Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 10:28 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

Background: I'm currently working at a large IT help desk in a remote area of VA making $35k as a contractor with no provided benefits, a hundred mile commute, and a possibility to go permanent in five months, but am currently onboarding as a direct hire for a company in my town (twenty mile commute), dropping state income tax, and making ~$27k. Currently living with parents and single.

I worked for the current employer at this site right out of college as an employee but on a different program. Economics major - class of 2010. I moved to Iowa last year and worked at a large financial services firm in a help desk role making $41k initially and found it difficult to make ends meet with no roommates. high taxes, and some outstanding debt from back home. The job itself was crappy, but I thought it might open doors in the financial services industry since I was in a better location. After about a year there with no offers outside of IT and missing family and friends, I packed my bags and went back to Tennessee.

I applied for an "investment technician" position in the pensions department at the prior employer in Iowa, assuming the position would pay be approximately $50k due to knowledge of internal payscales (which would be enough) and received an offer last week for just $40k. The job was mostly administrative and back office support for the department. While the job would have put me on a better trajectory career wise, this was less than I made originally and I struggled on what I made then. My financial position is also worse now than before after being laid off on 7/1 for three weeks and missing several paychecks. Net of state taxes, this job in IA pays only slightly more than what I make now. However, the benefits were incredible - four weeks vacation, fifty cents on the dollar match on 401k up to 8%, free lunches in cafeteria, free downtown parking, free bus pass, etc. Also, the company hired me sight unseen from a distant state originally, I left, and then rehired me in something closer to my field. I was very blessed to have these opportunities and feel like I personally let them down. I was expecting more money wise and just couldn't justify moving for no net gain after moving expenses when I currently have very little resources to work with as is. Had I never been laid off, I would have had the funds to move. As it stands, I would have had to take out a personal loan to cover moving expenses and initial startup costs, and barely making enough to break even monthly.

I feel awful about turning them down and shouldn't have even applied - this is an excellent company with a great corporate culture, something I've never experienced before or since. I'm taking this is as a bridge burned, but am very conflicted about what I did. I don't really have the resources to move, but feel very fortunate to have had these opportunities. After moving back home, I missed a lot of things about Iowa and wanted to go back, but also missed family while there and am looking to clean up my debt this winter and put myself on the best financial footing I can to move by next spring to summer, preferably to South Carolina. I am fortunate in that I have a good resume and interview skills and have received at least six offers since last Christmas, so I am not worried about finding work, just feeling crummy at this situation.

Have you ever turned down an offer, regretted it, and wondered what could have been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 09:07 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
Yes, and I know this sounds cliche, but I feel God works in mysterious way TBH. I feel like things work out or don't work out because something better is on the horizon.

Just curious, but did you even ask for a different/higher salary and explain that for a move you couldn't afford 40k?

Old 08-28-2013, 09:40 PM

300 posts, read 1,136,516 times
I've regretted rejected a few job offers. What's done is done; you've made your decision for a reason so stick with it.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:55 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Yes, and I know this sounds cliche, but I feel God works in mysterious way TBH. I feel like things work out or don't work out because something better is on the horizon.

Just curious, but did you even ask for a different/higher salary and explain that for a move you couldn't afford 40k?
Yes, I asked them to match the previous $45,100 that I left at, but this was a no go. Income tax in IA on this income bracket is around 8%, which is pretty severe on what is still a middling salary. Add in other state tax differences and the difference in taxes is 10% of salary vs. the same salary where I live in TN, even though other factors in the cost of living are virtually equal. They were also wanting me to start on 9/9 when the offer was made on 8/23. This would have given me two weeks plus a weekend to turn in a notice here and relocate 900 miles away, which just isn't really feasible. They were only flexible on the start date by one week.

I have about $6500 in debt left to clean up, some of which was credit card debt run up in IA. I hope to have this cleaned up by year's end, which will free up a couple hundred dollars a month before my next move. I have seen salaries in what I work in IT in Nashville for as much as I made in Des Moines before tax differences are taken into account.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:21 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
I agree. Nashville would be a better choice for the same reasons. I would work on my resume until then.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:09 AM

163 posts, read 502,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post

Have you ever turned down an offer, regretted it, and wondered what could have been?
Not in many, many years. I learned a long time ago that regret is unproductive.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:45 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,885 times
If you're class of 2010 you're still young (and have a lot to learn about the work world and career paths, companies etc.)

No need to feel bad. The company didn't match your needs. Wouldn't even match your salary. Sure it had some positives I guess, but it doens't sound like it was a good fit, that really would have worked for you -- and what you wanted.

Keep looking, that's all. People DO make lateral career moves, or new jobs that don't match their current salary. BUT -- each situation is different. The job for you is out there you just have to find it!

You don't have to justify your decision to anyone (but you). If a job or situation doesn't work for you -- it doesn't.

As a worker most times, you'll have to look out for you. You're employer won't. My co-workers and I always say -- we're here as long as this works for me. The second it doesn't work for me anymore -- I start looking to leave." Period. Now a "job," "career," or 'company" can work for a person for different reasons:
-- position, company or managers you're not crazy about -- but high salary -- or short commute -- or close to family
OR -- LOW salary but short commute -- or close to family..or good position that puts IN POSITION for the career or jobs you REALLY want.

in my mid 20's I took a pay cut and left a secure, union covered job with a major employer to get into a field I wanted and 30 years later don't regret it. (My DAD had a cow, but eventually came around) And while I may from time to time wonder what might have happened if I hadn't taken that chance....I know I made the right decision.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search