Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 09:35 PM

170 posts, read 373,019 times

Advertisements

I'm talking about if you're a perspective employee. If you've linked your Google+ account to your Youtube account, will they look at every comment you've ever made on Youtube?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 09:43 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
I'm talking about if you're a perspective employee. If you've linked your Google+ account to your Youtube account, will they check to see every comment you've ever made on Youtube?
Depends on the employer. Some will only do the traditional employment reference and background checks, others will use a data broker to get everything related to you floating around.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Depends on the employer. Some will only do the traditional employment reference and background checks, others will use a data broker to get everything related to you floating around.
Can I get a more specific answer than "some do this, some do that"? Approximately what percentage of companies use data brokers?

Old 11-19-2013, 10:01 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Can I get a more specific answer than "some do this, some do that"? Approximately what percentage of companies use data brokers?
No, you can't. The information you are asking for doesn't exist. And even if you did what good would it do? You would still need to know if the specific companies you were applying to did it.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:23 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
This is why you do not use your real name on the internet.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
No, you can't. The information you are asking for doesn't exist. And even if you did what good would it do?
If only 1% of companies are doing the über-invasive background checks, then I'm not concerned. I'm asking how common this type of stuff is. My personal email address that I used on my resume can't be traced to anything, but my old email address can be traced to my Youtube account. I disassociated my old email address from my LinkedIn and Facebook, so I don't think anyone could find it unless it is still in the database of some background check agency. The fact that I need to fret over my internet usage when looking for a job is ridiculous in the first place. I'm just trying to get a feel for how much "cleanup" I have to do. Surely someone here can give me an idea of what a usual background check entails, whether big companies do more intensive background checks, whether they truly try to pry into your Facebook account if it's set to private, etcetera.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This is why you do not use your real name on the internet.
Even if you're using a pseudonym, that can be found out if someone is very nosy and skilled at doing research on the internet.

Just for fun, I did my own background check on some of my friends. Using only their email address and Google, I could turn up some of their forum activity and some of their comments on the WSJ/NYT/etc. article comments section.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:06 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,309 times
They could but i doubt theres any urgency or probable cause. They use other companies to get fingerprints and background checks and drug tests so that means they dont have resources to process employees in that level and trust the system in place
Ive worked in a few major corporations. One big oil firm has overkill safety programs where they call you knowing that theres big chance youd be driving and if you answer your phone then that is serious point against you. They also time how fast you drove from point A to point B like when going to clients or a business continuity site. But IF they only check my facebook page/posts they would find out i'm into highly modified cars, drifting and amateur racing. They havent raised this as a concern so i dont think theyd go that far unless your under investigation about a matter that is more serious (and safety is already very serious to them)

Old 11-20-2013, 05:31 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Even if you're using a pseudonym, that can be found out if someone is very nosy and skilled at doing research on the internet.

Just for fun, I did my own background check on some of my friends. Using only their email address and Google, I could turn up some of their forum activity and some of their comments on the WSJ/NYT/etc. article comments section.
Nope. I have used several different searches for my name. The only thing that comes up is my name, an incorrect birthdate, an incorrect age, and incorrect addresses. Nothing else shows. And I don't mean I use a "people search", either, I'm not new to the computer world. I would say I've hidden myself pretty well.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:42 AM

586 posts, read 830,641 times
Where I am now asked me to sign an agreement allowing them full access to look over my posting history on all social media. They don't require the use of an outside company to check on someones background either so I have no doubts that a comprehensive search was done.

I didn't have to sign it but I chose to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search