Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 09:45 AM

10 posts, read 25,747 times

Advertisements

I just started a job in September, and it is a really horrific place to work. I feel fortunate that I have a job, and I hate complaining about it, because while the work involved is generally good and relevant to my degrees, the people here are terrible. The management team is catty, competitive and hostile, and I've been warned that I may not be a good "cultural fit," though I have been told that, in spite of this, I have exceeded expectations when it comes to my responsibilities. I know this sounds crazy, but I'd really just like a job that values hard work and not the ability to be liked by 70 other people that I don't even work with on a daily basis. Additionally, I believe that I will soon be fired if I don't voluntarily quit. I left a pretty good job for this one, and they've already filled my position (it was small company and there wasn't really room for advancement), so I have to start all over again. I wonder if:

a) I should keep this little three month stint on my resume. My last job I had for only a year, and I had one other before that for a year, as well. I was in graduate school prior to that and mostly worked at restaurants and as a T.A.
b) How do I explain a gap in employment if I don't keep this on my resume, or how do I explain why I'm leaving after only three months?

I am really looking for a job that I can stay at for a while - I want a career, and not a job. I was hoping my current place of employment would be that place, but I feel like I'm in some kind of sorority, always being watched for the type of behavior they're looking for. I know that this is part of working, but I've been reported twice already, and I truly believe it's beyond fixing - I will eventually be let go because it's gotten to the point that even when I keep my head down and just work, I'm accused of being antisocial. Now I know how to approach a new company for my next position, and I have learned from the mistakes I made here. Any suggestions on how to approach job searching would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search