:38 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
what the poster above me said, except that i would NOT reach out to the recruiter at this time. 3 days is not a long time. i'd give it at least til the end of next week before i'd check in. checking in after 3 days is unreasonable and could make a bad impression.

they may have more interviews to do, they may be mulling things over or getting approvals for their decision, they almost definitely have other things to do at work besides make this hiring decision. just be patient. your recruiter will contact you when the hiring manager contacts them.
I would wait as well. You already did a thank you note, great move.
I would wait until Monday to follow up.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:04 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Congrats on the interview.

Generally, it takes a week between contacts. The district manager has many other job tasks than interviewing and hiring. In any work environment, there can be several fires or emergencies to put out throughout the week. His priority to address any issues brought up by his superiors, before he addresses the concerns of an interviewee. Everybody is accountable to somebody else.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:32 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
I usually wait two weeks before asking for an update. This is also part of the reason why when asked if I have any questions, I ask how long it will take to hear anything back. If they say "1-2 weeks" I give them more like 3-4. RARELY has a job ever come through immediately. I think once in my life did I interview and get called back TWO hours later!

Old 06-15-2013, 10:59 AM

23,539 posts, read 24,029,400 times
A lot of times, they "go silent" and that's not a good sign. I hope they did not, but a lot of companies don't want to deliver bad news to the candidates. They may tell you that "they will get back to you", but they won't. Sad sign of the times.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:07 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,012,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post

It is ok to check with the RECRUITER after three days. I get calls like that all the time. It doesn't give a bad impression for me at all. It shows me that they are eager and being responsive.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:50 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
I do not deal with 3rd party recruiters, so please ignore my opinion if that is all that you care about. If you are dealing with the company's HR people or the hiring manager, give it at least a week. Or even longer. I have never even once seen a situation where a follow up call helped the candidate. I have seen several instances where a marginal candidate knocked themselves out of the running by being too aggressive.

The company knows that they need to hire. They want to do this to reduce their own workloads. They will do it as quickly as they can while balancing a number of other factors. Your follow up after only 3 days is not welcome.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:57 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
A lot of times, they "go silent" and that's not a good sign. I hope they did not, but a lot of companies don't want to deliver bad news to the candidates. They may tell you that "they will get back to you", but they won't. Sad sign of the times.
As a job searcher I hate that. I either do not hear back from an employer when they say they will "get back to me" or they only do when they clear out the queue and say "we have chosen to go with another candidate" MONTHS later. No duh you went with other candidates, it took you months to get back to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search