Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,918 times

Advertisements

I've recently received a verbal offer in which I asked for a formal offer letter just so I have something in writing. This is my first offer letter so I have nothing to compare it to in terms of what I am about to ask. Upon just receiving the offer letter, there are some things that concern me however I'm not sure if this is standard for them to state this. I understand there are probation periods usually the first three months. They wrote that during this period, that there is no guarantee of continued employment nor is there any contract of employment and both parties may end employment at any time. This makes it sound more like a temporary role than a perm. Has anyone ever received that line in their offer letter?

I'm kind of nervous and worried by that statement. I don't want to sign up for something that sounds so unsure however I know that if you're not doing your job right within those three months then they have a reason to let you go.

Is it normal to receive that statement in the offer letter? Please provide some comments, advice, anything is appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 07:22 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Yes, it is the norm. Many probationary periods are 3 months to 1 year. If you think that sounds bad, almost everyone is an at will employee, meaning they could terminate you whenever they want at any given time for no apparent reason. You just learn to deal with it. Good luck.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:26 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Pretty standard. After all, what is the point of having a probationary period if you can't get rid of people who don't work out.

I would not view that phrase as a reclassification of terms, it is simply a clearly articulated statement of fact.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:34 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,280 times
That is a typical "at will" statement. Your whole employment is likely at will anyway, meaning you can be terminated at any time for just about anything.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:38 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that is pretty much how it works all the time, not just on probation.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:42 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Totally normal in an offer letter. As long as you do fine you have nothing to worry about. Every corporate job I have had has that wording in the contract.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:50 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Doesn't matter. They could let you go the day after you arrived - even if you had a contract. Those words shouldn't stress you.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:10 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
I had a job with a 1 year probationary period, I wouldn't worry, it's pretty standard.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:18 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
I understand there are probation periods usually the first three months. They wrote that during this period, that there is no guarantee of continued employment
That's included so you are aware that you are not guaranteed employment for the full probationary period. There are some who think that this period is a guaranteed period and they will not be terminated unless they complete the full probationary period and didn't make the grade.

nor is there any contract of employment
This is to ensure you are aware that the offer letter is not an employment contract and can't be used as a employment contract regardless of any promises made in it. Some attorneys will attempt to create a implied employment contract out of an offer letter, so the employer is nipping that at the bud.

and both parties may end employment at any time.
That wasn't necessary unless in Montana since most other states are full "At Will" which is as already explained.

Most of this is just to protect the employer and to make sure your aware of the the offer's legal status.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:34 AM

241 posts, read 316,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Doesn't matter. They could let you go the day after you arrived - even if you had a contract. Those words shouldn't stress you.
Well they could, but there most definitely would be compensatory damages unless you were fired for cause. There have even be cases of damages being award to at-will employees depending on the circumstances of the dismissal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search