Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 06:41 PM

8 posts, read 73,974 times

Advertisements

I just had a job interview today (it was the 2nd and final round), and an hour later the interviewer emailed me about filling out an employment application. I wasn't able to get to it then because I didn't get home until a few hours later, and she called me while I was out and left a voicemail saying I needed to complete it by the end of the day and she also wanted to hear some feedback from me. Has anyone else been asked to complete an application form AFTER the interview? it seems a bit odd to me, as I've only been asked before interviews to complete an application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 06:48 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
My current employer does this and I think it is odd. They only ask for a resume up front. At the interview they ask for the application. It seemed so strange to me, I sent the application along with my resume.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:53 PM

Do you think it's an indication that they are interested in giving you an offer? Or just a formality they go through with everyone?

Old 06-26-2014, 06:55 PM

46 posts, read 86,528 times
Unless they had some interest, they wouldn't ask for this.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:58 PM

Yep, it's the first time an interviewer has contacted me the same day after the interview, and she said it was a part of the "next steps" in the process, so I guess i'm being hopeful. However, after many interviews and rejections I'm still quite jaded about the whole process.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:59 PM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
In my experience, the application is just a formality (and/or a legal requirement) for the file they have created for candidates who are invited for in-person interviews.

I typically email the application to candidates who are invited to an in-person interview and ask them to complete it and bring it with them....but once, I forgot to send it ahead of time and had to ask them to complete it and send it back to me once they had already left.

It's no big deal.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:03 PM

Yeah, but she worded it as the "next steps" so if she simply forgot to give it to me beforehand I hope she isn't just trying to cover up her tracks.. In my previous HR job, we never had the applicants fill out employment applications so I thought it was a bit odd. She also seemed pretty concerned with me doing it right away, hence the email and phone call, are these time sensitive?

Old 06-26-2014, 07:17 PM

336 posts, read 589,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecreamsicle View Post
Yeah, but she worded it as the "next steps" so if she simply forgot to give it to me beforehand I hope she isn't just trying to cover up her tracks.. In my previous HR job, we never had the applicants fill out employment applications so I thought it was a bit odd. She also seemed pretty concerned with me doing it right away, hence the email and phone call, are these time sensitive?
I would treat it that way. She did mention that she needed for you to complete it by the end of the day.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:01 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,692,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
In my experience, the application is just a formality (and/or a legal requirement) for the file they have created for candidates who are invited for in-person interviews.

I typically email the application to candidates who are invited to an in-person interview and ask them to complete it and bring it with them....but once, I forgot to send it ahead of time and had to ask them to complete it and send it back to me once they had already left.

It's no big deal.
This is what usually happens. So when you axe them from the candidate pool, do you just throw it into the shredder?

Old 06-26-2014, 08:22 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecreamsicle View Post
Sorry, but it certainly does sound she is trying to cover her tracks, based on the urgency. This was something she was supposed to have you do on site, and she forgot. So she needs it done right away before anyone else finds out she forgot.

You're definitely in the running, but this HR dolt forgot to have you fill this out at the interview and is now it is urgent for her to get it done.

Her concern that you do it right away is the give away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search