Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 03:12 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times

Advertisements

Glad you're not. That 's going too far to bring a laptop IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 03:24 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,458 times
Nope, no laptop. I think it'd be too much of a distraction. Eventually, I could see the use of tablets being acceptable. They all have note-taking software available.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:23 PM

6 posts, read 52,570 times
Depends on your industry and location. When I interviewed candidates in an online marketing agency in the SF Bay Area where CEOs of tech companies wear blazers and jeans, using a tablet would have been acceptable and maybe even sent a signal that you were tech saavy. When I moved down to LA to interview at a traditional manufacturing company, I brought my leather portfolio pad. Even though I was there to start up the e-commerce division, I knew that being traditional and professional was more important than being cutting edge based on the existing culture of the company. Of course, I brought my laptop in case there were some things I wanted to present. But either way, make sure you don't ignore the interviewer and get distracted by using your laptop and tablet. I've interviewed dozens of candidates over the years, and being all there with the interviewer and expressing interest is far more important than what you use to take notes.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:29 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Nope, no laptop. I think it'd be too much of a distraction. Eventually, I could see the use of tablets being acceptable. They all have note-taking software available.
This is what I was going to say. Either a tablet or just take notes on paper. Laptops take too long to spin up and put a physical barrier between you and the person you're speaking to. You're trying to make a connection during the interview, so putting up a barrier sends the wrong message.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:32 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,366 times
At 54, I'm too old and technologically unable to learn new technologies or know about Livescribe Smartpens.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:42 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I sell in the high tech space..........looking to get objective feedback on perception of interviewee using laptop for notes instead of traditional pad and paper.

Why you ask, because it's more efficient IMO. Just type notes in the cloud don't have to read my scribbles and then retype.

Your thoughts appreciated.

If the purpose of a interview is to connect with the interviewer's personality, then it would be no need to bring a notepad or laptop.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:05 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superflynut View Post
I've interviewed dozens of candidates over the years, and being all there with the interviewer and expressing interest is far more important than what you use to take notes.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
At 54, I'm too old and technologically unable to learn new technologies or know about Livescribe Smartpens.
I hear you! I fear there might come a day when a percentage of the nouveau populace will hear a reminder on their devices to move their bowels based on the input of pre-programming pertinent data of their dietary intake, quantity and time of ingestion. Brains will no longer be necessary except for very basic functions. The average human only uses 1/3 of its brain capability/capacity anyway. When the whole technological system goes down - oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
If the purpose of a interview is to connect with the interviewer's personality, then it would be no need to bring a notepad or laptop.
Since when was the purpose of an interview to "connect with the interviewer's personality"? The purpose of an interview is to present yourself in the best possible light to the interviewer based on your qualifications for the position.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:07 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
Remind me to be on the lookout for these once I become a hiring manager in the future..

Old 08-28-2013, 06:07 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,419,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
/serious?

Oops, I just did a skills interview today and used a laptop to record the person's answers. I got the feeling that it might be distracting for the interviewee but my handwriting is so terrible, I didn't feel that I had a viable choice. It may have been more distracting for me to write the stuff down and constantly ask him to repeat himself.

This will likely be the last interview I do for a long while, so I'm not too worried about it.
My bad, I thought the OP was the interviewee, not interviewer. I work in Finance and it would just be weird to sit and take notes as an interviewee

Old 08-28-2013, 06:11 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
My bad, I thought the OP was the interviewee, not interviewer. I work in Finance and it would just be weird to sit and take notes as an interviewee
You're not wrong. The OP is an interviewee, looking for input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search