Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 11:59 AM

12 posts, read 12,400 times

Advertisements

The legal right of privacy has been defined as the right to be let alone, the right of a person "to withhold himself and his property from public scrutiny if he so chooses.

Why, then do the majority of jobs require references?

As a rational human being, people I would use as references are people that I respect and do not want to see bothered by multiple people throughout their day asking trivial questions about me.

Since when do businesses have more power to pry into our lives than our own government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 12:04 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,606,265 times
There is no requirement for you to apply for employment. You can operate your own business and avoid the questions by employers. They cannot force you to reveal this information unless you choose to, therefore there is no violation of privacy except by your choice.

As a business owner, you may find that some customers will not hire you without references either. It is again your choice to provide them or do without that business.

Life is full of choices, but rights are only violated when forceably denied. Surrender of ones rights is a choice, not a violation.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:04 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Oh my. You are kidding, right?

No company I have ever applied to has had access to my phone records. No company I have ever applied to has had access to my personal emails. No company I have ever applied to has had the capability of eavesdropping on my conversations through my cell phone - even if the cell phone is off - because the only way to bypass this is by removing the battery.

Companies are allowed to hear the opinions of other people before they invest in a new employee. It appears you will have to start your own company (where you hire people without getting the opinions of references) if you plan on working.

By the way, this is just my opinion, but you do not sound like a rational human being.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:08 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
I too feel uncomfortable imposing on others for a reference and also think they are rather worthless.

1. Most companies will only give out titles and dates of employment

2. Anyone can find or pay someone to say nice things about them.

3. In the few cases of bad references I've seen it has always been more reflective of the low moral character of the person giving the reference than the person it was about. A decent person would just decline to be a reference rather than go out of their way to sabotage someone. I had a sociopathic PI in grad school do this and was fortunate to have gotten a heads up from a colleague.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
There is no requirement for you to apply for employment. You can operate your own business and avoid the questions by employers. They cannot force you to reveal this information unless you choose to, therefore there is no violation of privacy except by your choice.

As a business owner, you may find that some customers will not hire you without references either. It is again your choice to provide them or do without that business.

Life is full of choices, but rights are only violated when forceably denied. Surrender of ones rights is a choice, not a violation.

So, in essence you are saying, employers get to make their own rules regardless if they violate the law. Since I have the ability to go somewhere else, I should just ignore what's going on behind their "private" doors?

This is a democratic nation and while applying for jobs today, over 90% required me to list references to even send in an application. Employers have no right to pry into my life and ask people about me; yet over 90% require me to submit to this?

Old 06-25-2014, 12:20 PM

589 posts, read 696,409 times
I only give references when I've actually talked to someone regarding the position. I don't give them out on an initial application. That way, my references aren't bombarded with phone calls without prior notice.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Oh my. You are kidding, right?

No company I have ever applied to has had access to my phone records. No company I have ever applied to has had access to my personal emails. No company I have ever applied to has had the capability of eavesdropping on my conversations through my cell phone - even if the cell phone is off - because the only way to bypass this is by removing the battery.

Companies are allowed to hear the opinions of other people before they invest in a new employee. It appears you will have to start your own company (where you hire people without getting the opinions of references) if you plan on working.

By the way, this is just my opinion, but you do not sound like a rational human being.
You are comparing apples to oranges. Invasion of privacy does not have to be extreme. Companies are allowed to hear opinions all they want, but they don't have the right to require prospective employees to give them their leads.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:28 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobTime View Post
You are comparing apples to oranges. Invasion of privacy does not have to be extreme. Companies are allowed to hear opinions all they want, but they don't have the right to require prospective employees to give them their leads.

Using your quote, I'm not the one who compared apples with oranges:

Quote:
Since when do businesses have more power to pry into our lives than our own government?
I simply pointed out instances where the government has done a lot more digging than any company I have ever applied to.

Asking for references is not a violation of rights, nor is it an invasion of privacy. What's the problem, are you in the witness protection program or something?

ETA: Do cite the law companies are violating in asking for references.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:28 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,292 times
Quote:
So, in essence you are saying, employers get to make their own rules regardless if they violate the law. Since I have the ability to go somewhere else, I should just ignore what's going on behind their "private" doors?

This is a democratic nation and while applying for jobs today, over 90% required me to list references to even send in an application. Employers have no right to pry into my life and ask people about me; yet over 90% require me to submit to this?
And what law is that?

Old 06-25-2014, 12:29 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,606,265 times
Quote:

Name any law that has been violated. Everyone has the right to ask for references. It is up to you to agree or not.

This is not a democratic nation. The definition of this form of government is a Republic. A democracy would require every citizen to vote on every action of the government. We instead rely upon representatives such as congressmen, senators, mayors, councilmembers and other elected advocates to make legislative and administrative rules on our behalf.

I am surprised that only 90% have demanded references from you. It is a standard practise to eliminate marginal or suspect candidate by placing hiring barriers before them. Only a highly desirable candidate is offered a position without being interviewed or screened by multiple reviewers. Most candidate must provide references, unless their credentials or skills are truly remarkable.

I can understand some people becoming uncomfortable about their past and disliking the need to verify their statements, but it is the right of any employer to verify what an applicant states in their application and to verify the past employment history. In some cases, the references are character based rather than performance based, but you did not indicate which type bothered you so I am presuming that both types hit your hot button.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search